1990 jeep cherokee no start

Old May 1st 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 1990 jeep cherokee no start

Hey guys,

I've got a very frustrating problem here. Customer brought in a 1990
Jeep cherokee limited, 4whldrv, automatic. We replaced the engine with
one from a 1996. All the appropriate electronics were switched from
the old engine to the new including, distributor, cap, rotor, coil,
CPS, flywheel, intake and exhaust, all injectors (already on old
intake). The problem is we now have a no start/no spark condition.
This swamp is common at our shop, (newer 4.0L into older jeep) and
always goes off without a hitch. This is the first time I've run into
this. We've replaced the CPS, coil and ignition module check out O.K.,
Distributor checks out. We even put all the suspect parts into another
jeep and they worked fine. The computer has also been replaced but to
no avail. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jesse

Old May 2nd 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That leaves wires! Check all the grounds that are on the passenger side
bolted to the block.

JoBo

oups.com...

Old May 2nd 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You'd think so wouldn't you. However, I did check all these and the
grounds are great. Turns over via starter with authority.

Old May 2nd 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

NEW INFO, fuel pump relay does not activate on cranking. When we
jumper the ballast resistor wires it chatters like crazy.

Old May 3rd 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

K....injectors aren't firing. Can manually operate relay to activate
pump but when cranking the injectors won't pulse or let fuel through.
Sounds like CPS again, doesn't it?

Old May 4th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!! Problem solved. You're not going to believe it
but it all comes down to wiring. (which I suspected in the first place
but thought I had eliminated that). I went back into the harness and
started checking wiring. I realized that when I was checking the
ground wires inside the wire loom that I missed about a 18 in section
just after the main splice on the firewall, engine side. They looked
good but decided to investigate further. Upon a more thorough visual
inspection I noticed two little pin holes where someone had apparantly
probed the wires at one point in time. Remembering that the customer
had told me he had submersed the jeep past the windsheild in soupy
water at one time I decided to remove the covering on the
wires.......They literally fell apart.

So....it all comes down to a bad ground. It was something simple but
hidden.

93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Cranks, But No Start Casper Jeep 44 November 25th 14 01:18 AM
What kind of oil to use for 1994 Jeep Cherokee? New Old Jeep Owner Jeep 10 March 4th 06 03:03 PM
1990 Jeep Cherokee [email protected] Technology 1 February 23rd 06 03:43 PM
1990 Jeep Cherokee jaska 4x4 0 September 17th 05 05:43 AM
FA: 1990 miata parts + much more to come - long list, many OEM &aftermarket parts for 1.6 and 1.8 liter M1's pws Mazda 6 August 2nd 05 02:53 AM