Favorite SUVs and Why?

Old July 3rd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
masonboro_island

Default Favorite SUVs and Why?

Just joined the group and I'm curious to learn more about SUVs in
particular...I might be in the market for one soon. So, in your
opinion what is the best brand...I won't be using it for off-roading
too much. I do like some of the Jeeps, though don't know if it's the
best brand out there and I like the look of the LR2.

Any feedback?

Old July 3rd 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On 3 Jul 2006 11:04:55 -0700, "masonboro_island" >
wrote:

>Just joined the group and I'm curious to learn more about SUVs in
>particular...I might be in the market for one soon. So, in your
>opinion what is the best brand...I won't be using it for off-roading
>too much. I do like some of the Jeeps, though don't know if it's the
>best brand out there and I like the look of the LR2.
>
>Any feedback?

Jeep Cherokee.

Unfortunately, they don't make 'em any more.

The replacement, the Liberty, is said by magazine tests to be a serious gas
hog. Plus, I've looked at 'em on the lot, and they hosed the entire cargo area
to put in a 3rd row of seats for a car I 99.9% operate alone. But I do haul an
array of tools and other things to deal with emergencies, and there's no cargo
space for those.

Won't be buying a Liberty.

Dave Head
Old July 3rd 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

masonboro_island wrote:
> Just joined the group and I'm curious to learn more about SUVs in
> particular...I might be in the market for one soon. So, in your
> opinion what is the best brand...I won't be using it for off-roading
> too much. I do like some of the Jeeps, though don't know if it's the
> best brand out there and I like the look of the LR2.
>
> Any feedback?

My all time favorite SUV is the International Harvester Scout II,
preferably with a 345/4bbl and 4-speed. I also like the original Ford
Bronco and pre-1973 Chevy Blazers - on all three the top comes off all
the way up to the windshield header, not behind the front seats like
the later models.

I have a feeling that my opinion is not the one you're looking for,
however... if you're considering an SUV for on-road driving, might I
ask, WHY?

nate

Old July 4th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ad absurdum per aspera

> won't be using it for off-roading too much.

Most owners of them don't, unless you count the big bumps that mark the
underground-tank inlets at the gas station, a place the larger SUVs,
especially, visit often and at length.

What problems *are* you trying to solve? Towing (how big a trailer?)
Load carrying (what size and shape and weight?) People carrying (how
many?). Recreational activities that involve awkward and/or dirty
equipment? Aesthetic/lifestyle preference for that style of vehicle?
Winter driving (how serious a winter?)

How much one/two passenger commuting and grocery getting is in the mix?

What about your parking situation?

Many would-be SUV owners who look at these factors might well conclude
that they'd be better served, with lower purchase and operating costs,
by some other type of vehicle, be it an AWD sedan or a minivan or a
crew-cab pickup. There are also a wide variety of SUV sizes these
days, and the smaller ones tend to be the more carlike, so look hard at
the towing/hauling aspects.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old July 5th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ad absurdum per aspera

> Why is "need" a requirement for buying something anymore?

Well, it isn't; but the range from Hyundai to Hummer is a wide one,
encompassing many many tradeoffs between advantages and drawbacks...
If you are buying a utility vehicle, a moment's thought to how you want
to, um utilize it can prevent much wailing and gnashing of gears, as
after spending large amounts of money to get something that doesn't
quite fill the bill.

All anybody learns from asking about my favorite is, well, what's best
for me. Given the incredibly wide range of technical attributes, size,
and price that goes under the catchall term "SUV," some discussion
might also be in order about whether I want to drag a two-horse
trailer, punch through to a house well off the main road before the
plow truck gets around to me, go up narrow trails high in the tall
timber, go down the road not taken while sitting in stop-and-go freeway
traffic en route to an office, keep up with whatever the Joneses are
jonesin' for on your block... (and yes, the motivations for wanting an
SUV are as diverse as their sizes and features!).

Oh, if a person want to impulse-buy one and see how the dice roll,
that's okay too, and is probably not that risky an idea if he knows
that he wants some kind of SUV and doesn't have specific technical
needs.... but potentially an expensive sport.

Certainly if I only got one roll, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, or something
of about its size and shape from the other makers, is traditionally the
natural seven of this game, the most satisfactory overall to a wide
range of users, among current models. (I'd druther have had the now
defunct XJ-series Cherokee -- the vehicle that, for better or worse,
turned the SUV from a pickup-based vehicle for farmers and duck hunters
to a more carlike mainstream choice -- or wait and hope the upcoming
Patriot grows a V6 option. But for now it's the GC or a trip down the
street to another dealer.)

If the original poster is just intrigued by SUVs rather than dead set
on one, I'd encourage him to take a first-principles look at his
vehicle needs... and consider whether he'd be happier (on less gas)
down where the definition of an SUV blurs into high-capability wagons
and sedans.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old July 6th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alex Rodriguez

Troll.
------------
Alex

Old July 6th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
John S.

masonboro_island wrote:
> Just joined the group and I'm curious to learn more about SUVs in
> particular...I might be in the market for one soon. So, in your
> opinion what is the best brand...I won't be using it for off-roading
> too much. I do like some of the Jeeps, though don't know if it's the
> best brand out there and I like the look of the LR2.
>
> Any feedback?

Brands are a bit tough to recommend until we have a better idea about
what your expectations are for load carrying, towing, milage, size,
ability to park in small spaces, passenger capacity, etc. SUV's range
in size from the tiny Toyota to the monster Hummer, Suburban and
Navigator.

Old July 9th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
masonboro_island

John S. wrote:
> masonboro_island wrote:
> > Just joined the group and I'm curious to learn more about SUVs in
> > particular...I might be in the market for one soon. So, in your
> > opinion what is the best brand...I won't be using it for off-roading
> > too much. I do like some of the Jeeps, though don't know if it's the
> > best brand out there and I like the look of the LR2.
> >
> > Any feedback?

> Brands are a bit tough to recommend until we have a better idea about
> what your expectations are for load carrying, towing, milage, size,
> ability to park in small spaces, passenger capacity, etc. SUV's range
> in size from the tiny Toyota to the monster Hummer, Suburban and
> Navigator.

Thanks for all the feedback. I suppose since I'm not looking for
something to go off-roading in, I'm looking for a really sturdy vehicle
that maneuvers well in snow and mud conditions. I like the idea of
sitting at a higher level then in my current car and while I'm not
carrying around a bunch of people now a days, I do like having the
space for people when I go on road trips. I like the option of having
a good navigation system as well. I know the LR3 has one but am not
sure about the LR2.

Given these details are there any particular brands you would
recommend? I do live in a city are so something that I can park in
reasonable spaces is good. And I would also like something that looks
a bit sportier, not just boxy...

Old July 10th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
John S.

masonboro_island wrote:
> John S. wrote:
> > masonboro_island wrote:
> > > Just joined the group and I'm curious to learn more about SUVs in
> > > particular...I might be in the market for one soon. So, in your
> > > opinion what is the best brand...I won't be using it for off-roading
> > > too much. I do like some of the Jeeps, though don't know if it's the
> > > best brand out there and I like the look of the LR2.
> > >
> > > Any feedback?

> > Brands are a bit tough to recommend until we have a better idea about
> > what your expectations are for load carrying, towing, milage, size,
> > ability to park in small spaces, passenger capacity, etc. SUV's range
> > in size from the tiny Toyota to the monster Hummer, Suburban and
> > Navigator.

> Thanks for all the feedback. I suppose since I'm not looking for
> something to go off-roading in, I'm looking for a really sturdy vehicle
> that maneuvers well in snow and mud conditions. I like the idea of
> sitting at a higher level then in my current car and while I'm not
> carrying around a bunch of people now a days, I do like having the
> space for people when I go on road trips. I like the option of having
> a good navigation system as well. I know the LR3 has one but am not
> sure about the LR2.
>
> Given these details are there any particular brands you would
> recommend? I do live in a city are so something that I can park in
> reasonable spaces is good. And I would also like something that looks
> a bit sportier, not just boxy...

I still don't have much of an idea about your requrements for towing,
milage, etc. So I will provide my idea of the best SUV on the road.
The Toyota Highlander with AWD is a reasonably roomy vehicle that will
perform well in snow and mud and will carry a good amount of luggage,
get decent milage and is easy to park.

Old July 10th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

masonboro_island wrote:
> John S. wrote:
> > masonboro_island wrote:
> > > Just joined the group and I'm curious to learn more about SUVs in
> > > particular...I might be in the market for one soon. So, in your
> > > opinion what is the best brand...I won't be using it for off-roading
> > > too much. I do like some of the Jeeps, though don't know if it's the
> > > best brand out there and I like the look of the LR2.
> > >
> > > Any feedback?

> > Brands are a bit tough to recommend until we have a better idea about
> > what your expectations are for load carrying, towing, milage, size,
> > ability to park in small spaces, passenger capacity, etc. SUV's range
> > in size from the tiny Toyota to the monster Hummer, Suburban and
> > Navigator.

> Thanks for all the feedback. I suppose since I'm not looking for
> something to go off-roading in, I'm looking for a really sturdy vehicle
> that maneuvers well in snow and mud conditions. I like the idea of
> sitting at a higher level then in my current car and while I'm not
> carrying around a bunch of people now a days, I do like having the
> space for people when I go on road trips. I like the option of having
> a good navigation system as well. I know the LR3 has one but am not
> sure about the LR2.
>
> Given these details are there any particular brands you would
> recommend? I do live in a city are so something that I can park in
> reasonable spaces is good. And I would also like something that looks
> a bit sportier, not just boxy...

>From my perspective, the only advantage to a taller vehicle is

visibility; for optimum handling you'd want to remain as close to the
ground as possible. Perhaps a Subaru station wagon? If you want to go
a little upmarket, how about one of the AWD offeringd from Audi or
Volvo?

nate