MileMarker PE8000

Old January 15th 05, 07:15 PM
Joe

Jerry,
your right, that mile marker PE8000 is the same exact winch that Harbor
Fright Tools carries. Same price, same specs, same controller, just a
different branded product. I cant believe I was suckered by mile marker in
thinking it was thier exclusive electric winch. I'll just save for a Warn
8000.

also saw these postings

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...oto=nextoldest

-Joe

Old January 19th 05, 09:24 PM

I think both you guys take this whole process WAY too seriously: after
being in the military for awhile and seeing the cheap POS gear they
foisted off on us, there's one explanation for such a huge contract (if
the whole Army indeed uses them): some congressman's brother owns Mile
Marker. Why do you think the Marines keep buying the Osprey aircraft?
Because at least one part is made in each 50 states. Look it up. They
may be great winches or they may be crap, but unfortunately I don't
believe that quality enters a whole lot into the equation. For every
Jeep-type quality product they get lucky creating, there are 50 F-18s,
H-60's, and M-16s.

Matt

Old January 19th 05, 09:54 PM
Jerry Bransford

Exactly. I've lost bids to the US Navy. where the end-users strongly
wanted only my product (supercomputers from the ex-superstar SGI
(Silicon Graphics Inc) and they were clearly superior to what won, but
my product still lost. Solely due to cost reasons and a purchasing
agent who was there solely to kill time towards her retirement. For
anyone to say Milemarker won because it was "better" has their head up
their ass.

Jerry

Old January 19th 05, 09:56 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think the "cheep POS gear" came along with Slick Willie's selling
of our missile technology to China, and the mass closing of our military
basses.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 20th 05, 12:45 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> and the mass closing of our military
> basses.
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/

Which the current VP was more than happy to start doing.

Old January 20th 05, 02:31 AM

Jerry Bransford wrote:
> Exactly. I've lost bids to the US Navy. where the end-users strongly

> wanted only my product (supercomputers from the ex-superstar SGI
> (Silicon Graphics Inc) and they were clearly superior to what won,

but
> my product still lost.

not a realistic comparison at all. just how much of a cost difference
are you talking about?

> For
> anyone to say Milemarker won because it was "better" has their head

up
> their ass.

im going to explain this again, but youll have to take off your
warn-colored glasses if you are to even have a chance of comprehending
it.

milemarker didnt take the contract because it was "better" than
electric winches. pay attention here. the hydraulic winch (not mile
marker specific, but hydraulic winching period) "won" over electric
because hydraulic is better for military applications (such as being
able to run indefinately under water, critical in amphibious landings)
so the military first determined that they would use hydraulic winches.
yes, mile marker showed the military that hydraulic winches are
superior to electric for military applications, but thats now what got
them the contract to build them for the military, that just changed
their thinking. now comes time for the bidding. on the one hand you
have a company that specializes in hydraulic winches. they already
have the R&D done, and the manufacturing capability to supply demand.
on the other hand you have a couple electric companies realizing "oh
****, we're about to loose out" so they scramble to try and rush some
R&D and production to stand a chance at winning the contract. now tell
me jerry, since youre a big time government contract guy, who do you
think can bid them much cheaper? a company already making them, or a
company scrambling to get something on the table?
try pulling off those warn-colored glasses sometime, at least long
enough to look at the real world. yes, milemarker proved to the
military that hydraulic winching was superior to electric for military
applications, but they got the contract because they specialize in
hydraulic winching and can do it cheaper (and better, but cheaper).

Old January 20th 05, 04:46 AM
Lon

That would make it very difficult to explain the POS level gear
rampant in the military long before slick willie first dipped his
noodle in the spaghetti. In the 50's and 60's, it was simply the
company with the more talented hookers of the appropriate
persuasion.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Old January 20th 05, 05:31 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I didn't see that in '66. I operated a theodolite, laser range
finder, and mechanical computer, light-years ahead of what we saw
surveying the highways at the time.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 21st 05, 04:35 AM
Lon

You must have been in the wrong place. I was at White Sands and
SAC Hqs and can recall several rather questionable contract awards
purely from a technical basis.