Mystery part number

Old November 19th 05, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Mystery part number

I just dug through the 92 WSM I have and in the cooling system section
you can see the piece AMStar is talking about, but it's not discussed in
that section of the WSM. That leads me to believe (from my years behind
the parts counter) that the piece will not be listed in the cooling
system section of parts on the microfiche (or computer). Since it mounts
to the engine block, the parts folks should look in that area of the
parts breakdown. If it's not cast onto the block it has a part number
(even if it is cast as part of the block it will have a part number -
that of the block)... But, as others suggest, try contacting Trussville
Mazda (or another large dealership like Rosenthal or Brown in the DC
area)...
-alex-

Old November 19th 05, 08:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Right. It is the lower termination of the hose that comes from the
thermostat housing. It is a metal 90 degree welded bend. It appears to
"press into" the block. And, it slides out when worn.

Old November 19th 05, 08:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

That is exactly my problem.

Old November 19th 05, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"AMStar" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Right. It is the lower termination of the hose that comes from the
> thermostat housing. It is a metal 90 degree welded bend. It appears to
> "press into" the block. And, it slides out when worn.

Are you sure it is pressed into the block and not another part?

Old November 19th 05, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Even with the corrct part, getting it installed is a problem.
The best suggestion I have is to remove the remains of the old part any way
you can without enlarging the hole in the casting.
With the correct part, cooling it with something like liquid nitrogen, and
then driving it into the casting may be the best way to go. Otherwise, steel
filled epoxy and a bit of taper on the casting hole may be a good solution.

When we replaced this part on a 93, we tapped the casting and used a
threaded piece of pipe.

ups.com...

Old November 20th 05, 07:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Pretty sure. I had the part in my hand, and it sure looked to go into
the block.

Old November 20th 05, 07:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

While I appreciate everyones responses, I would really like to replace
the part with the original Mazda part. Certainly someone has to know
how to find this part. Isn't there anyone who knows the Mazda parts
book well enough to track this part down. I would love to have a set of
parts books, even though they are on disk.

Please take some time to reference some of the links that we posted,
and let me know if you can identify this part. Someone must have been
able to fix this problem in the past with the correct part. Are there
any service bulletins that reference coolant leaks at the front of the
block, especially 1993s?

Old November 20th 05, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

did you call the parts desk at rosenthal mazda? they are extremely helpful.
and now that you can better articulate what the part is they should be able
to find it and order it for you.
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/

oups.com...

Old November 20th 05, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article <7e_ff.1125$8o6.590@trndny03>,
"Christopher Muto" > wrote:

> did you call the parts desk at rosenthal mazda? they are extremely helpful.
> and now that you can better articulate what the part is they should be able
> to find it and order it for you.
> http://www.finishlineperformance.com/

I'll second that. If Tommy Grimes can't help you, no one can.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old November 20th 05, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote
> I'll second that. If Tommy Grimes can't help you, no one can.

In a part number question I had where the part could not be found by (ahem)
Another Major DC Area Mazda Dealer, Tommy indicated his light weekend
reading is the Mazda price book that comes out every few months. He said he
finds a lot of little things not in the parts list. He is the man to go to
on this.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway