6 or 4 cylinders for the wrangler ?

Old June 4th 05, 08:44 AM
Patrick

Default 6 or 4 cylinders for the wrangler ?

Hi,
Over here in old Europe ) wrangler jeeps are sold either with the 2.4 four
cylinder or the 4.0 six cylinder engine.
Due to the high price of gas i'm enclined for the 2.4 version but the
retailer told me it does not worth it compared to the 4.0 !
Is the four cylinders a bad purchase considering the usage will be 1/3 only
off road (to go fishing in remote access area) and it will be the third
vehicule in the family, for fun usage only ?
Thanks for your wise advices
Best regards
Patrick

Old June 4th 05, 10:07 AM
Dave Milne

I'd go for the 4.0 - if its the third vehicle for fun usage only, then the
you won't be doing that many miles on it so the difference in petrol won't
make so much of a difference.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old June 4th 05, 10:14 AM
Coasty

Coasty
Semper Paratus
(Always Ready)

"Patrick" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> Over here in old Europe ) wrangler jeeps are sold either with the 2.4
> four cylinder or the 4.0 six cylinder engine.

The same is true in the USA.

> Due to the high price of gas i'm enclined for the 2.4 version but the
> retailer told me it does not worth it compared to the 4.0 !

Over all the I-6 is a better engine. I get up to 18 MPG with my I-6 if you
keep your foot out of it.

> Is the four cylinders a bad purchase considering the usage will be 1/3
> only off road (to go fishing in remote access area) and it will be the
> third vehicule in the family, for fun usage only ?

The 4 banger is not a bad engine, in my opinion it just lacks power. The
truth to the matter, it is what you want and what you can afford. Be happy
with either and enjoy yourself.

Old June 4th 05, 12:42 PM
Bowgus

I have a Cherokee ('96) with the 4L 6-cyl ... perfect for my current needs
(good highway speed, pulls the boat, keeps me warm in the winter). When we
move to the west coast :-), I'll probably also get a (used) TJ 4-cyl manual
and command-trac. My opinion, for just taking it easy, a 4-cyl manual
coupled with the command-trac will get me any where I want to go ... just
more slowly :-). And the city (low speed?) mileage *seems to be better* by a
ratio of about 19/15 going by these numbers ... 2.4L 4-cyl, manual: 19 | 20;
2.4L 4-cyl, automatic: 17 | 19; 4.0L Inline 6-cyl, manual: 15 | 18; 4.0L
Inline 6-cyl, automatic: 14 | 18.

Old June 4th 05, 03:17 PM
DougW

Patrick did pass the time by typing:
> Hi,
> Over here in old Europe ) wrangler jeeps are sold either with the 2.4 four
> cylinder or the 4.0 six cylinder engine.
> Due to the high price of gas i'm enclined for the 2.4 version but the
> retailer told me it does not worth it compared to the 4.0 !
> Is the four cylinders a bad purchase considering the usage will be 1/3 only
> off road (to go fishing in remote access area) and it will be the third
> vehicule in the family, for fun usage only ?
> Thanks for your wise advices

Have you looked at the diesel? You get good power better economy and the
fuel costs are lower than unleaded gas.

--
DougW

Old June 4th 05, 03:24 PM
Dave Milne

Unless you know something we don't, there isn't a diesel Wrangler yet.
Although "mic canic" was going to post some photos of the one on his lot ...

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old June 4th 05, 03:40 PM
DougW

Dave Milne did pass the time by typing:
> Unless you know something we don't, there isn't a diesel Wrangler yet.
> Although "mic canic" was going to post some photos of the one on his lot ...

That's odd, I thought most vehicles made for your side of the pond were
usually produced in diesel first. Guess they didn't for the Wrangler.
How about a nice liberty diesel.

Old June 4th 05, 04:01 PM
Dave Milne

True enough pretty well. We had the XJ diesel (a 2.5 VM unit) and the
liberty diesel is with us. Also Grand Cherokee diesels too - they are pretty
popular. I'd like a diesel if they made a nice BIG one (a 4.0 diesel would
be terrific). But a Liberty ? I'll pass on your kind suggestion :-)

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old June 4th 05, 06:12 PM
Jeff Strickland

If you plan on a considerable amount of highway travel - open roads, doing
70+ mph - then you will be much happier with the 6, and the fuel mileage
isn't enough different to justify the smaller motor. If you will be driving
around town and hitting the occasional trail, then the 4 will be fine. If
you get the 4, be sure to take the manual trans, if you opt for the 6, then
it is your choice of manual or auto.

Old June 4th 05, 07:32 PM
Ruel Smith

Patrick wrote:

> Hi,
> Over here in old Europe ) wrangler jeeps are sold either with the 2.4
> four cylinder or the 4.0 six cylinder engine.
> Due to the high price of gas i'm enclined for the 2.4 version but the
> retailer told me it does not worth it compared to the 4.0 !
> Is the four cylinders a bad purchase considering the usage will be 1/3
> only off road (to go fishing in remote access area) and it will be the
> third vehicule in the family, for fun usage only ?

I don't know the EPA estimates, but I'm inclined to think that with a 3.07
for a 4.0 and a 4.10 for a 2.5, they ought to get about the same gas
mileage.

The 4.0 here in America is worth it based on resale alone. I've seen people
try and sell 2.5 Jeeps here in America and have difficulty selling them.
Seems everyone wants the 4.0.

--

Registered Linux user #378193