I had babies!!!! well... the Guppies did...

Old August 5th 03, 04:40 PM
Shawn

Default I had babies!!!! well... the Guppies did...

I was told that fish would have black poo if they ate babies.
I just collected 46 baby guppies last Friday, 29 days from her last batch.
You should be able to find more. Check around the stones, plants... Or they
were eaten by adult fish.

"RedForeman " wrote in message
well only 2 as of now, but not sure if more are coming....

2Female Guppies, 1 Male

Yesterday, found two things floating... well... swimming around in the

back
upper corner... upon closer inspection, it turned out to be to sets of
eyes... Whoooo hooooo!!! That is very cool....

Ok, feeding crushed flake, and they are eating, seen their bellies get
big... so... anything else to feed them, that flakes aren't gonna do?

Do adult gupps eat babies?
The mothers are still fat, does that mean more are on their way?
Gestation is 28 days, does that mean in 28 days, this will happen again?

Is
that guaranteed?

Old August 5th 03, 08:01 PM
RedForeman

First time as an aqua-dad? congrats.

Yes, I've tried with my peacocks, but they just weren't as easy as these....
peacocks are more tricky, and demanding... I wasn't even expecting
these..... they are actually a friends tank, but my fish.... I hope she
doesn't read this group, cause I'm claiming them.. hahaha LOL....

Crushed flake is a complete food so that will be fine for them,
I breed them and supply a handful of shops so I also feed them
high-protien granuals but for home breeding it's not needed.

Good, for a few days this will be all I have, but will be getting some
better variety soon...

Fry will only be eaten by adulty guppy if they are not being fed
enough and are hence are hungry, or if they are stressed usually due
to overstocking. However in a community predatory fish will hunt fry.

No predators, except for a lone cory cat, who hides mostly, not interested..
his buddy passed several months ago mysteriously....

Guppy females are always fat, they swell and shrink surprisingly
little during pregnancy, though a batch of fry may take up to 2 days
to be released, though usually much less.

At 28c (82.4f) a new batch of fry is pretty much guaranteed in 28
days.

the females were added several months back and I'm curious why it took so
long, I guess maturity?

Old August 5th 03, 08:23 PM
Dave Painter

"RedForeman " wrote in message
well only 2 as of now, but not sure if more are coming....

2Female Guppies, 1 Male

Yesterday, found two things floating... well... swimming around in the

back
upper corner... upon closer inspection, it turned out to be to sets of
eyes... Whoooo hooooo!!! That is very cool....

Ok, feeding crushed flake, and they are eating, seen their bellies get
big... so... anything else to feed them, that flakes aren't gonna do?

Flake is good, there are liquifry foods designed for the smaller mouth.

Do adult gupps eat babies?

Yes if they are hungry and they can find/catch the fry.

The mothers are still fat, does that mean more are on their way?

Probably, yes!

Gestation is 28 days, does that mean in 28 days, this will happen again?

Probably, yes. Provided that the tank is not too crowded, and the water
stays at its current
levels of pH, nitrate/ammonia etc etc.
Your water is obviously good for them. Keep it the same and it should work
again.

Is that guaranteed?

No. Temperature affects them, length of day light affects gestation, etc
etc, lots of variables.

Hope that answers the immediate questions,
Congratulations

Dave

Old August 5th 03, 09:39 PM
Jim Brown

RedForeman wrote in message
First time as an aqua-dad? congrats.

snipped
At 28c (82.4f) a new batch of fry is pretty much guaranteed in 28
days.

the females were added several months back and I'm curious why it took so
long, I guess maturity?

The females need to be about 60 days old in order to be impregnated, and
they have to be with virile males to do so.
In your case, they may not have had an active male with them. Also,
consider that you only saw 2 babies this time. If those 2 babies had been
'eaten', you would still be waiting. You may well have completely missed
prior spawns.
At least, in 26 days, you can segregate the female, provide a thicket of
plants for the soon to be born fry, and the count should be much higher.

Jim

Old August 6th 03, 04:24 PM
RedForeman

First time as an aqua-dad? congrats.

snipped
At 28c (82.4f) a new batch of fry is pretty much guaranteed in 28
days.

the females were added several months back and I'm curious why it took

so
long, I guess maturity?

The females need to be about 60 days old in order to be impregnated, and
they have to be with virile males to do so.
In your case, they may not have had an active male with them. Also,
consider that you only saw 2 babies this time. If those 2 babies had been
'eaten', you would still be waiting. You may well have completely missed
prior spawns.
At least, in 26 days, you can segregate the female, provide a thicket of
plants for the soon to be born fry, and the count should be much higher.

Jim

Done, the first time she plumped up, I took out the plastic plants, and put
in some java fern and another cover plant... seen her behind the fern a few
times, angled at 60deg head up, and looked like she was 'pooping' and never
really gave it much thought... figured it was normal... but that was several
weeks ago...

thanks Jim..

Old August 6th 03, 11:33 PM
LilDescartes

Well, if the adults haven't eaten the little ones yet, they will soon....
unfoutunately. You need to separate them somehow: tank divider, breeding trap,
etc. As to how often, that depends. How well do the guppies like YOUR
partcular setup? Population, size, plants, lighting, temp, pH, water change
frequency, etc. are all factors to consider. In ideal conditions (commercial
breedery) you can get a batch about every 33 days. Babies also like to eat
freshly hatched brine shrimp, but a quality flake food will grow them up just
fine, as long as the pieces are small enough flr them to get into their mouths.
Old August 7th 03, 12:44 AM
Len

I disagree with the many comments recently that adult guppies always eat the fry.
I have a tank with 6 half black pastel guppies. One of the females had some fry.
The other fish don't bother them. I have found this to be the case quite often.
Stan Shubel, in his book, says that if a female eats her fry, that he gets rid of
it.

Old August 7th 03, 10:36 AM
Mr.Nice.

Twas Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:44:45 -0400 when Len put
finger to keyboard producing:

I disagree with the many comments recently that adult guppies always eat the fry.
I have a tank with 6 half black pastel guppies. One of the females had some fry.
The other fish don't bother them. I have found this to be the case quite often.
Stan Shubel, in his book, says that if a female eats her fry, that he gets rid of
it.

I quite agree, I breed guppy and have found that if the adults are
well fed and so not hungry and are not stressed, usually caused by
over stocking in breeding tanks, then the fry will not be eaten.

--
Regards.
Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Free Fish: rasboras, guppies and common goldfish. Columbus, Ohio Katzchen Marketplace 0 December 10th 03 06:40 PM
When are fancy guppies are old enough to breed? Jim Brown General 0 July 14th 03 05:38 PM
Are my guppies ok? HJK General 1 July 11th 03 01:13 AM
Guppies!!!!!!!!!! so soon! Cammie General 1 July 10th 03 01:03 PM