94Explorer:Fuel Pump runs runs run& cranks -no start

Old November 22nd 04, 10:56 AM
Gil

(Gil) wrote in message m>...
> "Jim Warman" > wrote in message news:<Fjznd.194202$9b.128910@edtnps84>...
> > The PCM controls the injectors. The ICM controls spark at the behest of the
> > PCM. The ICM also provides rpm signal to the PCM.
> >
> > What test are you using to prove that the PCM isn't pulsing the injectors?
> >
> > Rather than giving some aftermarket code description, I am better served
> > with the exact code retrieved. This way I can refer to the factoy service
> > manuals.
> >

> Here are the last set of codes I got from my Actron code scanner:
>
> 327
> 332
> 327
> 332
> ----
> 327
> 332
> 327
> 332
> ----
> 332
> 538
> 536
> 332
> ----
> 538
> 536
>
> All this is telling me that the EGR valve is not functioning or its
> not getting detected funciotning- but is it? I tryed unpluging &
> capped the vacuum line to it, did not make any differece running or
> driving. Its hooked back properly now.
>
> the 538 536 tell me I cant get it to do the second part of the KOER
> test.?
>
> Make any sense for the problem at hand?

I hooked up the scanner again last night & got these codes:
11/19/04

412
326
538
412
326
538
(these same codes sent again)

It does not seem I'm getting the dynamic response test required by doing a WOT?
What am I doing wrong? I see the engine code flash, the single light
blips, I turn the steering wheel, stomp on the brake, & then floor the bitch!
codes 412&538 = insufficent rpm change during DRT
I'm at a loose.

Thanks
Gil

Old November 23rd 04, 08:45 AM
Jim Warman

Scanning through the PC/ED, 538 wants to be sure that the rpm did go past
2000 during the dynamic response test - if it did, they are indicating a bad
PCM as the likely cause ( I always hesitate to suggest the module as the
culprit because it is to easy to shortcut a pin point test and all roads
lead - eventually - to replacing the module). 412 indicates that the PCM
can't control rpm to it's satisfaction.... any things can influence this
including having someone monkey with the base idle screw....

m...

Old November 29th 04, 01:48 AM
Gil

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message news:<hMCod.14738$l65.7095@clgrps13>...
> Scanning through the PC/ED, 538 wants to be sure that the rpm did go past
> 2000 during the dynamic response test - if it did, they are indicating a bad
> PCM as the likely cause ( I always hesitate to suggest the module as the
> culprit because it is to easy to shortcut a pin point test and all roads
> lead - eventually - to replacing the module). 412 indicates that the PCM
> can't control rpm to it's satisfaction.... any things can influence this
> including having someone monkey with the base idle screw....

No monkey business with it.
I am thinking about buying a PCM off E-Bay, but I don't know if it will interchange.
Mine is a F47F-12A650-NB UMP1
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/e-bay/My_Explorer_PCM.jpg

the one on Ebay is a F47F-12A650-MB VET1
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/e-bay/FS-Explorer_PCM.jpg
????

Gil

Old March 22nd 05, 10:48 AM
milgil

Update - 3/22/2005

The last thing I did in November 04 was to swap out the ECM (inside by
passenger kick panel)
I bought it off E-Bay - big risk. but it worked & did the same as my
original, for about a week. Fuel pump runs, runs, engine cranks,
finally pump shuts off(pressurized)engine starts. F....!!1!..
Same **** different ECM. could I have 2 identically bad ones? Same
scanner codes also!
about a week later this FP run / no start problem went away.
Its now Feb. 05 & no problems with that.
CEL still comes on after a short time. 1min - 5min. & poor throttle
response from idle(smooth) to around 2000rpm. Not noticeable when on
the road.
It passed emmision test last week( weeew!)

So its one of "those" problems. The only thing I did was to run a few
cans of sea-foam injector cleaner in gas last Oct 04. Hmmmmmmm
I've never had much faith in cleaner additives correcting an injector
problem.
But I could see using it as preventive maintance regularly during the
year. I never did that.
Ok that's that for now. Time will tell

94 Explorer limited (yes very limited)
4L v6 4WD 160K (bought new in 95)
Have used Amzoil 2X / year its intire life. No oil leaks/no oil
burning.
I think that says somthing.

Thanks again to all out in usnet land!

Gil