Part 3: Troubleshooting overheating prob

Old September 23rd 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Part 3: Troubleshooting overheating prob

UPDATE:

Well, I think we might be close to the problem. To refresh everyone's
memory: the overheating (1995 Z28) came on suddenly. I did the
following in an attempt to remedy the issue (listed in order of
replacement):
* Replaced thermostat with a Stant SuperStat heavy duty unit
* Replaced radiator cap and flushed system, using Delco-spec
antifreeze
* Replaced water pump with brand new AC Delco unit

After these replacements, I would start the car and upon warm-up, the
temp gauge would continue to climb into the red. As a reminder, this
water pump is shaft-driven from a gear off in the timing cover. Look
he
http://www.9c1.com/technical/LT1_rebuild/ar99928.htm
.... and here ...
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._pictures.html

OK, fast forward to today. I took the thermostat housing off and
removed the thermostat and had my son start the car up while I took a
video.
Watch he http://s5pro.homelinux.org/wpump.avi

Without stating what my opinion might be, I'd like to see what all the
experts have to say.

Old September 23rd 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

wrote:
> UPDATE:
>
> Well, I think we might be close to the problem. To refresh everyone's
> memory: the overheating (1995 Z28) came on suddenly. I did the
> following in an attempt to remedy the issue (listed in order of
> replacement):
> * Replaced thermostat with a Stant SuperStat heavy duty unit
> * Replaced radiator cap and flushed system, using Delco-spec
> antifreeze
> * Replaced water pump with brand new AC Delco unit
>
> After these replacements, I would start the car and upon warm-up, the
> temp gauge would continue to climb into the red. As a reminder, this
> water pump is shaft-driven from a gear off in the timing cover. Look
> he

http://www.9c1.com/technical/LT1_rebuild/ar99928.htm
> ... and here ...
> http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._pictures.html
>
> OK, fast forward to today. I took the thermostat housing off and
> removed the thermostat and had my son start the car up while I took a
> video.
> Watch he http://s5pro.homelinux.org/wpump.avi
>
> Without stating what my opinion might be, I'd like to see what all the
> experts have to say.

Ouch. No pump action at all!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

Old September 23rd 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rickottman

the only other thing i would do is replace radiator

--
Rickottman
Rickottman's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=530895

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 23rd 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

maybe check to see if the upper or lower rad hoses are not collapsed
on the inside. check to see if the radiator is plugged. On any GM
product I had when the heat guage goes over 3/8th of the way over that
is normal. If it goes half way over it is over heating.

Old September 23rd 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Sep 22, 10:00 pm, Steve B. > wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:33:49 -0000, wrote:
> >Without stating what my opinion might be, I'd like to see what all the
> >experts have to say.

> The waterpump isn't turning.
> Steve B.

Thanks Steve and Mike !! I never considered that the pump would not
be spinning, especially considering that it's shaft driven. When I
told my son to crank the engine, I couldn't believe my eyes, so I
asked him to do it a couple more times. So, basically, I'm getting
zero circulation.

Obviously, the water pump drive gear is hosed. I'll be curious to find
out why the shaft isnt spinning the water pump. I'll post back the
results after the tear-down.

Old September 23rd 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Sep 22, 10:28 pm, Steve B. > wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 03:20:22 -0000, wrote:
>
> >Obviously, the water pump drive gear is hosed. I'll be curious to find
> >out why the shaft isnt spinning the water pump. I'll post back the
> >results after the tear-down.

> Please do. You have my interest peaked on this one.
> Steve B.

I removed the front plate on the water pump, which reveals the water
pump's impeller. This absolutely confirms that the pump/impeller isnt
being turned by the engine:

http://s5pro.homelinux.org/impeller.avi

Old September 23rd 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default PROB NOW KNOWN ... was Part 3: Troubleshooting overheating prob

Hell all ...

Well, I've removed the water pump ... I can turn the water pump with
the coupler attached to the water pump's splined shaft. However, the
coupler will not slide and engage tightly to the splined driving shaft
on the engine side, which of course means the splines are stripped.
Here's the video version:

http://s5pro.homelinux.org/drive-gear.avi