Bad connotations? Chrysler

Old June 19th 05, 01:10 AM
RichA

Default Bad connotations? Chrysler

Chrysler Shuns Marketing Deal With Dukes of Hazzard Movie

InsideLine/Edmunds
Friday, June 17, 2005

Chelsea, Mich. - The Chrysler Group will not tie in any
marketing of its 2006 Dodge Charger with the upcoming
movie, The Dukes of Hazzard, because it is afraid the
display of the Confederate flag on the movie's vintage
Charger will offend some viewers.

The movie, scheduled to open August 5, is based on the TV
series that ran from 1979 to 1985 and featured "good old
boy" cousins eluding authorities in The General Lee, a
1969 orange Dodge Charger with a Confederate flag on the
roof. The movie stars Jessica Simpson, Burt Reynolds and
Willie Nelson.

"They gave us the treatment for the movie and talked
about a marketing deal, but we said we can't participate
if you keep the Confederate flag," Jason Vines, Chrysler
Group vice president of communications, told Inside Line.
"It's offensive to a lot of people. But they [Warner
Bros.] said 'no.' We still get a mention of the Charger
in the movie, but we couldn't do anything beyond that."

The Confederate battle flag, also called the Southern
Cross, has been at the center of controversy for years.
It has been described as a proud emblem of Southern
heritage and as a shameful reminder of slavery and
segregation. The Southern Poverty Law Center says more
than 500 extremist groups use the Southern Cross as one
of their symbols.

What this means to you: The General Lee rides again, but
Chrysler doesn't want anything to do with it.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106116

Old June 19th 05, 01:54 AM
Lee A.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 20:10:04 -0400, RichA > wrote:
Thats silly. That flag is a naval battle flag, and part of the
battle flag for the army of northen virgina... I mean come on, its a
flag. Get over it ppl, if chrysler wants to avoid racial problems with
it, then remind people there were black confederate soldiers who
faught in the ACW...... I will say this I saw the trailer for the
movie this weekend and it looks pretty good, they jump every damn
thing in site..... Oh well I prefer my mustang if I can get it
repaired.

Lee

Old June 19th 05, 03:00 AM
RichA

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 00:54:11 GMT, Lee A.
> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 20:10:04 -0400, RichA > wrote:
> Thats silly. That flag is a naval battle flag, and part of the
>battle flag for the army of northen virgina... I mean come on, its a
>flag. Get over it ppl, if chrysler wants to avoid racial problems with
>it, then remind people there were black confederate soldiers who
>faught in the ACW...... I will say this I saw the trailer for the
>movie this weekend and it looks pretty good, they jump every damn
>thing in site..... Oh well I prefer my mustang if I can get it
>repaired.
>
>Lee

Personally, I think the new Charger is more offensive
(taking into account it's noble past) than any painted
flag.

Old June 19th 05, 03:04 AM
66 6F HCS

"Lee A." > wrote
> I will say this I saw the trailer for the
> movie this weekend and it looks pretty good, they jump every damn
> thing in site.....

I'd prefer jumping Jessica Simpson.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289

Old June 19th 05, 11:38 AM
SVTKate

Of course, displaying the rebel flag is so much more offensive than any
manner of gore or degenerate behavior...

This PC stuff gives me a pain in the ass.

:

Old June 19th 05, 05:02 PM
RichA

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 10:38:24 GMT, "SVTKate"
> wrote:

>Of course, displaying the rebel flag is so much more offensive than any
>manner of gore or degenerate behavior...
>
>This PC stuff gives me a pain in the ass.

Corporate America lives in mortal fear of offending
anyone. It's one reason that movies are in the worst
slump they've been in ever. Everything is safe, unchallenging,
PC.