No dash/rear lights on 97 Suzuki Sidekick

Old January 4th 04, 07:20 PM
Brian Pipa

Default No dash/rear lights on 97 Suzuki Sidekick

Hi all,

I have what looks to be some sort of electrical problem with my 97
Suzuki Sidekick. When I turn on the lights, the headlights come on but
that's about it. No running lights come on, and none of the rear lights
come on at all. Also, the warning beep saying the lights are on when the
car is off does not come on. The radio and everything else as far as I
can tell works.

I have checked (with a continuity tester even) all of the fuses under
the hood and under the driver's side dash and they all are ok. I also
checked all of the bulbs in the rear and they were all good too. The
only bulbs in the back I didn't check were the bulbs that light the
license plate - I couldn't figure out how to get to them.

Anyone have any ideas on what else I need to check to get all my lights
working again? They just stopped working one day for no apparent reason.
I haven't done anything to the elecetrical system recently (I did
install a car radio myself about a year ago but never had any problems).
I do NOT have a trailer hitch/wiring installed.

Any help/hints would be much appreciated. Please post replies instead of
emailing. Thanks!

brian

Old January 4th 04, 08:33 PM
Jim

I'd be ordering a copy of the wiring diagrams. It's typical for the
headlights to be on a seperate circuit from the tail and dash lamps, but
there should be a fuse. Could be a fusable link, bad ground, or bad
connection at the bulkhead, or many other things. That's why you need
the wiring diagram.

Old January 4th 04, 08:33 PM
Jim

Old January 4th 04, 10:38 PM
E. Meyer

On 1/4/04 1:20 PM, in article
, "Brian Pipa"
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have what looks to be some sort of electrical problem with my 97
> Suzuki Sidekick. When I turn on the lights, the headlights come on but
> that's about it. No running lights come on, and none of the rear lights
> come on at all. Also, the warning beep saying the lights are on when the
> car is off does not come on. The radio and everything else as far as I
> can tell works.
>
> I have checked (with a continuity tester even) all of the fuses under
> the hood and under the driver's side dash and they all are ok. I also
> checked all of the bulbs in the rear and they were all good too. The
> only bulbs in the back I didn't check were the bulbs that light the
> license plate - I couldn't figure out how to get to them.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on what else I need to check to get all my lights
> working again? They just stopped working one day for no apparent reason.
> I haven't done anything to the elecetrical system recently (I did
> install a car radio myself about a year ago but never had any problems).
> I do NOT have a trailer hitch/wiring installed.
>
> Any help/hints would be much appreciated. Please post replies instead of
> emailing. Thanks!
>
> brian

When you installed the radio, did it have a place to connect the dash dimmer
wire? If not (most don't), did you seal off the unconnectable wire (tape it
up, etc.)? If that wire is still laying in there, it might have bounced
around until it shorted against something. The last two times I have seen
this problem, this was the cause. On many cars, the dash illumination and
the tail lights are on the same fuse.

Surely there is a fuse designated for either dash lights or tail lights?
Try replacing it anyway, even if it checked out as being good.

Old January 5th 04, 09:49 PM
Brian Pipa

E. Meyer wrote:

> When you installed the radio, did it have a place to connect the dash dimmer
> wire? If not (most don't), did you seal off the unconnectable wire (tape it
> up, etc.)? If that wire is still laying in there, it might have bounced
> around until it shorted against something. The last two times I have seen
> this problem, this was the cause. On many cars, the dash illumination and
> the tail lights are on the same fuse.

I just totally removed the radio and still no luck.

> Surely there is a fuse designated for either dash lights or tail lights?
> Try replacing it anyway, even if it checked out as being good.

Just tried that too. Still no lights. Guess it's off to the mechanic.

--
---
MP3 Automagic CD Cover Creator

Old January 5th 04, 09:49 PM
Brian Pipa

Old January 4th 04, 10:38 PM
E. Meyer

On 1/4/04 1:20 PM, in article
, "Brian Pipa"

Old January 5th 04, 09:36 PM
Brian Pipa

Well, I can't figure out what the problem is. I guess I'll take it to a
mechanic. For something like this, is it better to take it to the dealer
or to a good local mechanic?

--
---

Old January 5th 04, 10:06 PM
sdlomi2

"Brian Pipa" > wrote in message
r.com...
> Well, I can't figure out what the problem is. I guess I'll take it to a
> mechanic. For something like this, is it better to take it to the dealer
> or to a good local mechanic?
>
> --
> ---
> MP3 Automagic CD Cover Creator
> http://maccc.filenabber.com

Hi, Brian. If u know a good local mechanic who's good in electricals,
he'd be usually cheaper. In our 3-town area, the new-car dealers all send
their "we couldn't fix it at the dealership electrics" to one local
independent mech--best around. Better believe I quickly made a personal
friend here!
Also, car mfg's. usually put dash and taillites on same fuse/circuit so
driver is warned when his taillites fail by the lack of lite in his dash.
HTH & good luck, sdlomi

Old January 5th 04, 10:06 PM
sdlomi2

r.com...