Automatic door locks

Old April 26th 05, 07:23 PM
cdcline

Default Automatic door locks

The automatic door lock on the passanger side in my 2000 Ford Mustang is
not working. When it is locked the only way to unlock the door is by
pulling the handle. Even if I push the door lock/unlock button in the
car, it will not move. I was told it will cost $250 to have the problem
fixed. Is there another way I could fix the problem without having the
lock replaced? Thanks for your help.

Old April 26th 05, 08:49 PM
Kruse

cdcline wrote:
> The automatic door lock on the passanger side in my 2000 Ford Mustang

is
> not working. When it is locked the only way to unlock the door is by
> pulling the handle. Even if I push the door lock/unlock button in

the
> car, it will not move. I was told it will cost $250 to have the

problem
> fixed. Is there another way I could fix the problem without having

the
> lock replaced? Thanks for your help.

Probably not. Chances are the problem is your door lock actuator. This
is just's Ford's name for an electric solenoid in the door. In time,
this fill up with dirt and corrosion and just stop working. $250 seems
a little high for the fix, though. There is a chance it could be the
lock/unlock button, or a fuse, but Ford techs replace the door lock
actuators frequently.

Old April 26th 05, 08:56 PM
japhar81

If youre at all handy, swapping the actuator is trivial. Any wrecker will
sell you one for $20-$40, if you do the work of pulling it out

oups.com...

Old April 26th 05, 09:15 PM
Kruse

japhar81 wrote:
> If youre at all handy, swapping the actuator is trivial. Any wrecker

will
> sell you one for $20-$40, if you do the work of pulling it out

That is true. I replaced a left and a right in both front doors if a
crew cab a few weeks ago. There are just a couple of screws on each
door to take out. Most of what holds the panels on are the spring clips
that quickly pop out of the frame of the door.
However, I'm not sure I totally agree with you on pulling them out of a
salvaged car. These things fail so fast and frequent that I would
probably get new ones, even if they are from an aftermarket source. To
each his/her own.

Old April 26th 05, 09:21 PM
japhar81

Hes concerned about cost.... OEM actuator for a Mustang is ~$150.
Aftermartket, ~$100.

I'd go with OEM, but Im not usually concerned with cost.

oups.com...

Old April 26th 05, 09:42 PM
WindsorFox[SS]

Kruse wrote:

> Probably not. Chances are the problem is your door lock actuator. This
> is just's Ford's name for an electric solenoid in the door. In time,
> this fill up with dirt and corrosion and just stop working. $250 seems
> a little high for the fix, though. There is a chance it could be the
> lock/unlock button, or a fuse, but Ford techs replace the door lock
> actuators frequently.

If the 200 is like the Older models it does not have a pair of
solenoids, it has a DC electric motor. Available from aftermarket
vendors for $50-$70

--
There are no limits [to stupidity or kookdom], only extremes we haven't
reached yet.
Old April 26th 05, 09:47 PM
japhar81

Solenoids started in '99 i think

Old April 26th 05, 10:09 PM
Dinsdale

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:47:15 -0400, "japhar81" >
wrote:

>Solenoids started in '99 i think
>
>"WindsorFox[SS]" > wrote in message
>> Kruse wrote:
>>
>>> Probably not. Chances are the problem is your door lock actuator. This
>>> is just's Ford's name for an electric solenoid in the door. In time,
>>> this fill up with dirt and corrosion and just stop working. $250 seems
>>> a little high for the fix, though. There is a chance it could be the
>>> lock/unlock button, or a fuse, but Ford techs replace the door lock
>>> actuators frequently.
>>>

>> If the 200 is like the Older models it does not have a pair of
>> solenoids, it has a DC electric motor. Available from aftermarket vendors
>> for $50-$70
>>
>> --
>> There are no limits [to stupidity or kookdom], only extremes we haven't
>> reached yet.
>> - Quaestor

Looking at the 2000 service cd, the actuator isn't the cylinder type
like this:
http://www.stangparts.com/products/i...ntory/1244.jpg

In the 99-04s it's attached to the door latch. The best I can show is
a drawing:
http://www.corral.net/photopost/data/500/act.jpg
....and it's probably looks something like this example:
http://www.everyautoneed.com/Ebay/Pi...tFordTruck.JPG

Ford door lock actuators are $40 from this site (probably $50 to your
door) :
http://tinyurl.com/c3sdo
or $53+tax from your local Ford folks.

DP
Pics of the cars:
http://tinyurl.com/4fcsn
Old April 26th 05, 11:15 PM
cdcline

Thank You very much for the information...I have ordered the part and I
will put it in myself.

Old April 27th 05, 01:44 AM
RT

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:15:01 -0400, "cdcline"
> wrote:

>Thank You very much for the information...I have ordered the part and I
>will put it in myself.

It is real easy to remove the inside part of the door. Just make sure
to take out ALL screws before pulling on the plastic.
You need to pull the plastic UP.

Start by prying the little buttons for the windows out the door.
There's a little opening you can stick a screw driver in. From there
it's a breeze.

Automatic Shift Patterns [email protected] Antique cars 1 February 3rd 05 09:20 PM
A6 1.9 TDi Automatic OiS Audi 0 November 23rd 04 10:21 PM
e36 automatic air conditioning controls Q boy BMW 2 October 15th 04 12:08 AM
e36 automatic air conditioning controls Q boy BMW 0 October 14th 04 06:30 PM
WTT 2000Miata Special Edition for automatic Aarrrgh! Larry Hill Mazda 0 September 11th 04 12:29 AM