timing chain 4.0L engine

Old February 27th 05, 03:46 PM

Default timing chain 4.0L engine

I just purchased a 2nd-hand 1994 Cherokee with the 4L six, and I have a
question about the timing chain. My Honda Accord has overhead valves
driven by a timing belt that must be replaced periodically or else.
Does the timing chain require scheduled replacement? Do the valves
push so far into the cylinder that major damage occurs if the chain
breaks (like the Accord engine would suffer if the timing belt broke)?

thanks,

Tom

Old February 27th 05, 03:51 PM
DougW

tfwilliams did pass the time by typing:
> I just purchased a 2nd-hand 1994 Cherokee with the 4L six, and I have a
> question about the timing chain. My Honda Accord has overhead valves
> driven by a timing belt that must be replaced periodically or else.
> Does the timing chain require scheduled replacement? Do the valves
> push so far into the cylinder that major damage occurs if the chain
> breaks (like the Accord engine would suffer if the timing belt broke)?

It's a chain that for all purposes will last as long as the engine.
But if it doesn't the design is "zero interference" so even if it does
jump your engine won't grenade.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks