Overfilled Oil

Old December 18th 04, 04:02 AM
SgtSilicon

Slight overfill... probably not. More than slight... maybe. I've
read that over filling can lead to rear or front bearing seal failure.
Failed seals can lead to well, let the experts in here tell you.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:13:58 -0500, "Spiderman"

Old December 18th 04, 04:05 AM
SgtSilicon

Best advice right here. Can't hurt to to have the correct amount of
oil, and it's not too tough to let a bit out.

Old December 18th 04, 04:38 AM
el Diablo

"Spiderman" > wrote in message

> "Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:16:35 -0500, "Spiderman"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>""Doc"" > wrote in message
> >>news > >>>

> >>Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis,
> >>Doc?
> >>

> > The diagnosis is "Nitwitcity"
> >
> > IOW, you paid Mr Goodwrench to screw up your vehicle. The crankshaft
> > can churn the oil causing it to become entrained with air bubbles, and
> > this is not a good thing for your main bearings.
> >
> > Dump the extra, do it now. And don't go back to the jerk you paid to
> > screw up your ride.
> >
> > Lg

> Hmmm....I wonder who's right? The Doc (leave it alone) or Lg (dump the

oil)?

Doc's right, as long as it's no more than 1/2" over full your OK. My 1994
Z34 has the 3.4 liter motor that takes a small oil filter and the manual
states 5-1/2 qts. with a filter change. I've put 6 qts. in it ever time I've
changed the oil. The motor has 126,000 fairly hard miles on it and runs like
new still.

Brian

Old December 18th 04, 05:43 AM
Spiderman

"Whitelightning" > wrote in message

> "Spiderman" > wrote in message
> news
>> Wouldn't the oil smell like gas then? It still smells like oil. Also, the
>> fuel gauge hasn't moved down abnormally.
>>

> I am going to side with Doc on this, 1/2" over the full mark wont hurt a
> thing, like he said they put 5 qts instead of 4.5 qts in.(based on the 90
> some odd oil changes my 91 has had in its 202,000 mile life time) 1/2 qt
> aint going to hurt a 4.3, the oil level still wont be close to the crank
> so
> no frothing at the dip stick to worry about..
>
> I got a kick out of how these threads get all bent out of shape, Spider
> don't worry about a fuel pump diaphragm because your truck doesn't have
> one,
> its fuel injected and has an electric fuel pump mounted in the tank.
> And where did he say anywhere in his posts that he took it of Mr.
> Goodwrench?
>
> Given you have a 4X4, removing the oil filter usually results in some
> spilt
> oil on the frame and skid plate, the drips in the drive way are probably
> from that. Good shop would have cleaned it up.
>
> Whitelightning

I originally asked the question because I did not want to waste fresh oil
for no good reason....and in my case, it looks like there isn't one. I
looked under the hood and DID notice some oil dripping down the skid
plate....like you said, it must have gotten spilt when they changed the
filter. I wiped up the excess and hopefully that will be the end of the
little oil drips! Thanks....very good and sensible post (just what I was
looking for)!

Old December 18th 04, 05:46 AM
johanb

"Ken Weitzel" > wrote in message

> johanb wrote:
> > "Spiderman" > wrote in message
> >

> >>Hmmm....I wonder who's right? The Doc (leave it alone) or Lg (dump the

> > oil)?
> >
> > I hope for you it is "doc"
> >
> > Or you can just take it out / have it taken out and spend a $ 19.95 on a

oil
> > change
> >
> > Or a couple of thousand on a motor
> >
> > You do the math..............
> >
> > Johan

> Hi...
>
> Maybe I'm over-simplifying... but the oil's new; why replace it?
>
> Why not just loosen the plug and let a bit out? Heck,
> clean the drain pan thoroughly first and save what you remove
> for a top-up.
>
> Course I am from the waste not want not generation
>
> Ken

Yeah, sounds good too

Long story short , why take the change........

Johan

Old December 18th 04, 06:28 AM
Steve W.

"Spiderman" > wrote in message

> ""Doc"" > wrote in message
> news

> >> I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as

> >> ride up the stem of the dipstick.

> > Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark.

GUESTIMATE how
> > far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different

than 2".

> > Doc

> Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the

diagnosis, Doc?

1/2" won't hurt you at all. That equates to about 1/2 quart. I always
put in 5 quarts with filter change in the wifes 4.3. Look at it this
way. The sump holds 3 quarts without touching the crank (the crank is
actually 1" or so in the oil before the pump starts working). Now when
you actually start the engine the oil pump does it's job. On the 4X4
with the small filter the filter holds 1/2 quart, the lines and cooler
hold another 1/2 quart. Now add the oil passages in the engine up and
that takes another 1.5 quarts. What does that leave in the sump? Correct
, 2 quarts. If it takes 3 quarts to get to the crank you still have 1
quart to play with.

Now if you go nuts and dump 6-7 quarts in you will have problems.

Old December 18th 04, 06:32 AM
Scott

""Doc"" > wrote in message

>>> Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE
>>> how far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different
>>> than 2".
>>>
>>> Doc

>> Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis,
>> Doc?

> It's fine. Your truck takes about 4.75 qts and they likely just added 5
> qts. 1/2" over "full" ain't going to hurt anything.
>
> Doc

Doc is right. The idea that your crank will have to spin through
the extra 1/2 quart is just wrong. Same for any idea about it causing
foaming and thus bearing failure.

When we used to rebuild engines we put an extra quart in to
be sure the new motor had plenty. A half quart overfill won't
hurt anything.

Old December 18th 04, 11:41 AM
Toy

"Spiderman" > wrote in message
>I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil
>change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading "off
>the charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery brown
>fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment. The
>fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has been
>thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent
>damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?

f'in hell all this over a ****y drop to much and that guy that said drain it
out and save it must be on skid row.

toy

Old December 18th 04, 02:34 PM
Woody

If it shows up in the oil pressure it is too late....

Old December 18th 04, 03:15 PM
Peter D. Hipson

To jump in, and repeat what others are going to say, 1/2" should not
cause any problems. It will allow you to go a bit further before
adding oil, if you had to add oil before.