towing capacity

Old January 17th 05, 05:07 AM
mrdenial

Default towing capacity

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for a work truck to pull around a trailer that could weight
up to 6k. I also want to be able to pull around a trailer that has a
bobcat on it.

I was looking at an 86 ford f-250. From what I'm seeing, the towing
capacity was around 9,000lbs. This is under half of what the current
F-250's can tow.

It seems like the new F-150s can pull more than that.

How can a newer gas truck outpull a 6.9l diesel with a banks turbo?
Can the newer trucks really pull that much more?

-Daniel

Old January 17th 05, 06:53 AM
Jim Warman

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from...... depending on wheel
base, axle ration and motor, the 05 half ton can manage up to 9900 pounds.
Personally, I don't like dragging around a trailer that puts me at the
ragged edge of my GCWR. I have an 02 SuperCrew and my holiday trailer is
6,000 pounds.... this is no treat in the hills. The SuperDuty can be had
with a towing capacity up to about 15,000 with dual rears and the 6.0 or
6.8.

A couple of things I can't see.... depending on a truck that's nearing 20
years old to be reliable enough for work is one.... that old 6.9 IDI is just
about a fossil is another. Anyone I know with a bobcat is using a dual rear
F350 or similar - more guys with diesels than big blocks. If you're looking
for a used truck, there should be plenty of 7.3 DITs on the market that are
a little more suitable for your needs.

Current F250s are rated around 12,500.... that's a long way from twice
9,000. The 05 F150 with the 3 valve 5.4 is rated at 365 lb/ft at about 3800
rpm. The 6.9 torque peak will occur at a lower rpm, but it wont be too much
more than than the 5.4. The latest 6.0s are rated at 570 lb/ft @ 2000 rpm.
Sorry, I can't recall torque specs for either the 7.3 DI or the DIT...

ps.com...

Old January 17th 05, 04:16 PM
mrdenial

Yea, I guess I looking at the new F-350, it can do 19,200lbs with the
right setup.

I just want to make sure that I'm not making a mistake buying an older
truck. I thought that buying a F-250 diesel with a banks turbo would
mean that I'm buying something more powerful than todays smaller trucks
(F-150, etc.). The older trucks are cheaper...which is nice for a work
truck...and diesel will probably be better on the pocket book.

The truck I found has 96,000 miles on it. It also has the banks turbo.
The ladies son is the ford dealership in town. She says that she
takes it in anytime she hears a sound. So, that tells me it could be a
well taken care of truck.

So, if the current F-250s are rated at 12,500 and the 86 F-250s are
rated around 9k, then there isn't too much difference, right?
Thanks for everyones input.

Old January 18th 05, 01:19 AM
Jim Warman

I don't know... I'd say that 3000 pounds is fairly significant. I'm not sure
how much your bobcat weighs but, by the time you add the weight of the
trailer, tidy tank and fuel and so on, I think it would likely make the
extra capacity a nice addition. We have a lot of oilfield subcontractors
where I live... most of these guys (95%, at least) prefer to run trucks less
than 4 years old... the patch is hard on iron, but a solid business can't be
built if downtime becomes an issue.

As far as the 6.0s are concerned...... I believe that the 03s are past the
worst of it, what with that spate of bad injectors. The late 04s (the ones
with the ICP sensor built into the right side valve cover) where pretty good
though many suffered from transmission problems. The 05s are doing very well
though it appears that some bad transfer cases made it through the system...
no idea on how many but the problems surface long before warranty expires if
4X4 is used regularly. None of the 6.0s enjoy cold weather idling (no
diesels with EGR valves appear to enjoy it from what I hear)..... the
variable turbos gum up and keep the vanes from controlling the impeller
stage - and the EGRs gum up and can't move to match operating conditions.

Good luck with your business.... HTH.

"mrdenial" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Yea, I guess I looking at the new F-350, it can do 19,200lbs with the
> right setup.

TOWING A SATURN- from theCONFUSING owners handbook ! misterfact Saturn 25 November 5th 04 08:16 AM
96 Caravan - towing package? EdO Dodge 1 October 25th 04 04:43 AM
VW Golf towing delema Ingo Braune VW water cooled 3 September 22nd 04 04:08 AM
S-10 towing and tow lites wiring?? Steve 4x4 12 January 27th 04 12:55 PM