E30 Electrical Problem

Old February 2nd 06, 09:42 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E30 Electrical Problem

Hi, I need some help diagnosing a serious electrical problem with our
car, a 1990 320iSE. For a couple of weeks, the headlamps and dash
lights have been flickering intermittently whilst driving, and last
night the flickering got worse, and the blower motor started slowing
and revving repeatedly. The fluctuations aren't particularly related to
revs. As i pulled into the car park (about 9 miles later), the engine
cut out, and there wasn't enough power in the battery to turn the
starter, so it had obviously been draining rather than charging. Had to
get a recovery van out, who leant us a power pack to get home on (still
flickering). He connected a multimeter across the battery with the
engine running and reported that it was charging to some extent, but
that the voltage was jumping around all over the place.

First thought was that the alternator/voltage regulator must be dead,
but I also fear that bad wiring somewhere could be responsible? Before
I start dismantling things and buying expensive parts is there anything
else I should test or consider?

Thanks!

Old February 2nd 06, 10:38 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Nedavno MarkS pise:

I had similar problem to yours, and it turned out to be a bad
connection from battery negative to body. I just changed that cable,
and problem was gone. Check that first.

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Old February 2nd 06, 10:50 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Good idea thanks. I'll certainly check that first.

Mark

Old February 2nd 06, 11:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> First thought was that the alternator/voltage regulator must be dead,

That would be my first thought too.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old February 2nd 06, 11:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks John, might well be making a trip to Euro shortly then.

One thing I forgot to mention is that since the problem started some of
the dash warning lights, eg parking brake light and those near it, are
slightly lit all the time and flickering when driving, whereas they
should be off completely. Could a bad alternator cause that kind of
behaviour? Thinking about it, I think the lamps that are lit/flickering
are those which light when the engine if off, but the key is in
position 2, so that could be a clue?

Many thanks

Mark

Old February 2nd 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"MarkS" > haute in die Tasten:

> One thing I forgot to mention is that since the problem started
> some of the dash warning lights, eg parking brake light and
> those near it, are slightly lit all the time and flickering when
> driving, whereas they should be off completely.

Lights which are lit while they should not be lit are usually a sign
for a bad ground connection. Try to check all electric wires which
have direct contact to the body and should provide a good ground
connection.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old February 2nd 06, 11:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article .com>,
MarkS > wrote:
> First thought was that the alternator/voltage regulator must be dead,
> but I also fear that bad wiring somewhere could be responsible? Before
> I start dismantling things and buying expensive parts is there anything
> else I should test or consider?

On a 15 year old car alternator brushes/dirty slip rings would be my first
guess.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 3rd 06, 09:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Make sure you have a good earth from battery to body and also an earth
from engine to body. Good luck
Clive

--
- Clive Turnbull

Old February 4th 06, 11:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Today I've removed, cleaned and refitted the major earth points in the
engine bay, but the problem is still there. I jump started the car,
then took it for a drive with a voltmeter across the battery. The
voltage was fluctuating between about 11 and 13.8 volts (independantly
of engine speed and electrical load) and the dash lights were still
doing the flickering thing. The temperature guage also jumps around in
sync with the lights. It was worse at the end of the trip (things had
warmed up i guess) than the beginning. I had obviously been charging
the battery this time, as it had enough in it to start the car when I
tried after returning from the drive. Sound like the voltage regulator?
I've got a working replacement alternator coming this week so hopefully
that will fix it.

Thanks

Old February 5th 06, 03:24 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Out of curiosity, are you sure the battery is good? Had a loose plate
in one once in an older dodge and it would charge sometimes and not
the rest. Replaced the alternator with a new one ($225) before finding
this out. ****ed me off when I had to spend another $60 on a battery.

On 4 Feb 2006 15:12:08 -0800, "MarkS" >
wrote:

>Today I've removed, cleaned and refitted the major earth points in the
>engine bay, but the problem is still there. I jump started the car,
>then took it for a drive with a voltmeter across the battery. The
>voltage was fluctuating between about 11 and 13.8 volts (independantly
>of engine speed and electrical load) and the dash lights were still
>doing the flickering thing. The temperature guage also jumps around in
>sync with the lights. It was worse at the end of the trip (things had
>warmed up i guess) than the beginning. I had obviously been charging
>the battery this time, as it had enough in it to start the car when I
>tried after returning from the drive. Sound like the voltage regulator?
>I've got a working replacement alternator coming this week so hopefully
>that will fix it.
>
>Thanks

AUDI 100 Electrical Problem The Murdock's Audi 5 January 29th 06 09:15 PM
Electrical Problem Solved 6v slow start Tom Nakashima VW air cooled 5 March 30th 05 03:11 PM
Wierd electrical problem Old Crow Jeep 2 March 22nd 05 10:12 AM
98 VW Jetta GL 2.0L gas - Electrical Problem - Help! Stephen VW water cooled 1 March 18th 05 08:34 PM
Weird electrical problem in 1996 Dodge Caravan Isaac Wingfield Chrysler 3 February 22nd 05 03:15 AM