Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo Steering Wheel Review

Old September 19th 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

Default Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo Steering Wheel Review

On 15 Sep., 22:00, wrote:
> It doesn't exactly zero the forces around *center*. *It may zero the
> forces when the torque on the virtual steering column is close to
> zero, but that's not too different from real life.

Hi

I am the designer of the Porsche wheel and I am glad that Tim liked
it.

We thought about using two motors but the only benfeit is having less
cost as the cooling of a strong motor is more expensive than adding a
second and small motor. To lower the cost was not the primary mission
on the Porsche wheel so we went for the optimal choice, the Mabuchi
550.

A lot of technology of this wheel is hidden under the hood just like
the engine of a Porsche . The belts are imported from the UK for
example but the feeling they create is smoother than any gear.

If you like to get more info about the wheel and other racing
peripherals, check out my blog at www.911wheel.com

Thomas

Old September 19th 08, 09:54 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

> Seems to me a belt would be used for a different reason than
> smoothness. If you are referring to the idea that plastic gears
> cause small bumps in the steering wheel action of a Logitech MOMO or
> G25, you might want to consider the more plausible idea that any
> bumpy effect would more likely be caused by the gap between electric
> motor windings. Besides that, for certain applications, some modern
> plastics (like Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene UHMW) wear
> better than steel, maybe because UHMW is self lubricating.

The forces caused by the motor are called cogging forces. It is very
important to have very low cogging forces but even if we use the same
motor as used in the Logitech wheels the feeling is different.
We also come up with our own gear drive design for our lower priced
Porsche 911 Carrera wheel but it is easy to notice the difference to a
belt drive if you compare the systems.
You have to try it out. A belt drive feels much more like a car
steering and less like a toy.