Timing Belt Failure 43K Certified 2001.5 Celebration Edition Ultra Sport

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 2nd 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
TR3NDSETR

Default Timing Belt Failure 43K Certified 2001.5 Celebration Edition Ultra Sport

Timing belt failure on a Certified 2001.5 Audi A4 with a 1yr Assured
Warranty left on the car. Audi service will not cover the costs. I have
read many articles here where people have stated Audi wouldnt cover the
costs because they were over a certain mileage, or out of the warranty.
I dont think it makes a difference whether you have the warranty or
not...its still your headache....right now its mine. Bought my Audi
less than 2 yrs ago, Certified with 19K miles on it. First week, I
noticed the car didnt start first crank. Send it in, they said I needed
a new fuel Pump, and covered the expense, minus $50 deductible. But it
wasnt fixed. Sent it back, it was a tiny hole in a hose. Paid another
$50 for time and efforts. Less than 5K miles both tires blew, and one
rim was damaged due to some Bubbles formed on sidewalls of tires.
Tires not covered, nor was the rim. Cost to repair $880. At 27K miles
new brakes needed. Audi Reccomends changing Rotors also as they are
rusting. Rusty rotors arent covered in Assured Warranty. Cost $590.
Last weekend driving on hi way and battery light and check engine both
come on same time. By the time I get to hard shoulder the battery is
almost flat. Emergency Towing delivers at nearest dealer late at night.
BIG MISTAKE !!! Gave dealer the opportunity to diagnose and report
multiple repairs needed. New Battery, Alternator, and Time belts. Since
changing Time belt, he also reccomends changing water pump and
Tensioner, and some seal. $1800 for waterpump, seal and Time belt,
$1200 for Alternator, $285 Battery and $330 diagnosis. $3600 worth
damage without any warning.
Car is sittign at dealer right now. I called Audi America, they called
dealer, and reported back that at very minium even if I dont fix the
car I still have to pay the diagnosis fees. But in any case only the
alternator is covered on warranty. Everything else Im responsible for.
Audi Assured wont cover you for Time Belt or Battery. They stated
despite low mileage since the car is 2001.5 its 5yrs old, which is
considered "wear" , so timing belt is on me.

Car drives like a dream when working but when its not its a major
expense. This car has only and always been maintained by Audi but it
doesnt seem to matter. Audi will fix small items and easy fixers but
anything major they wont copver you. If you are going to buy Audi,
sell after the 4yr Warranty is over because maintanance is very pricy.

Has anyone else had this problem with time belts in such low mileage?
Have their been any Class actions against Audi... Im seriously
considering getting a lawyer but need some direction on this.