2000 Accord EX V6 Startup problems

Old December 27th 04, 07:35 PM
Jack

Default 2000 Accord EX V6 Startup problems

Hi,

Has anyone experienced any problems while starting up your accord? My
accord starts normally for 1 second then the idle just drops and then
engine dies. My batteries, fuses are fine. This does not happen all
the time. When it doesn't, my car seem fine but once it happens, it
takes me 15-25 mins (15-30 restarts). I brought it to the deal but
they couldn't find any problems since it was happening when they had
it.

It seems to happen after the engine runs for a while and then I stop
the engine for 15-30 mins. It doesn't always do this and this is what
really bothers me. I don't know how to recreate this to get it fixed.

I read in this newgroup that some folks in the mid-west had similar
problems due to winter fuel mixtures. I live in the Bay Area of
California and I doubt we have that issue. In fact, I've had this car
for almost 5 years and it's only now start to do this.
Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Jack

Old December 28th 04, 07:23 AM
Lex

did you get a check engine light, like a misfire code? there is a problem
with these v6's. and it is due to the oxygenated fuels for winter. ive
encountered this at the dealership where I work. there is a solution.
oups.com...

Old December 30th 04, 12:23 AM
fogman

I recently went through the same issue, changed ignition coil, and spark
plugs. All fine. How many miles? I was at 87k. Good luck. Fogman

Old January 15th 05, 05:51 AM
Jack

Hi Lex,

The first time this happened I did get the check engine light. I
brought the car in to have the EGR replaced. I thought that fixed but
I'm still getting this problem. In fact it just happened this evening.

How do I figure out the misfire code? Can I do it without that
specialized code reader tool?

Thanks,
Jack

Old January 15th 05, 05:53 AM
Jack

Hi fogman,

I've got about 56k miles. Did you have the deal change the ignition
coil? Was that part of any recalls? This just doesn't seem normal.
Thanks,
Jack