electrical nightmare 90YJ 2.5 "long"

Old March 5th 05, 11:39 AM
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Default electrical nightmare 90YJ 2.5 "long"

im electricaly challenged,,,, there its out,,,,,

problem,
drove to the store, on the way back noticed my dash gage (volts)
dropping, from past exper. my alternator was toast.
turned off heater, got home. volt-gage,,in the "low"-red.

took the altinator off,
noticed the hot wire had come off the connector, re-soldered wire to
connector, took altinator
to schucks had it tested,,tested bad.
bought new one.

installed, it,

now at various times, when i go to start the jeep,
i get the infamous click, just one click, (not like the older
selinoids. that rattle-clicked) just one, and then nuthing,

then turning key off, and back on. the jeep will start.

ive taken the alternator back off,
ive taken the starter off,

both have been tested and are in good condition.
ive checked / cleaned batt posts,
ive checked / wire conections.

battery shows 12v with a digital meter.

question,
if my hot-wire had arched to the altinator/ or a ground.
at any time,
would this cause damage to my brain-box-computer,
maybe not related, but i also seem to have no guts in inital take-off,
then everything kicks in around 3000rpm,
i used to have good take-off power,

all confused

johnp

Old March 5th 05, 02:31 PM
Mike Romain

You are describing a bad connection most likely in the ground circuit.
This can be a dirty connection on the black ground at the engine block
or a bad connection on the wire mesh ground strap from the rear of the
engine head to the firewall.

The other connection that can cause that if dirty is the one from the
battery to the starter relay on the firewall. That is also where the
alternator power wire hooks on so that is a likely corrosion spot
because the other end went bad.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 5th 05, 02:52 PM
RoyJ

What Mike said. More than likely a bad ground. If you've spent all the
money on new parts to no effect, just change the battery and ground
cables as well as the strap from engine to firewall.

Old March 5th 05, 03:01 PM
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Mike, sorry to apear stupid,,grrr,
but what and where-abouts, is the starter/batt relay,
ive looked everywhere, (i need a big sign)
all my wires are covered and im about to go out and cut them all loose,
but realy dont want to,

thanks,
johnp

Old March 5th 05, 03:22 PM
Mike Romain

Follow the smaller red wire from the battery. It will end at a relay
with a bunch of other wires on the firewall on the passenger side center
or thereabouts.

This post also has a red wire with a loop connector that goes to the
alternator and controls it's power output and that and the other loop
connectors with the fat tube rubber crimps are the fuse link wires you
might see us talk about.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 8th 05, 05:18 PM
Lee Ayrton

And, just for a "belt and suspenders" effect, it couldn't hurt for him to
add a ground strap from the alternator shell to the block. A mesh strap
is a couple of bucks at any auto parts retail chain.

--
"I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with
whips....r"