SPLINTER Wood Car

Old November 29th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default SPLINTER Wood Car

I just now saw it on Cool Tools, the Do It Yourself tv channel.
www.joeharmondesign.com

Nice, very Nice! it has a 700 horsepower engine behind the seats.It
isn't quite ready to hit the road yet, according to Chris Grundy at Cool
Tools.

There have been a few other people who have built wood cars before.
cuhulin

Old November 29th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer

wrote:
> I just now saw it on Cool Tools, the Do It Yourself tv channel.

www.joeharmondesign.com

> Nice, very Nice! it has a 700 horsepower engine behind the seats.It
> isn't quite ready to hit the road yet, according to Chris Grundy at Cool
> Tools.
>
> There have been a few other people who have built wood cars before.
> cuhulin

Nothing new in the world! Earliest cars had quite a lot of wood in
structure. Some classic cars of the twenties and thirties had bodies
partly or mostly done in wood. In this case the wood was for appearance,
with exotic woods with fine finish. Original station wagons all had
wood bodies from cowl back. Many early trucks had wood bodies.

My '53 MG-TD had a body with sheet metal over a wood frame. Earliest
Model Ts had same body structure.

Wooden wheel spokes & hubs were very common. Wooden frames common.
Never heard of wooden engine, though. Probably would have to be rebored
quite often :-)
Old November 29th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:17:43 -0600, Don Stauffer

>> I just now saw it on Cool Tools, the Do It Yourself tv channel.
>> www.joeharmondesign.com
>>
>> Nice, very Nice! it has a 700 horsepower engine behind the seats.It
>> isn't quite ready to hit the road yet, according to Chris Grundy at Cool
>> Tools.
>>
>> There have been a few other people who have built wood cars before.
>> cuhulin
>>

>Nothing new in the world! Earliest cars had quite a lot of wood in
>structure. Some classic cars of the twenties and thirties had bodies
>partly or mostly done in wood. In this case the wood was for appearance,
>with exotic woods with fine finish. Original station wagons all had
>wood bodies from cowl back. Many early trucks had wood bodies.
>
>My '53 MG-TD had a body with sheet metal over a wood frame. Earliest
>Model Ts had same body structure.
>
>Wooden wheel spokes & hubs were very common. Wooden frames common.
>Never heard of wooden engine, though. Probably would have to be rebored
>quite often :-)

Think Ford used wood frames on the A's or T's, and burned the scrap
into charcoal. A's according to this.
http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoal/a/aa071997.htm
Start of Kingsford Charcoal - and the BBQ revolution maybe.

--Vic
Old November 29th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Those old ''Woodie'' vehicles are nice, nice looking anyway.My 1914 Ford
Model T Runabout Roadster has some wood body parts, wood spoke wheels
too.Nice.
cuhulin

Old November 30th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tim Wescott

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:42:38 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:17:43 -0600, Don Stauffer >

>>> I just now saw it on Cool Tools, the Do It Yourself tv channel.
>>> www.joeharmondesign.com
>>>
>>> Nice, very Nice! it has a 700 horsepower engine behind the seats.It
>>> isn't quite ready to hit the road yet, according to Chris Grundy at
>>> Cool Tools.
>>>
>>> There have been a few other people who have built wood cars before.
>>> cuhulin
>>>

>>Nothing new in the world! Earliest cars had quite a lot of wood in
>>structure. Some classic cars of the twenties and thirties had bodies
>>partly or mostly done in wood. In this case the wood was for appearance,
>>with exotic woods with fine finish. Original station wagons all had
>>wood bodies from cowl back. Many early trucks had wood bodies.
>>
>>My '53 MG-TD had a body with sheet metal over a wood frame. Earliest
>>Model Ts had same body structure.
>>
>>Wooden wheel spokes & hubs were very common. Wooden frames common.
>>Never heard of wooden engine, though. Probably would have to be rebored
>>quite often :-)

> Think Ford used wood frames on the A's or T's, and burned the scrap into
> charcoal. A's according to this.
> http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoal/a/aa071997.htm Start of Kingsford
> Charcoal - and the BBQ revolution maybe.
>
> --Vic

Small part right, big part wrong.

The Ford Model T and the '28-31 A (there was a Ford 'A' back in '03, he
restarted the numbering in '28) were both steel frames. Ford used wooden
panels in the floor, specifically from forward of the front seat to the
firewall and (I think) sometimes farther back.

Some of the lower-production A bodies that were built by outside vendors
had wood reinforcing, but by '28 all of the Ford-produced bodies used
steel reinforcing; any wood was for attaching upholstery and not for
strength.

Chevrolet used steel panels over a wood structure up through 1936, if I'm
getting my dates right -- there was a joke among '50's hot rodders about
the result of a collision between a Ford and a Chevy -- on the one hand
you had a bent Ford, on the other you had a pile of sheet metal and dry
rot.

Dunno about Dodge or any of the other off-brands.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Old November 30th 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Dodge (Dodge brothers) made major componets for Ford Model T and some
other auto/truck companies too.Back in the 1960s or 1970s, some
Chevrolet axels assemblies (front wheel/four wheel drive, I think) were
made by Dodge.
cuhulin

Old December 1st 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

Don Stauffer > wrote in news:4b12acb7$0$48227
:

> wrote:
>> I just now saw it on Cool Tools, the Do It Yourself tv channel.

www.joeharmondesign.com

>> Nice, very Nice! it has a 700 horsepower engine behind the seats.It
>> isn't quite ready to hit the road yet, according to Chris Grundy at Cool
>> Tools.
>>
>> There have been a few other people who have built wood cars before.
>> cuhulin
>>

> Nothing new in the world! Earliest cars had quite a lot of wood in
> structure. Some classic cars of the twenties and thirties had bodies
> partly or mostly done in wood. In this case the wood was for appearance,
> with exotic woods with fine finish. Original station wagons all had
> wood bodies from cowl back. Many early trucks had wood bodies.

First all-steel-bodied car: 1903 Vauxhall.

First all-steel-bodied closed car: 1924 Dodge.

I don't think US automakers went to all-steel bodies across-the-board until
about 1935 or so (excepting woodie wagons, of course).

> My '53 MG-TD had a body with sheet metal over a wood frame. Earliest
> Model Ts had same body structure.

New-built Morgans /still/ use an ash frame. Believe it or not.

<http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/technical/faq.phtml>

> Wooden wheel spokes & hubs were very common. Wooden frames common.
> Never heard of wooden engine, though. Probably would have to be rebored
> quite often :-)

I wood think it wooden run...

--
Tegger

Old December 1st 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Not many years ago, Ford reproduced/manufactured six brand new 1914 Ford
cars.
cuhulin

Old December 4th 09, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:24:31 -0600, cuhulin wrote:

> I just now saw it on Cool Tools, the Do It Yourself tv channel.
> www.joeharmondesign.com
>
> Nice, very Nice! it has a 700 horsepower engine behind the seats.It isn't
> quite ready to hit the road yet, according to Chris Grundy at Cool Tools.
>
> There have been a few other people who have built wood cars before.
> cuhulin

Look up "Marcos".

wood panels and dash tbacer VW air cooled 6 February 11th 08 03:34 AM
wood steering wheel mneren2 Mazda 19 May 8th 07 06:34 PM
wood power? A Veteran for Peace VW air cooled 7 November 2nd 05 10:01 PM
X5 Wood Trim SD BMW 1 March 27th 05 01:20 PM
A6 Wood Trim [email protected] Audi 2 August 2nd 04 09:55 AM