g25 and LFS and the clutch

Old April 30th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ray[_5_]

Default g25 and LFS and the clutch

I finally installed the G25 I got for xmas (two kids, don't ask where my
time goes....)

the only game I tried so far (rebuilt my pc in the fall, haven't
reinstalled anything yet) was Live For Speed - quick to download and
install the demo...

Anyway, so far it's a definite step up from my old non-FF Thrustmaster
wheel, but I do have a couple of questions.

The clutch - trying to use full manual clutch and the shifter - it seems
you have to depress the clutch ALL the way down during shifts or the
game thinks you're trying to shift sans clutch and gets hung in neutral.
In real life, you only "stab" the clutch on upshifts in a street
car, the only time the clutch goes to the floor is shifting into first.

I noticed this with my old wheel and the default setups - they're evil
handling. Both of the demo cars feel like I'm driving a Porsche 911
with about 500 pounds of sand in the trunk - very very susceptible to
snap oversteer and a pendulum effect. I've not driven a lot of FWD
performance cars, but the RWD one is even worse. My Trans Am doesn't do
that, my race car doesn't do that, it's only LFS that I seem to
experience that - is it something in the game or is it just my driving
style?

I've got a couple of other games and demos to reinstall, that was just
my first day experiences.

That and I still need to find a way to prevent my chair from sliding
backwards (it's on wheels.)

Ray