95 Honda A/C noise

Old September 21st 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dpadre

Default 95 Honda A/C noise

I bought a 95 Honda Civic EX with 74k on it. I had a mechanic replace
the timing belt and 3 accessory belts to be on the safe side. It's
been almost 2 months now and I just started hearing a noise under the
dash up by the firewall when the A/C is turned on, It sounds like a
short burst of air lasting just under 1 second. Observing the noise
frequency, which is still sporadic on my 30 min. drive to work, the
sound now 1 week later last about 2 full seconds, still sporadic,
mixed with shorter burst as earlier. Can anyone tell me what it may be
and what to look for?

Old September 21st 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Sep 21, 4:33 pm, dpadre > wrote:
> short burst of air lasting just under 1 second. Observing the noise

> mixed with shorter burst as earlier. Can anyone tell me what it may be
> and what to look for?

It's usually shiny blue aluminium and connected to braided air hoses.
It's called a "blow-off valve" and you may find that this car also has
a second radiator called an "intercooler" which you will use to
intimidate pedestrians and other drivers. You can avoid the problem by
not being a boy-racer, however it may impact on your "pussy rating" in
the short to medium term.

Old September 21st 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dpadre

On Sep 20, 11:33 pm, dpadre > wrote:
> I bought a 95 Honda Civic EX with 74k on it. I had a mechanic replace
> the timing belt and 3 accessory belts to be on the safe side. It's
> been almost 2 months now and I just started hearing a noise under the
> dash up by the firewall when the A/C is turned on, It sounds like a
> short burst of air lasting just under 1 second. Observing the noise
> frequency, which is still sporadic on my 30 min. drive to work, the
> sound now 1 week later last about 2 full seconds, still sporadic,
> mixed with shorter burst as earlier. Can anyone tell me what it may be
> and what to look for?

Ok, now the noise is immediately after switching the air conditioner
on after pulling out into the street. The sound is the same as last
time but just longer now, like 4-5 seconds and a lot more frequent
within the first 10 minutes, now that it last longer, when you first
hear it, it makes you think of a burst of air, but now it sounds like
water running thru a pipe like in a house. Despite of the comment I
got about the blow off valve, I do not rev the motor at all! I'm not
sure if it is a pressure build up being released in a tube or a vacuum
system that is trying to seal off. I'm just not sure, but it sounds
like it is coming from under the dash inside the car, not like a
squeaky belt outside