Maytag Store, Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Rt. 309

Old January 13th 05, 11:48 AM
Fatboy Jr.

Default Maytag Store, Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Rt. 309

To anyone from the northeastern part of Pa., in the town of
Wilkes-Barre, a message (non Pontiac oriented)

BEWARE- AVOID the Maytag appliance store on Rt. 309 by Home Depot, in
Wilkes-Barre. The guy that owns it is a major jerk, he talked me into a
$110 gas flow valve for my Magic Chef stove, and then refused to take
it back when that was not the problem.

I had to spend another $75 online to get ignitors, which were the real
problem. And the p-rick won't take the gas valve back.

The store is located right by where the old Zayre's dept. store used to
be, on RT. 309.

BEWARE- SHOP ELSEWHERE !! The guy changes from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde
depending on if you are handing him money or not at the time.

Old January 16th 05, 03:19 AM
Tom

Fatboy Jr. wrote:
> To anyone from the northeastern part of Pa., in the town of
> Wilkes-Barre, a message (non Pontiac oriented)
>

> BEWARE- AVOID the Maytag appliance store on Rt. 309 by Home Depot, in
> Wilkes-Barre. The guy that owns it is a major jerk, he talked me into a
> $110 gas flow valve for my Magic Chef stove, and then refused to take
> it back when that was not the problem.
>

> I had to spend another $75 online to get ignitors, which were the real
> problem. And the p-rick won't take the gas valve back.
>

> The store is located right by where the old Zayre's dept. store used to
> be, on RT. 309.
>

> BEWARE- SHOP ELSEWHERE !! The guy changes from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde
> depending on if you are handing him money or not at the time.

Ok. This is just way too wierd and I completely understand that anyone
reading will probably think this is utter BS. Nevertheless I'll continue.

I'm from NEPA and have first hand experience with the a-holes who run
the business that the OP is referring to.

I bought my first new washer/dryer set from the Maytag store in WB about
5 years ago. I think I was at work and my wife took the delivery at the
house. When I got home I found out that the washer didn't work right out
of the box. We should have refused delivery but it was too late at that
point. We were a little ****ed off, so began a series of calls to find
out WTF their tech delivered and set up a broken washer without even
advising us of the problem and next steps. That was when we first found
out that the management (owner and his wife afaik) were not the
cooperative, understanding people that sold us the set. They were/are
both complete assholes. Of course everything was covered by warranty,
but we ended up having to wait about two weeks for our brand-new
non-functioning maytag washer to receive a timer transplant.

Now I wouldn't judge anyone based on one bad experience, but this
example is just the first in a series of about 5 different problems we
had with the washer in the first year we owned it. Each and every time
we needed to contact the store for service we were treated terribly.

My experience with the support people at Maytag was just fine, the
washer itself was just a huge POS. I've since vowed to never buy another
Maytag based on the problems I had with the washer, and to go out of my
way to advise people against buying from the Maytag Store in Wilkes
Barre. This looked like a pretty good opportunity to make good on the
latter, hence this reply.

This past week the water pump in that same washer failed and my wife and
I debated dumping the broken washer on the doorstep of the Maytag store.
We decided against it (would've been fun but probably not legal). It's
been replaced by a GE we picked up at Lowes in Hazleton. All is good
with it so far - wish us luck :-)

I apologize for contributing to the noise here but it was just too wierd
that I had first hand experience with the OPs complaint. Small world.

-Tom