'96 Explorer XLT: Best location for tube subwoofer?

Old March 3rd 05, 08:51 PM
Bob

Default '96 Explorer XLT: Best location for tube subwoofer?

I just installed a Bazooka EL8A 8" amplified sub in my 1996 Ford
Explorer. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best location
for it? Now I have it just behind the rear seat facing back towards
the rear hatch due to wire length restrictions, but I'm willing to
extend the wires if there is a better location for it.

Thanks.
Old March 4th 05, 04:25 AM
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

Why not use it for a headrest?
I TOTALLY enjoy jamming those with the loud booming stereos! it works GREAT,
sometimes blows up the amp or pops the speakers. All we do is key up TWO
high power VHF or UHF transmitters at the same time, on the same frequency.
The resulting squeal comes thru their system AT FULL VOLUME hahaha.Since it
gets directly into the amp and cabling the head end volume controls DONT
WORK.
I wish i had a picture of some of the looks we get

Yeah..use the boomtube for a headrest..that will work.

Old March 4th 05, 06:19 AM
Kevin D

He's kidding, Bob.

You ARE kidding....aren't you Doc?

Actually, a better answer would have been to disconnect the thing, take it
back to the store and get your money back. Your fellow drivers will thank
you now for your consideration. Most of us would rather not have our cars
vibrate as if they were at the epicenter of an earthquake that registers 9.7
on the Richter scale. If you really must do this, be considerate and do it
when you're all alone on the road, and NOT when stopped at a traffic light.
Thank you in advance.

Also, your ears will thank you 20 years from now when all your friends are
deaf, but you can still hear frequencies above 8 kHz. Trust me on this one.

I know that you think it's cool. It isn't; it's stupid and makes you look
like an idiot. Trust me on this one, too. When I was 16 I had a Firebird
Formula 400. I thought that I was soooo cooool doing my 20-second burnouts.
I wasn't; I was screaming to the world that I was an immature brat who
needed to have his car taken away and his ass spanked.

om...

Old March 4th 05, 03:03 PM
Charlie Bress

The high priced talent makes music the way they think it should be played.
The recording engineer adjusts the sound so it reflects his taste and maybe
that of the talent.
The folks make the play back equipment take pains to reproduce the sound
without distorting it or coloring it.

Them along comes somebody without a ounce of talent and screws it up beyond
belief and says "listen to how great this is"

Charlie

Old March 4th 05, 04:18 PM
Bob

My reasons for installing a sub are very simple. There is no way even
good quality 5x7 speakers (I have Boston Acoustics) in the doors can
reproduce anywhere near *natural* bass. I am not into playing my
system so loud to cause hearing damage or bother other drivers. I also
did not do it to "look cool"...I am well past that point in my life.
It's very simple...I did it because I enjoy good sound.

Now, does anyone have any suggestions for placement of the sub without
a lecture attached? :-)

Old March 4th 05, 11:40 PM
Kevin D

Sorry Bob...looks like you're gonna get lectured from everyone here!

Old March 5th 05, 01:44 AM
Searcher 1

I think the you should return that tube crap, there is no way to get "good"
sound from it no matter where you place it.
What you can do is lose any 2 or 3 way speakers that you have. The only way
to get good quality sound is to go with seperates. Yea, you can put seps in
your doors. I have done it, I got one 8" one 5.25" and one tweet in my
doors on my Toyota Tac. You have to custom make a door panel but it can be
done. I put 1000 wats to Boston Acs from a Rockford fos, I also had mids and
tweets in the dash. I had superb quality sound without the distraction for
others. I too went through the phase with boom cars, I had an 85 Z28 that
pushed the envelope at 3500 watts (RMS) with and SPL level of 158. It was of
course a show car that won highest SPL's with quality. All this was back in
the late 80's. Thats why remote control stereos came out, you really could
not be in the car for SPL testing. But, now I have ":grown up" I have
extreme quality without the SPL's, Oh I could drown out the road hmmmmmm,
but I don't I have a child now and I love to hear him wisper! Trust me guys
and no lectures here, I am now in your shoes I cannot stand pulling up to a
light with that dumb ass blasting foul mouthed music while my son is in ear
shot. You should hear disney tunes @ 1000 watts not loud but quality sound!
You can really pick out just about every instrument.

Searcher1

Old March 5th 05, 01:46 PM
wabbitslayer

try placing it at an angle towards one of the back corners instead of
directly perpendicular to the back hatch.

how far away is the driver from the back hatch?

Old March 5th 05, 01:59 PM
Vic Klein

I don't think location for subwoofers is particularly critical as those
freqencies are non-directional and penetrate through things pretty well
(hence the less helpful comments on the installation concept). I don't know
the dimensions of your "tube", but one option might be to locate it under
the rear seat. Careful placement might not even interfere with the ability
to lower the seat, and you will save the space in the rear for cargo. I
mounted my CD changer under the seat early on, positioned to fit between the
seat frame members when the seat is folded up, and have been quite happy
with that.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA

Old March 5th 05, 04:23 PM
Bob

THanks Vic. Putting it under the rear seat is a good idea, but the
tube is about 9" diameter and it won't fit there.

Vic Klein > wrote:

:I don't think location for subwoofers is particularly critical as those
:freqencies are non-directional and penetrate through things pretty well
hence the less helpful comments on the installation concept). I don't know
:the dimensions of your "tube", but one option might be to locate it under
:the rear seat. Careful placement might not even interfere with the ability
:to lower the seat, and you will save the space in the rear for cargo. I
:mounted my CD changer under the seat early on, positioned to fit between the
:seat frame members when the seat is folded up, and have been quite happy
:with that.
:
:=Vic=
:Bear Gap, PA