99 honda accord, loss of power

Old September 6th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeff Sabo

Default 99 honda accord, loss of power

Good Morning all
Hope you can help or at least point me in the right direction. I have
a 99 honda Accord, 4cyl VTEC.
car starts great, runs well, idles fine.... just no power, acually
midrange. I try to get on the highway... it just cant get out of its
own way. but once i get up to 65-70...it will run fine, then hit a
small grade... it just can't keep up.No check engine lite, so does this
mean not an emmissions problem? or a non sensor problem?

I did try injector cleanner, and better gas... no differance, changed
air filter, still the same.The car has apox 131K miles

thanks for your help
Jeff

Old September 6th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Jeff Sabo wrote:
> Good Morning all
> Hope you can help or at least point me in the right direction. I have
> a 99 honda Accord, 4cyl VTEC.
> car starts great, runs well, idles fine.... just no power, acually
> midrange. I try to get on the highway... it just cant get out of its
> own way. but once i get up to 65-70...it will run fine, then hit a
> small grade... it just can't keep up.No check engine lite, so does this
> mean not an emmissions problem? or a non sensor problem?
>
> I did try injector cleanner, and better gas... no differance, changed
> air filter, still the same.The car has apox 131K miles
>
> thanks for your help
> Jeff

when was the timing belt changed? if it wasn't tensioned correctly it's
skipped a tooth.
Old September 6th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

When was a full tuneup (air filter, fuel filter, ignition
wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor replaced, timing
checked) last done? Were OEM parts used for these?

While the fuel filter is not commonly a problem, nonetheless
depending on your response to the above, I would suspect it
and replace it first.

Like you suspect, if the oxygen sensor is not working right,
you really should have a check engine light with a code
indicating the same for this model of car, plus other
symptoms.

"Jeff Sabo" > wrote

Old September 6th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeff Sabo

....hate to say... have NOT had the belt replaced...yet. (on the list of
things to do)

tune up was done about 30k when i got the car, however I didnt replace
the wires.(OEM was NOT used) But i did use, I believe Sorenson parts. I
have NOT replaced the fuel filter, mainly because.. I dont know were it
is located.
I will do some parts replacing tonite fuel filter, wires,.. timming
belt over the weekend w/ waterpump.
I did think about the tune up, but it doesnt miss or sputter, so I
kinda ruled that out.Looks like i will start there and hopefully it
will run like a champ as it did before.

thanks again all

Jeff

Old September 6th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Jeff Sabo" > wrote
> ...hate to say... have NOT had the belt replaced...yet.
> (on the list of
> things to do)
>
> tune up was done about 30k when i got the car, however I
> didnt replace
> the wires.(OEM was NOT used)

I would do these, with the fuel filter, at the same time.
This may very well result in significant improvement
immediately.

> But i did use, I believe Sorenson parts. I
> have NOT replaced the fuel filter, mainly because.. I dont
> know were it
> is located.

FWIW, there are several free web sites, typically with
drawings, that might help you with locating this. Maybe
peruse the list at
http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id9.html , for
starters.

If the timing belt is due, sure, get it done, because one
rolls the dice on destroying the engine with a failed TB
otherwise. But I doubt it's behind the problem you
described.

Old September 6th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Elle wrote:

> "Jeff Sabo" > wrote
> > ...hate to say... have NOT had the belt replaced...yet.
> > (on the list of
> > things to do)
> >
> > tune up was done about 30k when i got the car, however I
> > didnt replace
> > the wires.(OEM was NOT used)

> I would do these, with the fuel filter, at the same time.
> This may very well result in significant improvement
> immediately.
>
> > But i did use, I believe Sorenson parts. I
> > have NOT replaced the fuel filter, mainly because.. I dont
> > know were it
> > is located.

> FWIW, there are several free web sites, typically with
> drawings, that might help you with locating this. Maybe
> peruse the list at
> http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id9.html , for
> starters.
>
> If the timing belt is due, sure, get it done, because one
> rolls the dice on destroying the engine with a failed TB
> otherwise. But I doubt it's behind the problem you
> described.

Another cause of loss of power that is often overlooked is a plugged
catalytic converter though in this case would be an early occurrence.

JT
Old September 6th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeff Sabo

Well i looked up the fuel filter.... well its in the tank..
so im not sure if that will be the problem... basicaly a screen...

Old September 6th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Oops. I was thinking of older Hondas, whose maintenance
schedules do specify fuel filter replacement every 60k miles
or so. Your 99 Accord's maintenance schedule has no such
specification. I recall the filter not being where it is (on
your Accord) for older Hondas, too. So, yes, I'd let this go
for now, and keep investigating the other possible causes.

"Jeff Sabo" > wrote

Old September 7th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeff Sabo

i just picked up a set of new plug wires ( originals were still on)put
new set on....maybe a litte better but NOT THE PROBLEM. looked over
wires ,vacum hoses,...could it be a cat converter...
ok im throwing out a sugestion.. could i have a transmission problem
not letting it shift properly..

Old September 7th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
mac1833

HERE IT IS.....Your catalytic convertor is clogged or collapesed. Have
someone hit the gas while you are at the tailpipe.....if not
strong.....there it is.

OEM Honda Parts catalogs for sale Joe[_4_] Honda 0 August 27th 06 01:26 PM
Weird Total Power loss - Then Back On in my E39 540 [email protected] BMW 6 August 23rd 06 03:30 AM
2005 Honda Accord Coupe miller_m Honda 0 October 11th 05 09:54 AM
Honda power loss Steve Technology 4 February 9th 05 10:10 AM
1988 Honda Accord DX losing power John Trent Honda 5 January 12th 05 04:36 AM