clicking noise on 99 VW Passat (6 Cyl) - only when clutch engaged

Old March 30th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default clicking noise on 99 VW Passat (6 Cyl) - only when clutch engaged

When I make a turn, of any radius, whith the clutch engaged, there is a
clicking noise coming from the front of the car. Going straight, there
is no sound, and if I disengage the clutch, the noise disappears....

Any ideas?

Old March 30th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Sounds like CV joints. Check the condition of the boots, inner and outer
joints.
I just got through doing 3 of the boots on a 2001 Passat V6 auto. It was
clicking too.
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

oups.com...

Old April 1st 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

If it ain't the CV joint, either one, could be the "throw out bearing"
preceeding the clutch, at the clutch fork.
--
Jonny
oups.com...

Old April 1st 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Explain why it is only there on turns? If it's a clutch issue it would do it
regardless off which way the wheels are turned!

link.net...

Old April 2nd 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

It sounds like you need to service your outer CV joints. You can do
one of two things. Pull the half shafts off, remove the clamps and
boots, and degrease the joints. This should be done every 100,000
miles anyway. I even pull the joints off the half shafts and put them
on the other shaft so they wear more evenly and last longer. Reinstall
the boots, fill with the grease for that purpose, or use AMSOIL HD
Grease with moly (one tube of GHD-CR on their web site), and reinstall
the clamps. You're good for another 100,000 miles.

The cheap and dirty solution is to put a needle fitting on your grease
gun, shove the needle between the boot and half shaft from the engine
side, and put several pumps of grease into the joint. You aren't
servicing the joints by doing this but you are giving them much needed
new lubrication. The first solution is the best if you plan on keeping
your VW past 8 years.

Old April 2nd 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

That will work, great on CVs not clicking already. But is actually better
on Air-cooled VWs , not water cooled. Because they trash at 30,000 miles,
not 100,000. But if they are clicking already they are worn ,not lacking
grease. I wouldn't take off CV joints and lube and replace them with 100,000
miles on them. Maybe 10,000 and only because a boot tore and I caught it
right away. They will probably start clicking within two months as soon as
you move the grease around driving on them. Its a waste of time and energy.
Id change them for the cost is not much for rebuilt shafts , verses putting
new boots on old shafts with new grease. I,d think very hard about putting
used shafts on a car if I had them off already. Also about putting used
boots back on, Then about all the trouble cleaning them in solvent and
regreasing them. Then doing it again in three months because they still
click. Also if your needle fitting slips under the boot and clamp on your
shaft. The clamps too loose. CVs work because the boot keeps grease in and
dirt out. If you can grease them, you're screwed. grease the boot , Change
the clamp .
oups.com...

Old April 3rd 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

If you don't mind doing the work yourself...............clean, inspect and
repack those CV Joints or replace the driveshafts.
If someone else is doing the work and you don't mind spending the $$$ then
have new/rebuilt driveshafts put on.
Repacking those CV Joints might be fine! ;-)

JMHO
--
later,
dave

et...

Old April 5th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I have 165,000 miles on my front CV joints. No clicking ever by
servicing them at 100,000 mile intervals. Maybe it's the AMSOIL HD
grease that makes the difference? I have never used the OE grease. My
boots do not have a clamp on the half shaft side. It is easy to slip a
needle fitting in there and add grease. No leaks there either. Mine
is a 91 Jetta. My first (85) Jetta went 300,000 miles on the original
CV joints. I saved them for a project car when I took the car out of
service due to severe body rust where someone welded a new trunk on the
back of the car. I still have the engine and tranny from that car too.
Know where I can get a good, rust free 91 Jetta diesel body to put
them in? Nothing like one of these for a commuter car that gets 50 mpg
and lasts 10 years or more with a little TLC! No payments either!