red light cameras/NY Times

Old January 12th 05, 03:15 AM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:35:38 -0600,
> (Brent P) wrote:
>
>>What defines a
>>'stale green'? For some this will be a second after it turned green.

> Anyone that stupid is going to be a road hazard no matter what they
> do.

You're the one talking about slowing when the green is going to turn red.
Well, it's going to turn red so long as it is green.

>>Slowing traffic on the green signal will greatly reduce the throughput of
>>an intersection leading to congestion.

> Only if done stupidly.

SLOWING lowers throughput regardless of how it's done. In those last 5
seconds of green signal, since you won't define 'stale green' will allow
fewer vehicles to clear the intersection at 20mph than at 30mph. It's
simple math. There is no way you are going to get more cars through at
the lower speed in the same time.

>>The point of a yellow signal is to warn that it will be red. If we are
>>going to implement ideas like 'slowing for a stale green' so one can stop
>>on yellow, the yellow signal becomes irrelevant, useless, and redundant.
>>It might as well be a green and a red.

> I agree that the proper solution is to fix the yellow light time. But
> you and I cannot fix it ourselves, so what should we do? Bend over and
> take the unwarranted red light tickets? Stop driving? Slam on the
> brakes and get rear-ended?

Don't forget waste more time in congestion and traffic jams.

> I look forward to hearing your solution.

Hold government responsible. Try to educate the moron masses so they
understand. Impossible, maybe. But it's the only real solution.

Old January 12th 05, 03:41 AM

But that takes all the fun out of it. :-(

Old January 12th 05, 03:41 AM

But that takes all the fun out of it. :-(

EM Warning Light A Lurker Audi 3 December 18th 04 11:16 PM
A6 (1996) brake pad thickness warning light? John Prendergast Audi 3 November 18th 04 12:22 PM
'88 Audi Coupe, Hazard light problem Slimbo Audi 3 October 13th 04 06:41 PM
78 Audi 5000 Cruise Control Warning Light Problem TurboBanana Audi 2 May 25th 04 03:40 PM
Newbie question. A4 warning light. Moike Audi 1 May 20th 04 10:00 PM