Manual transmission shifting problems

Old May 10th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Manual transmission shifting problems

I have a 94 Ford Ranger that just had a new clutch (on 3rd clutch now)
and slave cylinder installed, with 149,000 miles as sole owner. About
two weeks after the new clutch installation (by a transmission shop)
the truck makes a "lurching" sound when I shift from park into 1st gear

and begin accelerating, or initiate accelleration from any cruising
speed. Do you think the new clutch job wasn't done very well, or this
is a coincidence and the truck needs a new or rebuilt tranmission?

Old May 10th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"ckilbridge" > wrote in
>I have a 94 Ford Ranger that just had a new clutch (on 3rd clutch now)
> and slave cylinder installed, with 149,000 miles as sole owner. About
> two weeks after the new clutch installation (by a transmission shop)
> the truck makes a "lurching" sound when I shift from park into 1st gear
>
> and begin accelerating, or initiate accelleration from any cruising
> speed. Do you think the new clutch job wasn't done very well, or this
> is a coincidence and the truck needs a new or rebuilt tranmission?

A manual transmission doesn't have a "park" gear. I presume you
mean neutral. I think you should demand that the shop fix the
(obvious) clutch problem they say they fixed/replaced.

FloydR

Old May 10th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

ckilbridge wrote:
> I have a 94 Ford Ranger that just had a new clutch (on 3rd clutch now)
> and slave cylinder installed, with 149,000 miles as sole owner. About
> two weeks after the new clutch installation (by a transmission shop)
> the truck makes a "lurching" sound when I shift from park into 1st gear

Are you talking about the clutch in a manual transmission or the
clutches in an automatic transmission. I'm confused because manual
transmissions don't have a park position, although some automatic and
all manual transmissons do have a first gear position.

If it is a manual transmission and the clutch is fully depressed you
might still get a clunk or lurch by pushing the trans into first gear
very quickly. Try waiting a moment before pushing it into gear, or
drop it into third then into first.

If it still clunks then the clutch job wasn't done properly.

I'm surprised that you are working on the third clutch in 150,000
miles...that seems quite high to me.

Old May 10th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

I should add that I took it back, we test drove the car, and the
transmission shop said it was the rear end/differential problem sending
a vibration up around the transmission area that was causing the
lurching symptom. They did repair #2 of replacing some spider gears
around the differential area, but the symptoms have not gone away.

Old May 10th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

ckilbridge wrote:

> I have a 94 Ford Ranger that just had a new clutch (on 3rd clutch now)
> and slave cylinder installed, with 149,000 miles as sole owner. About
> two weeks after the new clutch installation (by a transmission shop)
> the truck makes a "lurching" sound when I shift from park into 1st gear

Do you mean neutral into first gear ?

> and begin accelerating, or initiate accelleration from any cruising
> speed. Do you think the new clutch job wasn't done very well, or this
> is a coincidence and the truck needs a new or rebuilt tranmission?

If it 'lurches' just selecting first then the clutch isn't disengaging properly.
It needs adjustment. If you release the brake will it try to move in first with
the clutch depressed ?

Graham

Old May 10th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"John S." wrote:

> I'm surprised that you are working on the third clutch in 150,000
> miles...that seems quite high to me.

Me too. Sounds like someone's who's hard on the clutch.

My last car made it ~ 180,000 mi on the original.

Graham

Old May 10th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

ckilbridge wrote:

> I should add that I took it back, we test drove the car, and the
> transmission shop said it was the rear end/differential problem sending
> a vibration up around the transmission area that was causing the
> lurching symptom. They did repair #2 of replacing some spider gears
> around the differential area, but the symptoms have not gone away.

Utter crap. The rear end can't do anything unless it's receiving power. Which it
shouldn't do with the clutch depressed.

We *are* talkking about a 'stick shift' aren't we ?

Graham

Old May 10th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Yes, it's a manual stick shift, 5 speed, 94 Ford Ranger 4.0L 6
cylinder. I know nothing about cars and am naturally trusting of
mechanics. The symptom, which only began after the new clutch/slave
cylinder installation, is when I go from neutral into first and start
that initial accerleation from being motionless- there is a "lurching"
clang sound from around the middle underside as I am releasing the
clutch pedal- seems to occur when the clutch pedal is about 50%
released. Then the same sound occurs when I am on the highway at any
cruising speed, and I begin to accelerate ie: from 35 to 50 mph, or
from 60 to 75. As I accelerate from the cruising speed, when I depress
the gas pedal (but not shifting) their is the same lurch/clang or bang
sound then the car simply accelerates like normal to the speed I want
to be at. So the sound seems to occur when I step on the gas pedal and
begin acceleration, either when I am pulling out of the driveway (from
0 to 15 mph), or cruising on the highway. I can make the sound occur
whenever I want when I am cruising simply by stepping on the gas pedal
(I don't have to be shifting).

Old May 10th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Around 5/10/2006 12:41 PM, ckilbridge wrote:

> Yes, it's a manual stick shift, 5 speed, 94 Ford Ranger 4.0L 6
> cylinder. I know nothing about cars and am naturally trusting of
> mechanics. The symptom, which only began after the new clutch/slave
> cylinder installation, is when I go from neutral into first and start
> that initial accerleation from being motionless- there is a "lurching"
> clang sound from around the middle underside as I am releasing the
> clutch pedal- seems to occur when the clutch pedal is about 50%
> released. Then the same sound occurs when I am on the highway at any
> cruising speed, and I begin to accelerate ie: from 35 to 50 mph, or
> from 60 to 75. As I accelerate from the cruising speed, when I depress
> the gas pedal (but not shifting) their is the same lurch/clang or bang
> sound then the car simply accelerates like normal to the speed I want
> to be at. So the sound seems to occur when I step on the gas pedal and
> begin acceleration, either when I am pulling out of the driveway (from
> 0 to 15 mph), or cruising on the highway. I can make the sound occur
> whenever I want when I am cruising simply by stepping on the gas pedal
> (I don't have to be shifting).

Sounds like it may be something like they reinstalled the driveshaft
wrong or otherwise screwed up the U-joints somehow.

In any case, it appears to be something related to the work that they
performed. Take it back, and insist they fix it at their own cost.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old May 10th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Would the U-joints be down by the rear axel/differential area, or up by
the transmission area?

Also, when I took it back the first time the shop owner test drove it
with me and swore what he felt was the rear end vibrating, and once
they worked on the differential area said there was a lot of play and
these spider gears were shot and that once they repaired them they
thought 90% of the problem should clear up.