[Peugeot XU5] Bearing clearance

Old June 12th 05, 11:07 AM
Pierre_

Default [Peugeot XU5] Bearing clearance

Hello,

First, I not really used to write in english, so sorry for my mistakes.

Ok, now my subject : I am rebuilding my first engine, the XU5J of my 205
gti. It had a rod bearing that failed and spinned in the rod.
I have change the crankshaft for a used one that I took of from an XU5JA
engine and I check that it had pretty correct rod bearing when dissamble
it (I also took the cylinder head for my XU5 but that another story :-)).

The machine shop checked my rod, and my cranckshaft and for them it's OK,
for them, the clearance can go from 0,02 mm to 0,08mm. It seems a really
wide range.
When I plastigage them I have around 0,05 mm for rod bearing, and 0,07/0,08
for main bearing.

Are those clearance OK ??

Thank you !!

I'll take any suggestion for the rebuilding of my engine !!!

--
Pierre
www.zone-rouge.fr.fm
Old June 14th 05, 06:38 AM

If you Plastigage the bearings and the clearances are within range, you
should be okay. If you want to do a better job, get all the bearing
clearances the same. If you like to go to high RPM, clearances should
be on the "loose" side.

Your main bearing clearance is on the large side. Personally I would
look for something closer to 0.05mm. You should be able to purchase
bearings in different thicknesses to adjust the clearance.

Old June 14th 05, 06:58 PM
Pierre_

Hello

> If you Plastigage the bearings and the clearances are within range, you
> should be okay. If you want to do a better job, get all the bearing
> clearances the same. If you like to go to high RPM, clearances should
> be on the "loose" side.
>
> Your main bearing clearance is on the large side. Personally I would
> look for something closer to 0.05mm. You should be able to purchase
> bearings in different thicknesses to adjust the clearance.

Thank you for your answer. Ok so the range of acceptable clearance is
really this wide. I am not aiming for really high rpm (stock engine, so max
6500), I'll look for thicker main bearing and recheck my reod bearing to be
sure they are close to 0,05

Pierre
--
Pierre