air tool couplers

Old September 20th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
anon

Default air tool couplers

What coupler type do you recommend for air tools used for automotive work -
eg impact wrench?

There are many choices, but two popular ones are industrial interchange and
"automotive". The industrial interchange one seems more common, but the
automotive style appears to have a higher flow rate. Is this difference
significant?

Thanks

Anon

Old September 23rd 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AWN[_2_]

Are you just asking about the quick connect coupler?? If you look at the CH
line for example, they often have coloured bands on them indicating which
connector they will mate with. If you get the one that's got
red/blue/yellow banding, it will connect with virtually all of them. That
being said, I would suggest that you use a 'whip hose' with a swivel on it
to avoid tangling yourself up, damaging tools, etc. The rule is generally
that if you have a 5/8 line, you use a 5/8 connector... 1/2 line... 1/2
connector... And so on... I have used everything from garden-variety bargin
bin right to industrial line and CH and have almost never has any issues.
Unless I am completely misunderstanding your question, my advice is to
ensure that the tools get lubrication, you remove the water, and use a whip.

HTH
Andrew.

On 9/19/07 10:51 PM, in article , "anon"

Old September 23rd 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

anon wrote:
> What coupler type do you recommend for air tools used for automotive work -
> eg impact wrench?
>
> There are many choices, but two popular ones are industrial interchange and
> "automotive". The industrial interchange one seems more common, but the
> automotive style appears to have a higher flow rate. Is this difference
> significant?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anon
>
> Your link doesn't want to load...

I get the page and it hangs.

Yes, the flow rate is significant.

I changed the stock line that came on my compressor with one that was
1/8" larger internally and the difference was extreme. That was a 33%
increase in size though.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Old September 23rd 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote:

>> Your link doesn't want to load...

> I get the page and it hangs.

Oops, that was supposed to have been snipped from another post and got
dropped here by a errant mouse click.

tool kalley BMW 1 December 6th 06 09:15 PM
Looking For a Tool Curtis Saturn 7 October 25th 04 01:36 AM
Looking For a Tool Curtis Simulators 2 October 24th 04 02:21 AM
Looking For a Tool Curtis Honda 5 October 24th 04 01:02 AM
Looking For a Tool Curtis Mazda 1 October 20th 04 09:34 PM