Cadillac Deville vs. Lincoln towncar

Old January 1st 05, 04:55 PM
Carmen Z.

Default Cadillac Deville vs. Lincoln towncar

I am looking to spend about $7000 for either cadillac deville or
lincoln towncar around 1998 model. (lincoln before 1998 model looks
very differnt and looks too "dated")

for this price, i can get 1998 cadillac deville with about 100,000
miles or 1998 lincoln towncar with 180,000 (in other words lincoln is
slightly more expensibe for used cars)

which car would be more dependable? I drove both cars (almost new ones
though) before and i thought cadillac drives a bit better yet lincon
feels more luxurious.

In New York City, a lot more limo compnanies and coprorate chauffers
choose to get lincoln towncar even though caddy gets 1-2 MPG better on
fuels. this might be due to that luxury feel of lincoln.

I also feel lincoln is designed more for the rear passenger than for
the driver. Am I right? even the steering wheel is very different.
lincoln's is very still the thick and feels awkward with wood/rubber.
while cadillac's steering wheel feel is covered with leather and very
friendly and fits my hand better, and very soft, fluid feel, very
joyful. the suspension and transmission and accerelation is better
with cadillac as well, the caddy body feels much lighter almost like
driving nothing even at hight speed the car is very quiet. lincoln was
a bit noisier though the difference was minimal.

lincoln had a body about 10 inch longer and trunk area was much bigger
than cadillac. lincoln also had sound alarm system to let driver know
when the rear bumper is close to obstacles, but it sounds too early, (
about 10 feel from obstacles, and i have to ignore that alarm anyway
to fit car in the small parking area, so has no practical use, unless
i was driking and driving (which i dont do). its actually annoying
because my passengers would freak out when they hear the parking alarm
and think i dont know what i am doing, or i am doing something wrong
with the car. i wish lincon set the distance from the obeject when the
alarm sound to about 1 foot. so i know exactly when i am just about
hit that obstacle.

I am trying to use the vehicle for my own personal use, but want to
impress some of my friend too, if its possible.

but what's most important is which is mechanically dependable and less
expensibe to maintain each year. By the way, I am a poor person with
big dreams and big love for American luxury cars. thanks for reading
and let me know about the comparison of cadillac vs lincoln. which do
you like better??
Old January 1st 05, 11:36 PM
AZGuy

On 1 Jan 2005 08:55:58 -0800, (Carmen Z.)
wrote:

>I am looking to spend about $7000 for either cadillac deville or
>lincoln towncar around 1998 model. (lincoln before 1998 model looks
>very differnt and looks too "dated")
>
>for this price, i can get 1998 cadillac deville with about 100,000
>miles or 1998 lincoln towncar with 180,000 (in other words lincoln is
>slightly more expensibe for used cars)
>
>which car would be more dependable? I drove both cars (almost new ones
>though) before and i thought cadillac drives a bit better yet lincon
>feels more luxurious.
>
>In New York City, a lot more limo compnanies and coprorate chauffers
>choose to get lincoln towncar even though caddy gets 1-2 MPG better on
>fuels. this might be due to that luxury feel of lincoln.
>
>I also feel lincoln is designed more for the rear passenger than for
>the driver. Am I right? even the steering wheel is very different.
>lincoln's is very still the thick and feels awkward with wood/rubber.
>while cadillac's steering wheel feel is covered with leather and very
>friendly and fits my hand better, and very soft, fluid feel, very
>joyful. the suspension and transmission and accerelation is better
>with cadillac as well, the caddy body feels much lighter almost like
>driving nothing even at hight speed the car is very quiet. lincoln was
>a bit noisier though the difference was minimal.
>
>lincoln had a body about 10 inch longer and trunk area was much bigger
>than cadillac. lincoln also had sound alarm system to let driver know
>when the rear bumper is close to obstacles, but it sounds too early, (
>about 10 feel from obstacles, and i have to ignore that alarm anyway
>to fit car in the small parking area, so has no practical use, unless
>i was driking and driving (which i dont do). its actually annoying
>because my passengers would freak out when they hear the parking alarm
>and think i dont know what i am doing, or i am doing something wrong
>with the car. i wish lincon set the distance from the obeject when the
>alarm sound to about 1 foot. so i know exactly when i am just about
>hit that obstacle.
>
>I am trying to use the vehicle for my own personal use, but want to
>impress some of my friend too, if its possible.
>
>but what's most important is which is mechanically dependable and less
>expensibe to maintain each year. By the way, I am a poor person with
>big dreams and big love for American luxury cars. thanks for reading
>and let me know about the comparison of cadillac vs lincoln. which do
>you like better??

The main issue I see is that the Caddy, at 100K *should* have another
50K to 100K of good miles left in it. The Lincoln is pretty much at
the point where anything could break at anytime. The Caddy is a more
uptodate design too although I think it's FWD which I hate, whereas
the Lincoln is RWD, which I much prefer. Still, it would be hard to
justify, to me anyway, throwing away the 80K miles difference. The
Caddy almost surely handles head and shoulders above the Lincoln too.
And I bet there isn't much difference in the interior room between the
two of them.
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Old January 2nd 05, 12:49 AM
Steve

Carmen Z. wrote:

> I am looking to spend about $7000 for either cadillac deville or
> lincoln towncar around 1998 model. (lincoln before 1998 model looks
> very differnt and looks too "dated")
>
> for this price, i can get 1998 cadillac deville with about 100,000
> miles or 1998 lincoln towncar with 180,000 (in other words lincoln is
> slightly more expensibe for used cars)

The miles are very hard to ignore. Cadillac wins here!

> which car would be more dependable? I drove both cars (almost new ones
> though) before and i thought cadillac drives a bit better yet lincon
> feels more luxurious.

It depends on how they've been maintained, though again almost 2:1
on miles makes Cadillac winner for this question, most likely.

> In New York City, a lot more limo compnanies and coprorate chauffers
> choose to get lincoln towncar even though caddy gets 1-2 MPG better on
> fuels. this might be due to that luxury feel of lincoln.

I think that is because of the rear wheel drive of the Lincon;
they are easier to work on than front wheel drive, and can be cheaper
to repair when they go bad. Lincoln wins for ease of repair, possible
cheaper for drive chain components.

> I also feel lincoln is designed more for the rear passenger than for
> the driver. Am I right? even the steering wheel is very different.
> lincoln's is very still the thick and feels awkward with wood/rubber.
> while cadillac's steering wheel feel is covered with leather and very
> friendly and fits my hand better, and very soft, fluid feel, very
> joyful. the suspension and transmission and accerelation is better
> with cadillac as well, the caddy body feels much lighter almost like
> driving nothing even at hight speed the car is very quiet. lincoln was
> a bit noisier though the difference was minimal.

The Cadillac suspension design is much newer and better than the Lincoln.
You've already proven that to your self. Caddy wins again.

> lincoln had a body about 10 inch longer and trunk area was much bigger
> than cadillac. lincoln also had sound alarm system to let driver know
> when the rear bumper is close to obstacles, but it sounds too early, (
> about 10 feel from obstacles, and i have to ignore that alarm anyway
> to fit car in the small parking area, so has no practical use, unless
> i was driking and driving (which i dont do). its actually annoying
> because my passengers would freak out when they hear the parking alarm
> and think i dont know what i am doing, or i am doing something wrong
> with the car. i wish lincon set the distance from the obeject when the
> alarm sound to about 1 foot. so i know exactly when i am just about
> hit that obstacle.
>
> I am trying to use the vehicle for my own personal use, but want to
> impress some of my friend too, if its possible.
>
> but what's most important is which is mechanically dependable and less
> expensibe to maintain each year. By the way, I am a poor person with
> big dreams and big love for American luxury cars. thanks for reading
> and let me know about the comparison of cadillac vs lincoln. which do
> you like better??

Sounds to me that you like the Caddy better.

Respectfully, I've never purchased a car to impress anyone. If you are
truly "poor", there are cheaper to buy AND maintain vehicles you should
consider. Either one of these cars can and/or will need repairs, and
luxury cars are NOT noted for being cheap to repair. I drive a '97
and '98 Buick; it's not a Caddy, but they look nice and get the job done.

Thanks, Steve