how many rotations of crankshaft does it take to fire all cylindersof v8 engine

Old December 1st 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default how many rotations of crankshaft does it take to fire allcylin...

Diesel engines don't need spark plugs.
cuhulin

Old December 1st 09, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_4_]

Default how many rotations of crankshaft does it take to fire all cylindersof v8 engine

C. E. White wrote:
> "Killer Kowalski" > wrote in message
> net...
>> The best and most accurate and most concise response remains --
>>
>> "The number of cylinders is irrelevant. A four stroke engine fires
>> all
>> cylinders in two revs, a two stroke engine in a single rev, no
>> matter
>> how many cylinders it has."
>>
>> from "Thomas Tornblom"

> How about a Wankel? They are four stroke.....

A four stroke that has a power stroke for every rotation of the
crankshaft, two if it's a two rotor motor. Three power strokes for every
revolution of the rotor. Wow.

Old December 1st 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Killer Kowalski

No, actually, the Wankel Rotary Combustion engine is not *accurately*
described as a four stroke cycle engine as nothing in its internals
completes a stroke. One properly refers to phases of the combustion
cycle when speaking in reference to a rotary combustion engine...

Old December 1st 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Killer Kowalski

I apologize, but I fail to see the relevance of sparkplugs to the matter
under discussion...

A four stroke cycle Diesel still requires 720 degrees of crank rotation
to fire all cylinders... and, again, a two stroke cycle Diesel requires
only 360 degrees...

Old December 1st 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> Diesel engines don't need spark plugs.
> cuhulin

I think the diesel is included in the "fire allcylin..." part of the
subject. And there
are four stroke cycle diesels as well as two stroke cycle diesels.

Old December 1st 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

Killer Kowalski wrote:
> No, actually, the Wankel Rotary Combustion engine is not *accurately*
> described as a four stroke cycle engine as nothing in its internals
> completes a stroke. One properly refers to phases of the combustion
> cycle when speaking in reference to a rotary combustion engine...

The Wankel does have cycles of induction, compression, power, and
exhaust when doing it's thing - my guess is that's the reason a lot of
folks are fooled into believing it's a 4 stroke engine. Consider me guilty!

Old December 2nd 09, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1

Old December 3rd 09, 10:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Killer Kowalski

no guilt associated... unless the guilt is mine for wishing to keep
the 'tech' portion of this newsgroup's name valid

Old December 3rd 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"Killer Kowalski" > wrote in message
net...
> No, actually, the Wankel Rotary Combustion engine is not
> *accurately* described as a four stroke cycle engine as nothing in
> its internals completes a stroke. One properly refers to phases of
> the combustion cycle when speaking in reference to a rotary
> combustion engine...

Geez...get technical will you. Look at stroke definition 6a below (6 a
: one of a series of propelling beats or movements against a resisting
medium) or even definition 2 (2 : a single unbroken movement. Why
can't I properly say a Wankel is a 4 stroke engine using one of these
definitions of stroke? For a piston engine stoke definition 9 seems
best (9 : the movement in either direction of a mechanical part (as a
piston) having a reciprocating motion; also : the distance of such
movement)

From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stroke :

Main Entry: stroke
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English; akin to Old English strican to stroke -
more at strike
Date: 13th century
1 : the act of striking; especially : a blow with a weapon or
implement
2 : a single unbroken movement; especially : one of a series of
repeated or to-and-fro movements
3 a : a controlled swing intended to hit a ball or shuttlecock; also :
a striking of the ball b : such a stroke charged to a player as a unit
of scoring in golf
4 a : a sudden action or process producing an impact <a stroke of
lightning> b : an unexpected result <a stroke of luck>
5 : sudden diminution or loss of consciousness, sensation, and
voluntary motion caused by rupture or obstruction (as by a clot) of a
blood vessel of the brain -called also apoplexy, brain attack,
cerebrovascular accident
6 a : one of a series of propelling beats or movements against a
resisting medium <a stroke of the oar> b : a rower who sets the pace
for a crew
7 a : a vigorous or energetic effort by which something is done,
produced, or accomplished <a stroke of genius> <a brilliant diplomatic
stroke> b : a delicate or clever touch in a narrative, description, or
construction
8 : heartbeat
9 : the movement in either direction of a mechanical part (as a
piston) having a reciprocating motion; also : the distance of such
movement
10 : the sound of a bell being struck <at the stroke of twelve>; also
: the specific time indicated by or as if by such a sound
11 [1stroke] : an act of stroking or caressing
12 a : a mark or dash made by a single movement of an implement b :
one of the lines of a letter of the alphabet
- at a stroke : all at once <spent her savings at a stroke>

Old December 3rd 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

Killer Kowalski wrote:
> no guilt associated... unless the guilt is mine for wishing to keep
> the 'tech' portion of this newsgroup's name valid

The Wankel does have a crankshaft so there's gotta be a stroke involved
somewhere and the engine does have a thingie up front with regular
timing marks. I can't call it a harmonic balancer cause the crank was a
short, hefty, piece of metal and probably didn't need one.

My RX-2 had 2 distributors, a really big 4-barrel carburetor and a small
oil pump that shot motor oil into the carb to keep the seals lubricated
- just like a 2 stroke. It was a small, high-revving engine that liked
to consume gas. :-)