Pistons frozen to cylinders in a 1600dp

Old March 5th 05, 09:47 PM
Alex Gilblom

Default Pistons frozen to cylinders in a 1600dp

Hi,

Working on that `71 Ghia, I have the engine torn down, but pistons 1 and 3
are rusted/frozen to their respective cylinders. Any reccommended methods
for working them loose? I tried the rubber mallet on the fins but it didn't
make them budge.

Thanks.

-Alex

Old March 5th 05, 11:26 PM
Speedy Jim

Alex Gilblom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Working on that `71 Ghia, I have the engine torn down, but pistons 1 and 3
> are rusted/frozen to their respective cylinders. Any reccommended methods
> for working them loose? I tried the rubber mallet on the fins but it didn't
> make them budge.
>
> Thanks.

Frozen to the "pistons"? What happens if you turn the engine
pulley? If the cylinder lifts off the case, slide a block under
both sides of the cylinder and crank it back.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old March 6th 05, 04:08 AM
remco

> > Working on that `71 Ghia, I have the engine torn down, but pistons 1 and

3
> > are rusted/frozen to their respective cylinders. Any reccommended

methods
> > for working them loose? I tried the rubber mallet on the fins but it

didn't
> > make them budge.

Your pistons are frozen to your heads, then?
My bug experience is limited but I recenty stripped my engine down and the
heads came off easily.

A couple of months ago I did rebuild an outboard engine and would imagine
the same applies to bug engines.
It also had both pistons stuck to their cylinder walls. Spray it with good
penetrating oil first. Place a block of wood on top of the piston and tap it
down with a rubber mallet all while turning the flywheel with a wrench. Be
careful with the already liberated pistons: if they are floating around,
guide them back into the engine as it starts moving. Eventually it will
break loose and move freely.

Old March 6th 05, 04:17 AM
remco

> Your pistons are frozen to your heads, then?

Pistons frozen to cylinders, I mean -- Sorry, my brain is jammed in park.

Old March 7th 05, 10:01 PM
Alex Gilblom

Thanks for the replies, will try the penetrating oil later this week when
exams are out of the way.

-Alex

Old March 7th 05, 10:02 PM
Alex Gilblom

Yeah, pistons 1 and 3 are frozen to the cylinder walls, or vice versa, and
the cylidner travels with the piston when I turn the pulley. Was also
surprised that gasoline shot out of the fuel pump as well, the car's been
sitting for sixteen years and was drained of everything else.

-Alex

frozen brakes Briarpatch VW air cooled 1 February 27th 05 03:07 AM
best make of pistons and heads; 1600cc vs 1641cc Matt S VW air cooled 6 February 16th 05 11:44 PM
91 Dodge Colt...frozen? Son of Sam Technology 18 January 8th 05 03:22 PM
Why Won't a Frozen Battery Start a Vehicle. Denny B General 1 January 30th 04 02:48 AM