how many rotations of crankshaft does it take to fire all cylindersof v8 engine

Old November 30th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default how many rotations of crankshaft does it take to fire allcylin...

Only one cylinder fires at a time.
cuhulin

Old November 30th 09, 08:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Thomas Tornblom

Default how many rotations of crankshaft does it take to fire all cylinders of v8 engine

black_13 > writes:

> how many rotations of crankshaft does it take to fire all cylinders of
> v8 engine
> black_13

The number of cylinders is irrelevant. A four stroke engine fires all
cylinders in two revs, a two stroke engine in a single rev, no matter
how many cylinders it has.
Old November 30th 09, 10:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Killer Kowalski

LOL, *FINALLY* the simplest and most accurate answer!

Old November 30th 09, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
fred

"Steve W." > wrote in :

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>> Steve W. wrote:
>>> black_13 wrote:

> Bit of a bummed mood anyway. This past month has been a real BIT%^...
> Lost my 9 year old puppy to kidney failure and internal bleeding, wifes
> Blazer ate it's cat, then the radiator split a tank. Got it all together
> and then one of my friends over in the sandbox was hit and killed.
>
> Then just to make it interesting I get the flu, and this is after I got
> both flu shots!!!!
>
> I will be real happy when December gets here....

Ouch. It never rains as they say . Here's to a very happy Christmas for
you and yours.

Old November 30th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"black_13" > wrote in message
> how many rotations of crankshaft does it take to fire all cylinders
> of
> v8 engine
> black_13

Depends on what you mean. Assuming you start counting when the a
particular cyclinder fires, it will be 630 degrees before the other 7
have fired as well. In general, I think you would say two complete
revolutions are need to insure that you ahve fired all eight
cylinders.

0 degrees - first cylinder fires
90 degrees - second cylinder fires
180 degrees - third cylinder fires
270 degrees - fourth cylinder fires
360 degrees - fifth cylinder fires (1 complete revolution)
450 degrees - sixth cylinder fires
540 degrees - seventh cylinder fires
630 degrees - eight cylinder fires
720 degrees - first cylinder is going to fire again..... (2 complete
revolutions)

Ed

Old December 1st 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> "black_13" > wrote in message
>> how many rotations of crankshaft does it take to fire all cylinders of
>> v8 engine
>> black_13

> Depends on what you mean. Assuming you start counting when the a
> particular cyclinder fires, it will be 630 degrees before the other 7 have
> fired as well. In general, I think you would say two complete revolutions
> are need to insure that you ahve fired all eight cylinders.

You are speaking only for a 4 stroke cycle engine. On a 2 stroke cycle
engine, each piston fires on every revolution.

Old December 1st 09, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Killer Kowalski

The best and most accurate and most concise response remains --

"The number of cylinders is irrelevant. A four stroke engine fires all
cylinders in two revs, a two stroke engine in a single rev, no matter
how many cylinders it has."

from "Thomas Tornblom"

Old December 1st 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"Killer Kowalski" > wrote in message
net...
> The best and most accurate and most concise response remains --
>
> "The number of cylinders is irrelevant. A four stroke engine fires
> all
> cylinders in two revs, a two stroke engine in a single rev, no
> matter
> how many cylinders it has."
>
> from "Thomas Tornblom"

How about a Wankel? They are four stroke.....

Ed

Old December 1st 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve N.

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> "Killer Kowalski" > wrote in message
> net...
>> The best and most accurate and most concise response remains --
>>
>> "The number of cylinders is irrelevant. A four stroke engine fires all
>> cylinders in two revs, a two stroke engine in a single rev, no matter
>> how many cylinders it has."
>>
>> from "Thomas Tornblom"

> How about a Wankel? They are four stroke.....

Yea, I guess that's technically true, depending on the definition of
"stroke". Here's a great animation from HowStuffWorks.
Make sure to click on the "cycle breakdown" button in the upper right to
clearly see each "stroke".

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine4.htm