Engine having trouble keeping steady coolant temp

Old August 11th 05, 01:42 AM
Mikus

The fan motor could have a bad winding. If so, it will not run reliably.
The fan motor is cheap and easy to replace.

"MPost" > wrote in message
>I can hear my cooling fan kick in when I pull up to my garage at night,
>just before I shut the engine off. I initially thought it was the cooling
>fan, but that wouldn't explain why the car actually runs cool at times.
>
> "ORVAL FAIRAIRN" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> William Hughes > wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:41:01 -0500, in rec.autos.makers.saturn "Lane"

>>> I lost both the air dam and the splash panel in a flood a couple of
>>> years ago.
>>> There's been no effect on cooling as far as I can see. Of course, I'm in
>>> San
>>> Antonio...

Old August 11th 05, 12:37 PM
MPost

That still doesn't explain why the car actually runs cool at times, though.

t...

Old August 11th 05, 11:28 PM
Mikus

I found that when I was moving in traffic, my car stayed cool. If I stopped
at a light and the fan motor was not getting good RPM's, the enginre would
get hot and the A/C would not cool well.

It turned out that the internals of the power connector on my fan motor was
messed up. If I wiggled it, the fan would get full speed. So I would hit a
bump and the connector got good contact it worked good... next bump, poor
connections, poor cooling....

Anyway, 1 hour later (including the trip to the part store) and $25, the
problem was solved.

Old August 11th 05, 11:51 PM
MPost

Turns out the problem was a bad coolant temp sender. Replaced both
(apparently, Saturns have 2), and the car's running fine again.