engine rebuild

Old February 24th 05, 09:55 PM
Pi-eyed Piper

Default engine rebuild

Is there any way to TELL that an engine has been rebuilt?

Old February 24th 05, 10:13 PM
Jeff Lowe

Pi-eyed Piper wrote:
> Is there any way to TELL that an engine has been rebuilt?

Pull the oil pan and visually check the cylinder bores. While there,
pull a couple bearing caps and plasti-gauge them. Run a compression
Check. Lift the valve cover and look for sludge. Check the valve guides
and seals for play/rot. Pull the thermostat and have a peek in the
water jacket. If you are real determined, pull the head and measure
cylinder bores.

--
jeff

Old February 24th 05, 10:32 PM
Mike Romain

Not really unless they changed major parts like the crank and the new
one has different specs that the one made for the engine.

The engine has codes on it on the oil boss by the filter if a 6 and
these tell over and under sizes on the bearings and crank. If you open
the bottom and take off one bearing cap, the bearing inside will be
marked with the same over or under size as the oil boss if the engine is
still stock 'maybe'. 'Usually' a rebuilt crank will be a different size
than the stock one.

I have seen a lot of scams where the only thing 'rebuilt' was the
gaskets and paint job and maybe some rings to get the compression back
up or maybe some stock sized bearings put in to raise the oil pressure
to look good.

'Rebuilt' 'can' just mean only one piston ring was changed because
nothing else was 'broken' so it is a loaded term. This is fully legit.

'Remanufactured' is supposed to mean all new moving parts.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 24th 05, 10:36 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

None, other we can see it's been apart by the unpainted gaskets,
maybe the use of silicone sealers. If the head's off you will see the
oversized size marked on the piston, same with the bearing inserts. It
wouldn't matter if it was rebuilt or not, if it passed a compression
test: http://www.georgiazclub.com/tips/ztech/comptest.htm My Bronco with
three hundred thousand miles is probably better than most rebuilts:
http://www.billhughes.com/smog.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old February 24th 05, 10:46 PM
Pi-eyed Piper

OK, thanks for that. My 258 has 290+KM on it, runs strong, burns no oil
doesn't smoke. I just dont know if it's original or not.

Old February 24th 05, 10:48 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Just keep changing the oil and filter every three thousand miles.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 24th 05, 10:54 PM
Pi-eyed Piper

im paranoid I change it every 2000 miles.

Old February 24th 05, 11:18 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It can't hurt, I'm sure you don't change exactly at two thousand
miles, just like I plan on changing at three, but stuff happens, and I
may let it slide out to about thirty five hundred, but at that mileage I
drop everything and do it!
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 24th 05, 11:21 PM
Pi-eyed Piper

ya, some times 1900 sometimes 2200...it seems like the oil stays perfectly
clean then looks like crap all in about a week..usually around 2000 miles

Old February 25th 05, 12:31 AM
Patrick

Hi, I have a 96 GC 279,800 Km , Not burning or leaking oil...
I6 are reliable and will last for ever if maintain proprelly

I was not sure if mine had been redone but been reading here on the Ng that
many people have in the 300,000 and still as new....

Patrick

7ktTd.3105$ab2.1775@edtnps89...