Interesting solution to an alignment problem

Old February 21st 11, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

Default Interesting solution to an alignment problem

"Hachiroku ハチ*ク" > wrote in message

>> I bought one of the early Asus eee computers loaded with Linux. This has
>> been
>> rock solid, does everything I want this small unit to do, and more. I
>> wanted Linux
>> because I had had a lot of trouble with Windows Vista, and did not want
>> be
>> bound to a Microsoft operating system.
>>
>> I doubt I am competent to set up Ubuntu on one of my desktop machines,
>> but
>> am
>> going to try it when I get to a point that I can stand to lose the
>> function of one
>> of them (temporarily, I hope).
>>
>> I want no more Windows, if I can avoid them.

> I spend far more time on Linux than Windows. I'm using PCLinuxOS, the only
> drawback being it's only 32 bit, but it runs just fine.
>
> I have another Mobo with all the features I want, but it has the nvidia
> sata driver, and I have just reloaded it for the 4th time because of SATA.
>
> I forgot, when I swapped from one machine to another before, I was using
> an IDE drive, no SATA driver involved...

My experience with a dedicated Linux unit is spectacular. Window and its
master suck.

Old February 21st 11, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Old February 22nd 11, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru
Ray O[_3_]

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 00:13:49 -0600, Ray O wrote:
>

>> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>>> 1989 Mazda 626. I replaced the lower control arm on the pass side in
>>> December, and while it resolved the ball joint issue, the steering wheel
>>> was cocked to the passenger's side and pulling to the right.
>>>
>>> My computer decided to blow it's brains out last night, and I was up
>>> until 3:30AM putting the old one back in service and reloading Linux YET
>>> AGAIN, so when I got up at 10 I figured, I'm gonna PAY someone this time
>>> and relax, and get it lined up all at once. Every shop I went to..."If
>>> you had come last week..."
>>>
>>> It got up to 64 degrees in Massachusetts (they said t was going to be
>>> 46, so I had planned to do it today anyway, and 65 was just a bonus...)
>>> so I pulled into the yard, got the jack, stands and tools out and went
>>> at it. Wasn't as easy as the other one, and, see later for an aside
>>> question. The only thing I couldn't get out was the sway bar link from
>>> the old control arm, and AutoZone went from $4.99 to $18!!! But, it's
>>> all together, and...the wheel is STRAIGHT and the pulling is GONE! All I
>>> did was just put it back in where the other one was, and it drives
>>> straight down the road, no pulling, no nothing, just nice and smooth. I
>>> figured this might happen, but I was betting more on having the
>>> alignment go WAY out.
>>>

>>> BTW, there was something on the driver's side not on the passenger's
>>> side: a "Black Box" I had to remove to get the rear bolts out. It had no
>>> connections on it, just bolted to the frame, and appears to be a big
>>> magnet. It attracted my tools when I set it down.
>>>
>>> The car does not have ABS or 4 wheel steering (some did). Any ideas?
>>>

>> If there is a wired device located near the magnetic box with a bright
>> yellow wire loom, it could be part of the supplemental restraint system.
>> Under normal conditions, the magnet holds a switch in the open position,
>> but in a crash, inertia overcomes the magnet's pull, the switch closes,
>> the same thing happens to another switch, and when 2 switches close, the
>> air bags deploy.
>>
>> BTW, Toyota does not use magnets in its SRS.

> It has the early-mid 90's automatic seat belt like in the Camry's. The
> belt rides on a track and moves into place when the door closes with the
> ignition on.

OK, it's not for the SRS. I have no idea what it's for.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old February 22nd 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru
1 Lucky Texan

On Feb 17, 9:12 pm, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B > wrote:
> 1989 Mazda 626. I replaced the lower control arm on the pass side in
> December, and while it resolved the ball joint issue, the steering wheel
> was cocked to the passenger's side and pulling to the right.
>
> My computer decided to blow it's brains out last night, and I was up until
> 3:30AM putting the old one back in service and reloading Linux YET AGAIN,
> so when I got up at 10 I figured, I'm gonna PAY someone this time and
> relax, and get it lined up all at once. Every shop I went to..."If you had
> come last week..."
>
> It got up to 64 degrees in Massachusetts (they said t was going to be 46,
> so I had planned to do it today anyway, and 65 was just a bonus...) so I
> pulled into the yard, got the jack, stands and tools out and went at it.
> Wasn't as easy as the other one, and, see later for an aside question.
> The only thing I couldn't get out was the sway bar link from the old
> control arm, and AutoZone went from $4.99 to $18!!! But, it's all
> together, and...the wheel is STRAIGHT and the pulling is GONE! All I did
> was just put it back in where the other one was, and it drives straight
> down the road, no pulling, no nothing, just nice and smooth. I figured
> this might happen, but I was betting more on having the alignment go WAY
> out.
>
> BTW, there was something on the driver's side not on the passenger's side:
> a "Black Box" I had to remove to get the rear bolts out. It had no
> connections on it, just bolted to the frame, and appears to be a big
> magnet. It attracted my tools when I set it down.
>
> The car does not have ABS or 4 wheel steering (some did). Any ideas?

That box with the magnet is likely for a key to hide on the vehicle
somewhere.

I used the same thing on each of my daughter's first cars. came in
handy 3-4 times.
Old February 23rd 11, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:51:26 -0600, hls wrote:

>>> I bought one of the early Asus eee computers loaded with Linux. This
>>> has been
>>> rock solid, does everything I want this small unit to do, and more. I
>>> wanted Linux
>>> because I had had a lot of trouble with Windows Vista, and did not want
>>> be
>>> bound to a Microsoft operating system.
>>>
>>> I doubt I am competent to set up Ubuntu on one of my desktop machines,
>>> but
>>> am
>>> going to try it when I get to a point that I can stand to lose the
>>> function of one
>>> of them (temporarily, I hope).
>>>
>>> I want no more Windows, if I can avoid them.

>> I spend far more time on Linux than Windows. I'm using PCLinuxOS, the
>> only drawback being it's only 32 bit, but it runs just fine.
>>
>> I have another Mobo with all the features I want, but it has the nvidia
>> sata driver, and I have just reloaded it for the 4th time because of
>> SATA.
>>
>> I forgot, when I swapped from one machine to another before, I was using
>> an IDE drive, no SATA driver involved...
>>

> My experience with a dedicated Linux unit is spectacular. Window and its
> master suck.

Look at my headers to see what I'm using for a newsreader!

Linux used to seem kludgey to me, now Windows does.

Old February 24th 11, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 02/23/2011 01:10 AM, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:51:26 -0600, hls wrote:

>>> I spend far more time on Linux than Windows. I'm using PCLinuxOS, the
>>> only drawback being it's only 32 bit, but it runs just fine.
>>>
>>> I have another Mobo with all the features I want, but it has the nvidia
>>> sata driver, and I have just reloaded it for the 4th time because of
>>> SATA.
>>>
>>> I forgot, when I swapped from one machine to another before, I was using
>>> an IDE drive, no SATA driver involved...
>>>

>> My experience with a dedicated Linux unit is spectacular. Window and its
>> master suck.

> Look at my headers to see what I'm using for a newsreader!
>
> Linux used to seem kludgey to me, now Windows does.

I'm using Ubuntu on two machines with SATA HDD's, no problemo.

In fact, the only issues I've had at all were with video drivers, but
since I updated my old machine last night (hadn't fired it up in months)
I finally have non-fisher-price resolution on the Intel video card again
(old though, so I still prefer my newer laptop with full HD screen. I'm
spoiled!)

Anymore, I only fire up Windows when I *have* to, which just makes me
hate it all the more, because then I have months of updates to download,
and unlike Linux, Windows can't seem to do them all in one whack and
reboot only once. And it takes way longer.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Brake problem and possible solution Tuomas VW air cooled 2 September 22nd 10 08:11 AM
Idle problem solution san luis Honda 1 June 2nd 06 05:04 AM
Alignment Problem 95 Integra Nick Honda 4 June 13th 05 05:01 AM
Alignment? Problem john smith Corvette 4 January 22nd 05 02:07 PM
Is this an alignment problem? E. Meyer Technology 0 December 8th 04 04:13 PM