Equipment needed to self-service R134a air conditioner

Old July 11th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Masospaghetti

Default Equipment needed to self-service R134a air conditioner

Hey all -

I'm anticipating having to open up my air conditioning system on my '85
Corolla because there is a leak and I don't want to have to keep taking
this thing into the shop to have it serviced. I already planned on
getting an electric vacuum pump and a manifold gauge set. What else
would I need to empty the refrigerant and oil, flush, vacuum, and refill?

I am using R134a, the car has been retrofitted with fittings and o-rings.

THanks
James
Old July 11th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:44:27 -0500, Masospaghetti >
wrote:

>Hey all -
>
>I'm anticipating having to open up my air conditioning system on my '85
>Corolla because there is a leak

Have you found the leak?

> and I don't want to have to keep taking
>this thing into the shop to have it serviced. I already planned on
>getting an electric vacuum pump and a manifold gauge set. What else
>would I need to empty the refrigerant

I don't know of a cost effective way to do that at home, short of
illegaly dumping the refrigerant into the atmosphere. Probably best
to see if a shop will reclaim and use your refrigerant for free. If
the system is now empty it sounds like your list will get you by.
You might want to get some UV sensitive dye and a blacklight.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old July 11th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_1_]

"Masospaghetti" > wrote in message
> Hey all -
>
> I'm anticipating having to open up my air conditioning system on my '85
> Corolla because there is a leak and I don't want to have to keep taking
> this thing into the shop to have it serviced. I already planned on getting
> an electric vacuum pump and a manifold gauge set. What else would I need
> to empty the refrigerant and oil, flush, vacuum, and refill?
>
> I am using R134a, the car has been retrofitted with fittings and o-rings.
>
> THanks
> James

Find a refrigerator-repairman-friend & get a small compressor from an
old refrigerator: it makes a good vacuum pump for cheap! Used one for
years.......s

Old July 11th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Masospaghetti

Don wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:44:27 -0500, Masospaghetti >
> wrote:
>
>> Hey all -
>>
>> I'm anticipating having to open up my air conditioning system on my '85
>> Corolla because there is a leak

> Have you found the leak?

Yes, I can see oil weeping out of a pipe fitting on the low pressure
line. It has a slight tint of UV dye.

>> and I don't want to have to keep taking
>> this thing into the shop to have it serviced. I already planned on
>> getting an electric vacuum pump and a manifold gauge set. What else
>> would I need to empty the refrigerant

> I don't know of a cost effective way to do that at home, short of
> illegaly dumping the refrigerant into the atmosphere. Probably best
> to see if a shop will reclaim and use your refrigerant for free. If
> the system is now empty it sounds like your list will get you by.

Will dumping my refrigerant into the atmosphere get enough out to safely
put a vacuum on it anyway? Won't there still be oil in the system?

And is it important to have the system flushed out?

> You might want to get some UV sensitive dye and a blacklight.
>
> Don
> www.donsautomotive.com

Thanks Don.
James

Old July 11th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Masospaghetti

sdlomi2 wrote:
> "Masospaghetti" > wrote in message
>> Hey all -
>>
>> I'm anticipating having to open up my air conditioning system on my '85
>> Corolla because there is a leak and I don't want to have to keep taking
>> this thing into the shop to have it serviced. I already planned on getting
>> an electric vacuum pump and a manifold gauge set. What else would I need
>> to empty the refrigerant and oil, flush, vacuum, and refill?
>>
>> I am using R134a, the car has been retrofitted with fittings and o-rings.
>>
>> THanks
>> James

> Find a refrigerator-repairman-friend & get a small compressor from an
> old refrigerator: it makes a good vacuum pump for cheap! Used one for
> years.......s

I actually have an old dehumidifier, thanks for the idea!

On another note, would an air compressor also work as a vacuum pump in
any way? (I have one for airbrushing)
Old July 12th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_1_]

> On another note, would an air compressor also work as a vacuum pump in
> any way? (I have one for airbrushing)

Actually, SnapOn sells an air-compressor-operated vacuum pump which is
quite fast but not cheap. Quite small & compact, tho'. s

Old July 12th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Donald Lewis

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:33:41 -0500, Masospaghetti >
wrote:

>Don wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:44:27 -0500, Masospaghetti >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all -
>>>
>>> I'm anticipating having to open up my air conditioning system on my '85
>>> Corolla because there is a leak

>> Have you found the leak?

>Yes, I can see oil weeping out of a pipe fitting on the low pressure
>line. It has a slight tint of UV dye.
>>
>>> and I don't want to have to keep taking
>>> this thing into the shop to have it serviced. I already planned on
>>> getting an electric vacuum pump and a manifold gauge set. What else
>>> would I need to empty the refrigerant

>> I don't know of a cost effective way to do that at home, short of
>> illegaly dumping the refrigerant into the atmosphere. Probably best
>> to see if a shop will reclaim and use your refrigerant for free. If
>> the system is now empty it sounds like your list will get you by.

>Will dumping my refrigerant into the atmosphere

I don't care to advise you on that, sorry.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

> get enough out to safely
>put a vacuum on it anyway? Won't there still be oil in the system?
>
>And is it important to have the system flushed out?
>
>> You might want to get some UV sensitive dye and a blacklight.
>>
>> Don
>> www.donsautomotive.com
>>

>Thanks Don.
>James
>

>>> and oil, flush, vacuum, and refill?
>>>
>>> I am using R134a, the car has been retrofitted with fittings and o-rings.
>>>
>>> THanks
>>> James

Old July 12th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
anumber1

sdlomi2 wrote:
>>On another note, would an air compressor also work as a vacuum pump in
>>any way? (I have one for airbrushing)

> Actually, SnapOn sells an air-compressor-operated vacuum pump which is
> quite fast but not cheap. Quite small & compact, tho'. s

Harobor Freight sells one cheap...$10

Old July 12th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Norm De Plume

sdlomi2 wrote:

> Actually, SnapOn sells an air-compressor-operated vacuum pump which is
> quite fast but not cheap.

Is there anything from SnapOn that is cheap?

This came up on Final Jeopardy, and nobody could answer it.

Old July 12th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

anumber1 > wrote:

>Harobor Freight sells one cheap...$10
>
>http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92475

Will it crack in pieces and fall on the floor like my Harbor Freight
anvil did, or will it seize up internally and tear itself apart like
my friend's Harbor Freight grinder did?
--scott

Service David A Smith Alfa Romeo 4 October 19th 04 03:36 PM
BMW service lights in the UK spammy BMW 3 September 18th 04 06:55 PM
4x4 newbie. Rude and Intimidating Service Brent Murphy 4x4 32 March 16th 04 07:14 AM