Split the case

Old January 16th 05, 09:42 PM
Joao Eliseu

Default Split the case

Tomorrow the engine will be pulled out to put new cylinders and pistons. The 1300
DP heads, will be machined to fit the 1600 Pistons and cylinders. The thermostat
of the cooling system will be put again.
Probably I will replace the 31Pict-3 for the 34 Pict-3 and also the manifold. The
1300 manifold has a hole on the pre-heater pipe that must be fixed if I keep the
31 Pict-3.
The heat exchanger has a hole on the connection the exhauster that must be fixed
The Crankshaft oil seal has to be replaced because is leaking.

My questions a

If the main bearings are ok and I hope so, do you think that it would intelligent
to split the case only to see if the camshaft and the tappets are ok?

How much time would an expert take, to split and join the case?

Joao

Old January 16th 05, 10:43 PM
Joao Eliseu

"Wolfgang" > wrote:
>It's impossible to tell if main bearing are ok without spliting the case -

All the bearings must be ok, but I was talking about the crankshaft and con rodbearings.

Can they be checked without spliting the case?

Joao
Old January 17th 05, 10:00 AM
Joao Eliseu

Thanks for your reply.

The work on the engine will be made for an expert, not me (I don't have the time
and the tools).

The engine was rebuilt 12 years ago and only run 7000 miles since then. So I don't
expect to find any worn on the bearings. My only concern is that the cam wasn't
replaced at the time and it has about 125000 miles. I'm not sure but I think that
someone at the time (12 years ago) told me that the cam was a little worn.
I would like to know if I can check that without splitting the case (head and cylinders
out) and if not it would me a good effort to split the case to check.

Joao

Old January 17th 05, 01:56 PM
tricky

I think, from all the posters replying to your fist question, you should
be kinda thinking about splitting the case and checking everything in
there. then, wether worn or not, replace the parts that dont cost much
anyway.
If you are stripping your engine down, changing it from stock, it is
always wise to walk the extra mile. It will cost you less in the long run !

Rich

Old January 17th 05, 04:34 PM
Joao Eliseu

tricky > wrote:
>I think, from all the posters replying to your fist question, you should
>be kinda thinking about splitting the case and checking everything in
>there. then, wether worn or not, replace the parts that dont cost much
>anyway.
>If you are stripping your engine down, changing it from stock, it is
>always wise to walk the extra mile. It will cost you less in the long run
>!

Thanks for your reply. That is also my opinion. Today the case will be split at
20:00 GMT to check everything. It will stock but 1600 instead 1300. I will keep
the same cam.

The bearings were ok and so were the heads, that will be machined tomorrow.

Joao