Consequences of a bad engine mount?

Old April 12th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Consequences of a bad engine mount?

My 05 Maxima SE (25,000 miles) , when hot, sometimes sounds like a
very rough diesel at idle and row RPMs.

A dealership mechanic finally heard the vibration (I happened to be
near the dealership when the problem re-occured) and said it
could be a bad engine mount. I'm supposed to take the car
in tomorrow.

The car has been doing that for several months (dealership was
never able to confirm it before today), any chance that some damage
has already occured?

Thanks a lot!

Old April 12th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"223rem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My 05 Maxima SE (25,000 miles) , when hot, sometimes sounds like a
> very rough diesel at idle and row RPMs.
>
> A dealership mechanic finally heard the vibration (I happened to be
> near the dealership when the problem re-occured) and said it
> could be a bad engine mount. I'm supposed to take the car
> in tomorrow.
>
> The car has been doing that for several months (dealership was
> never able to confirm it before today), any chance that some damage
> has already occured?
>
> Thanks a lot!

If you haven't heard unbearable noises, chances are good that nothing
has been hurt--maybe just a little shroud-plastic scratched on the inside if
it has a mechanical fan and fan shroud surrounding it. s

Old April 14th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

under the conditions you mentioned and without mechanical damage to
cause it - you might check for a "recall".

a broken / loose motor mount can put a strain on the other motor mounts,
and on devices that are dependent on stability the motor mounts offer. I
would have all the mounts replaced AND adjusted to spec..

motor mounts per 'se are subjected to undue strain / wear at times and
in so doing break / fail, especially if they are slightly mis-aligned to
began with.

the motor / running gear should be adequately anchored and in alignment
to perform well.

mho
vfe