Unwanted Complexity

Old June 15th 11, 11:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Unwanted Complexity

On 06/14/2011 10:51 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>> If you want high end leather seating, high end cars, such as Rolls
>> Royce, Bentley, etc.

> But sadly not BMW or Mercedes, both of which have gone to the pleather crap
> for most models.
> --scott

My '02 GTI had leather seats which seemed to be the real deal. However
I've heard that for the newest models VW has really decontented them to
get the base price down. Don't know if they still have teh nice
interiors or not; new cars aren't relevant to me at this point in time.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 15th 11, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
hls

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> Persoanally I don't like leather, but my Father liked the slippery stuff.
> It made it easier to get in and out of the car/truck.

I dont like leather either, Ed. It cracks, the surface wears down, and it
just
looks ratty as the car ages, IMO.

Old June 16th 11, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Leather is suppose to be treated once in a while with some sort of
treatment stuff that helps it to stay in good condition.I don't remember
what it is called.Maybe some horse tackle stores that sell it?
cuhulin

Old June 16th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Scott Dorsey

hls > wrote:
>"C. E. White" > wrote in message
>>
>> Persoanally I don't like leather, but my Father liked the slippery stuff.
>> It made it easier to get in and out of the car/truck.

>I dont like leather either, Ed. It cracks, the surface wears down, and it
>just
>looks ratty as the car ages, IMO.

Oil it every six months and it won't crack. It'll wear, but it will look
natural when it does so.

It's a maintenance headache, but frankly if you've got an MG, it's the least
bothersome of them.
--scott
Old June 16th 11, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
AMuzi

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> hls > wrote:
>> "C. E. White" > wrote in message
>>> Persoanally I don't like leather, but my Father liked the slippery stuff.
>>> It made it easier to get in and out of the car/truck.

>> I dont like leather either, Ed. It cracks, the surface wears down, and it
>> just
>> looks ratty as the car ages, IMO.

> Oil it every six months and it won't crack. It'll wear, but it will look
> natural when it does so.
>
> It's a maintenance headache, but frankly if you've got an MG, it's the least
> bothersome of them.
> --scott

My MGB seats suffered rainwater damage whether the top was
up or stowed.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Old June 20th 11, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
AD[_2_]

On Jun 8, 12:13*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 6/7/2011 2:36 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
> > > *wrote:

> >> Hybrids seem to be the worst option of all if you value simplicity.
> >> Maybe you could have an steam powered heater installed too. :-)

> > Not really. *The hybrid DOES have an electric system and a gasoline system,
> > but both can be built pretty stripped down. *It's a little gas engine that
> > runs at constant RPM. *It's a little battery. *It's a charge controller.

> You can simplify a hybrid by using the gas engine to only generate
> electricity and not drive the wheels. However, most hybrids are not
> built this way. The simplest car possible would probably be an electric
> one with a single motor directly connected to a differential driving the
> rear wheels.

eMobile is close.
http://mobilyo.ru/

the question is will it ever get exported anywhere once the
manufacturer
gets the initial 140,000 pre orders for domestic market handled.
Concept is one thing, implementation and dealing with the fallout from
field testing is quite another.

Things will sort themself out in a few years.
Old June 20th 11, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
dsi1[_9_]

On 6/20/2011 4:51 AM, AD wrote:

>>> Not really. The hybrid DOES have an electric system and a gasoline system,
>>> but both can be built pretty stripped down. It's a little gas engine that
>>> runs at constant RPM. It's a little battery. It's a charge controller.

>> You can simplify a hybrid by using the gas engine to only generate
>> electricity and not drive the wheels. However, most hybrids are not
>> built this way. The simplest car possible would probably be an electric
>> one with a single motor directly connected to a differential driving the
>> rear wheels.
>>

> eMobile is close.
> http://mobilyo.ru/
>
> the question is will it ever get exported anywhere once the
> manufacturer
> gets the initial 140,000 pre orders for domestic market handled.
> Concept is one thing, implementation and dealing with the fallout from
> field testing is quite another.
>
> Things will sort themself out in a few years.

My Russki is kinda rusty but that looks like a hydrogen-fuel cell
vehicle. The build looks cheap in a scary way. OTOH, I could dig a
primitively honest car like a Meyers Manx. :-)
Old June 20th 11, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

If I may?

http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?q=eMobilyo+Russia
cuhulin

Old June 21st 11, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

On 6/20/2011 11:38 AM, wrote:
> If I may?

Certainly - you may! It's refreshing to see a higher level of civility
being implemented on this newsgroup. It's long overdue! Do you take milk
with your tea? :-)

http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?q=eMobilyo+Russia
> cuhulin

The Ruskies are famous for making rugged bullet-proof hardware. This
looks to be the same - if having an actual frame on this car is any
indication. Now that's what I call fresh thinking! OTOH, a natural gas
piston/electric hybrid seems like a goofy idea for a cheap car. OTOH,
I'm hoping this heralds the return of the two-tone paint job. :-)