73 Spider - SPICA

Old June 5th 05, 03:41 AM
0_Qed

~Zaitsev wrote:

> In the cold (rich) position is the plunger up? One would expect that
> if it operates on heat, then, upon heating, the fluid would expand and
> depress the switch and turn the fuel enrichment plunger down (off).

'Cold', the plunger aught be "up" ... fully retracted , rich
'Hot' , the plunger aught be "down" ... fully extended , lean

I'd opine that the heat-expanded fluid 'volume' ,
with engine running at rad_thermo 'temp',
is enuf to fully 'extend' this plunger/piston ,
which then depresses the Spica internal 'lever
to it's factory "set", full lean position ...
full F/A mix lean position.

Internally,
the "lever' acts upon a rack/pinion gear system ,
which controls the crank "throw' of the Spica's internal fuel-pumping
pistons ...
.. more 'throw' = rich
.. min 'throw' = lean , hot running F/A mix

Envison a outer crank bearing, ...
and within 'it' ,
yet another 'inner' bearing.

The inner bbg is mounted to/on 'a' crank journal ... 1 of '4' ...
The outter bbg is "captured" by the piston rod 'halves'.

If the inner crank bbg is mounted off-center ,
within the 'confines' of the outter bbg ,
&
the outer bbg is mounted 'centered',

Any rotation of the "inner" bbg will increase/decrease
the actual 'throw' of the entire [piston/rod/bbg] assembly ,
depending upon the degree of rotation of the inner bbg.

The 'TA',
acting upon the 'lever' ,
acting upon a rack/pinon gear assembly,
which rotates this inner , crank bbg ,
increasing/decreasing the 'throw' of the fuel-pumping piston ,
thus,
incresing/decreasing the amount of fuel injected, per intake cycle.

'Simple' , 'qed', when seen disassembled ...
but "dont".

Essentially,
the inner bbg allows the center of the crank journal
to rotate =within= the confines of the rod 'halves', and it's outter
bbg,
and further, within a prescribed circle .

This 'rotation' controled by the rack/pinion arrangement .
inturn ,
controlled by the 'lever'
inturn ,
controlled by the 'TA' piston.

The TA fluid-expansion 'piston'
moves this internal 'lever' up/down
moves this rack/pinion as required ...
hot to cold, & the reverse.

I cant quite recall whether the rack is 'fixed',
or the pinions are 'fixed',
and the "other" moving , controlling the effective crank 'throw'.

> Or, is just the opposite?
> Or....does my physics suck?

Nope.
Nope. ( ... and, spatial aquity )

Ed
Old June 5th 05, 12:40 PM
alfistagj

That's why I published some links down this thread.
Just bother to follow them and you already had your answer.
http://www.alfamontreal.info/Montreal/TAextension.jpg

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"~Zaitsev" > schreef in bericht

Old June 5th 05, 10:02 PM
~Zaitsev

Using the TA:

Am I to understand that the screw/bolt is adjusted for a 'cold' start
then readjusted manually once it warms up?
Old June 5th 05, 10:05 PM
Catman

~Zaitsev wrote:

> Using the TA:
>
> Am I to understand that the screw/bolt is adjusted for a 'cold' start
> then readjusted manually once it warms up?

No, the original unit will make the adjustment automatically, in the manner
of the old automatic chokes, or more modern cold start enrichment systems.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 5th 05, 11:52 PM
~Zaitsev

Wait, now. What I have existing (I got the courage to take it off) is
a hollow brass sleeve with the mounting assembly on it and a brass
screw extending down into the FI pump. It appears like the end of the
sleeve at the very tip was threaded at one time but has stripped. But
in its original position measured 27mm which checks out with the book.

Catman, when you say the 'original unit', do you mean the cold start
solenoid, the FI pump itself or the TA?

Thanks

W Roberts

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 21:05:37 +0000, Catman

Old June 6th 05, 06:55 AM
Catman

~Zaitsev wrote:

> Wait, now. What I have existing (I got the courage to take it off) is
> a hollow brass sleeve with the mounting assembly on it and a brass
> screw extending down into the FI pump. It appears like the end of the
> sleeve at the very tip was threaded at one time but has stripped. But
> in its original position measured 27mm which checks out with the book.
>
> Catman, when you say the 'original unit', do you mean the cold start
> solenoid, the FI pump itself or the TA?

The TA.

Old June 6th 05, 08:00 AM
alfistagj

"~Zaitsev" > schreef in bericht

> Using the TA:
>
> Am I to understand that the screw/bolt is adjusted for a 'cold' start
> then readjusted manually once it warms up?

That's one way to us it, just screw it in as far as the original TA would
extend at 80-85dgr C (see graph at
http://www.alfamontreal.info/Montreal/TAextension.jpg)

Old June 7th 05, 12:33 AM
~Zaitsev

How does it do that? By disengaging the cold-start solenoid?

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 05:55:00 +0000, Catman

Old June 7th 05, 12:40 AM
~Zaitsev

At 80 deg C the chart shows 29mm for Montreal and early 1969. 27mm
for late 1969 thru 1974. I have no idea if this is a Montreal or a
'regular' Alfa. It's just a Spider as far as I know. Anyone know how
to tell the difference?

Thanks, yet again.

W Roberts
San Antonio, TX

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:00:43 +0200, "alfistagj"

Old June 7th 05, 12:42 AM
~Zaitsev

I'm having a machinist fabricate a dummy TA ($40 bucks). If it
doesn't work, I'll spring for a remanufactured one. But when I
remount it, should I add change any lube oil in this section or just
reinsert it and bolt it down?

Tnx,

WR