Need Cleaning Crew Advice

Old September 4th 03, 04:54 AM
Mort

Default Need Cleaning Crew Advice

"Mort" wrote in message
y.com...
Hi all, I have a 75 gal with a DSB and only 25lbs of LR for the time

being.
I will be adding more LR in the near future. I also have a PC fixture

with
260W total... 2-10000K and 2-Actinic. The tank has been running for a
couple of weeks now and I am statring to see some algea on the sand and

well
as lots of other debris that I can not identify. Also, some of the LR

that
I bought had a dark green algea.... I ended up cycling the tank with a
couple of damsels despite the freindly warnings I received. (My wife and
kid kept pressuring me to get some fish) But that should not inhibit my
selection of inverts right?

My plans are to eventually have FOWLR. "For now" I am interested in

getting
some sort of triggerfish to keep for a while. I will make sure I have all
my LR first though so the crabs and shrimp have a place to hide. Is this
okay or is mixing the two out of the question? If that is the case I will
avoid the triggerfish as I would like to have some inverts. After a year

or
two I plan on (slowly) converting my wet/dry to a refugium and then add
corals once the nirtates are all but gone.

With all that in mind, I need advice on what and how many creatures to get
for a cleaning crew. Also perhaps a reputable mail order source.

TIA

~Mort

I have done some research on cleaning crews and I have a couple of
questions...

I was amazed that online sources are recommending 30 to 50 snails!

IME snails breed like crazy in FW tanks. Is that not the case with SW
snails?

Also are Turbo snails and Astrea snails the same or do they substitute one
for the other?

~Mort

Old September 4th 03, 06:08 PM
Richard Reynolds

you guys take all the fun out of reef keeping, you should get that trigger, and then place
bets on how long it takes him to eat everything, buy more stuff and repeat at least
until he has eaten all your LR

--
Richard Reynolds

Old September 4th 03, 09:17 PM
Richard Reynolds

Honey, we cant keep a trigger in THAT tank so we will have to set up ANOTHER
one for you. =) MWUAHAHAHAAA

now your getting the hang of it

--
Richard Reynolds

Old September 5th 03, 01:02 AM
Dave

Marc Levenson wrote in message ...

I'd get about 20 hermits as well.

Marc, where do you get extra shells for your hermits when they outgrow
their existing shells?

All my hermits but one have died from outgrowing their shells. I try
to give them larger shells that I get from my LFS (shells that had
been used before by hermits, as far as I know) but they seem to only
rarely accept them. Kinda frustrating, because I love those little
critters.

- thanks
Dave
Old September 5th 03, 03:05 AM
Mort

"Marc Levenson" wrote in message
Hi Mort,

Yep, tons of snails and hermits would be a good idea. However, 1 per

gallon
seems excessive to me.

I'd say you need 15 to 20 snails in your tank, and of course you can

always add
more if you feel they are not keeping up. Snails do lay eggs in sal****er
tanks, but unless they are ignored, the babies will be consumed by the

lucky
critter that discovered them. I wouldn't count on them propagating to the

point
of usefulness.

I'd get about 20 hermits as well.

Turbos and Astreas have been used interchangeably, but they are really not

the
same at all. One is a big round shell, and the other is more like a

rounded
pyramid. And even I mix them up, because others do as well. I ordered 6

Turbos
last week, which are the big snails (similar to what you might find in

your
garden perhaps), but instead I got the tiny rounded pyramid kind. The

vendor
called them "Turbo Astreas" which is even worse!

I like to get a mixture of snails of different kinds, as they all have

different
needs. I've got the Red Footed Snail, the Wavy Turban, Margaritas,

Turbos,
Astreas, Nassarius, and more.

Triggers will eat anything they can find, and their sharp beak-like mouth

will
enjoy shrimps, crabs, snails and more. Not a good choice imho.

Just get a clowfish and by happy. grin

Marc

What do you think of this mix?

Algae Control Critters Special...

36 Turbo Snail {astrae}, 12 Med Blue Leg Hermits, 10 Scarlet Reef Hermits, 4
Emerald Crab, 6 Nerite Snails, 6 Cerith Snails and 2 Star Snail.

Free Shipping & Box. Price: $99.00

I thought I remembered Emerald Crabs being a pest...
Is this good? How's the price?

~Mort

Old September 5th 03, 04:51 AM
Thomas Bishop

"Marc Levenson" wrote in message
Turbos and Astreas have been used interchangeably, but they are really not
the same at all. One is a big round shell, and the other is more like a
rounded pyramid. And even I mix them up, because others do as well. I

ordered 6
Turbos last week, which are the big snails (similar to what you might

find in
your garden perhaps), but instead I got the tiny rounded pyramid kind.

I used to always get them mixed up. I finally remembered because every
Astrea I've ever had has died. The turbos are much better and can flip
themselves when turned upside down. Are turbos and Trochus the same thing?
Is Trochus the scientific name? When I go to the LFS and tell them I want
Trochus snails they look at me like I'm dumb. Every time.

vendor called them "Turbo Astreas" which is even worse!

I've seen that. I think if you're going to sell snails you should at least
be able to tell them apart. I haven't seen many online vendors who sell
more than just Turbos and Astreas. Where can I get some cerith, netrite,
and star snails such as Mort described?

Old September 5th 03, 04:51 AM
Thomas Bishop

"Mort" wrote in message
I thought I remembered Emerald Crabs being a pest...

I've heard that before, but I've had three in my 10 gallon and they haven't
bothered anything. They're certainly not bothering anything any more, rest
their souls. G

Old September 5th 03, 05:27 AM
Mort

"Thomas Bishop" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Actually, my assortment that I listed was a direct cut and paste from a
website that Pszemol had given me.

http://www.reeftopia.com/Quality_Critters.html

We are prolly going to split an order pretty soon here as soon as I can
figure out what to get =)

HTH

~Mort

Old September 5th 03, 06:09 AM
Richard Reynolds

I thought I remembered Emerald Crabs being a pest...

I've heard that before, but I've had three in my 10 gallon and they haven't
bothered anything. They're certainly not bothering anything any more, rest
their souls. G

there is the ocasional demon and if you dont feed them they will eat other things(be a
pest) but otherwise there good.

--
Richard Reynolds

Old September 5th 03, 07:22 AM
Marc Levenson

I've bought a bag full of shells, but typically they slaughter the snail of choice and steal
that shell. I rarely see a hermit die in my tanks. But I'm always buying snails. LOL.

Marc

Personal Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/oanda/index.html
Business Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com
Marine Hobbyist: http://www.melevsreef.com

cleanup crew? Zerotwist General 2 February 28th 04 11:39 PM
New fishkeeper, advice sought David Gordon General 3 October 24th 03 08:20 AM
cleaning sand david Reefs 1 August 20th 03 01:41 PM
Moving - Advice wanted area 51 Reefs 0 August 11th 03 09:50 AM
Advice on first marine tank Lone6Wolfpack General 3 July 15th 03 06:11 PM