vtec valve adjustment air pressure

Old October 20th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default vtec valve adjustment air pressure

I want to check the valve adjustment on my 2003 Civic Hybrid.
I have 65,000 miles on it, and I have what sounds like valve lash noise on
cold startup for a few minutes.

In looking at the shop manual, there is a Honda Air Pressure Regulator,
07AAJ-PNAA100 that is used to pressurize the vtec. It looks like just a
0-100psi regulator and a hose.

I have a compressor, but I don't know what fitting is required where it
would connect to the block at "inspection hole B" on the head. What
fitting is that?

In looking at valve adjustment procedures on "temple of vtec", I don't see
any air pressure device mentioned.

Is the air pressure needed to adjust the valves, or is that only a check to
see if the vtec is working? The manual isn't written too clearly in this
area. The first mention of air pressure seems to be to check that you have
already applied it before the previous steps ;-)

It looks like 0-28psi should allow the rocker arms to be independent.
28-57psi is where they should become linked, and over 57psi should be
linked. Is that right?

--
---
Old October 21st 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

"TeGGeR?" > wrote:

> ...and spending more to buy it than you'll ever save on gas.

I'm past that point.

I think the argument recently noted in the press was "four to five year
payback" with an "average mileage of 15,000 miles per year".

I figured my breakeven would be about 100,000 miles, but the rise in gas
prices quickened that for me.

--
---
Old October 21st 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

"TeGGeR?" > wrote:

> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

I didn't think to prowl around the teggerFAQ for the vtec information. It
didn't come up in a Google search...

So, what about the air pressure? I assumed that was the same for any vtec.

--
---

rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 5 December 19th 05 05:36 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 4 October 19th 05 05:37 AM
92 Civic VX VTEC-E té_qui Honda 8 April 13th 05 05:46 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 November 1st 04 05:24 AM