2005 odd shifting issue for fuel efficiency?

Old June 9th 05, 02:52 AM
Shagster

Default 2005 odd shifting issue for fuel efficiency?

My dad just bought a 2005 Corvette w/manual transmission.. He was telling
me about some type of "fuel efficiency" setting that sometimes forces him to
switch between certain gears... For example, sometimes he cannot switch
from 1st to 2nd... it forces him into 4th for fuel efficiency??

Has anyone hear of such a thing?? Also, where can I find out more... and
most importantly, how do we DISABLE it!?

Thanks,
Troy

Old June 9th 05, 03:35 AM
Vandervecken

The C6 stick has a "skip shift" gizmo that forces a 1->4 upshift under
certain combinations of RPM and throttle position. The range in which it
is in effect is fairly narrow. It's there to help Chevrolet meet
Federally-mandated fuel economy goals. It's a minor nuisance at worst,
easy to work around just by holding 1st to about 2200 RPM. And if you're
driving with any verve at all it'll sense the throttle application and
not enable the Skip Shift widget.

It works when the engine computer applies a voltage to a solenoid
installed on the transmission case. Just unplugging the solenoid will
defeat the gizmo but will cause a 'check engine' fault from the car's
on-board diagnostics. But you can trick it by unplugging the solenoid
and wiring a resistor across its former feed (I'm not sure of the proper
resistance). There are also numerous accessory kits on the market that
do the same thing.

-- Vandervecken
Old June 9th 05, 02:43 PM
lab~rat

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:35:00 -0500, Vandervecken
> puked:

>The C6 stick has a "skip shift" gizmo that forces a 1->4 upshift under
>certain combinations of RPM and throttle position. The range in which it
>is in effect is fairly narrow. It's there to help Chevrolet meet
>Federally-mandated fuel economy goals. It's a minor nuisance at worst,
>easy to work around just by holding 1st to about 2200 RPM. And if you're
>driving with any verve at all it'll sense the throttle application and
>not enable the Skip Shift widget.
>
>It works when the engine computer applies a voltage to a solenoid
>installed on the transmission case. Just unplugging the solenoid will
>defeat the gizmo but will cause a 'check engine' fault from the car's
>on-board diagnostics. But you can trick it by unplugging the solenoid
>and wiring a resistor across its former feed (I'm not sure of the proper
>resistance). There are also numerous accessory kits on the market that
>do the same thing.

The kit is called a 'Skip Shift Eliminator' which would be easy enough
to find on a search engine. I think www.ls1.com has some information,
too...
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Old June 12th 05, 06:18 AM

Time for your dad to install a CAGS eliminator.