Largest Chevrolet Dealer Group CLosing Doors

Old September 25th 08, 03:45 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

Default Largest Chevrolet Dealer Group CLosing Doors

SNIP

>> In order to "cut costs", GM listened to the bean counters and deleted from
>> the truck in 2004 the rear door marker lights, passenger floor lights,
>> glove box light, hood light and the passenger side cargo bay light.

>> Though I could understand some need for cost cutting, did they actually
>> save
>> anything in this or did they just **** off every 2004> Avalanche buyer?

> If we can have a "no-**** moment" in one board meeting at GM, one of the
>young execs with a Harvard MBA incredulously asked WHY they had to have 5
>lug nuts on the wheels of their cars, wouldn't 2 do the same job? He
>calculated the savings for GM.

Thirty years ago I heard the story "save a nickel - save a dime".
Invariably the North Am car makers save a dime. This is why Ford
sold cars in 1968 with wee plastic plugs in the front end joints
instead of grease nipples that at the factory would have cost 10 for a
penny. I spent a lot of time selling and installing nipples in cars
back then. Asian car makers do the same thing except they save a
nickel and provide those little things that make a car worth buying.
Back then those Asian cars were **** boxes, but were still miles
(kilometers) ahead of the big three.

Dealers don't make the cars - they sell them just like Sears sells
someone elses product. Don't blame the car because some dealers play
games with you.

And your right about the bean counters who can't count customers.
It's truely incredible how these idiots can **** up a nicely designed
car with a calculator and a disconnected brain.

Henry Ford once said "If everbody bought genuine Ford parts, we could
afford to give our cars away." Think about quality here.

The general manager of GM once said "What's good for General Motors is
good for the USA." Think about arrogance here.

From the Chysler board of directors "We don't need people telling us
what to build. We'll tell people what they want." Think about head
in the sand here.

In another post some one pointed out that malibu et al was voted car
of the year. Wine me, dine me, get me laid and send me a new car:
then read my praises. If Yugo did that for me I would flog their cars
far and ahead all others (of course they would have to send me a
Lexus). When I look for a car, I get a copy of Consumer Reports for
unbiased ratings. Seems rather stupid to take the words of a GaGa
eyed little boy for Car & Driver.

Old September 25th 08, 04:32 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
adventuremyk

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:44:06 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Sep 24, 5:06*pm, necromancer
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:53:03 -0400, "C. E. White"
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >Bill Heard Enterprises closes its doors

>> >Bill Heard Enterprises Inc., the world's top-selling Chevrolet
>> >dealership group, is closing the doors at its 13 stores today, the
>> >company said in a statement. The company notified the stores general
>> >managers at 2 p.m. today, said a source familiar with the situation,
>> >who spoke anonymously. High fuel prices, canceled floorplanning from
>> >GMAC Financial Services, a reliance on sales of pickups *...

>> And this:
>>
>> "As MBJ sister paper Atlanta Business Chronicle reported in July 2007,
>> Bill Heard faced a $50 million deceptive advertising lawsuit and was
>> bombarded with a litany of complaints from consumers in the states
>> where it operated."

>Thanks for the little piece of info. Otherwise, the Jim Higgins' of
>the world might otherwise try to use the closing of these dealerships
>as proof that Chevys are not selling anymore.

I'm not sure who Jim Higgins is, but around here the three oldest
Chevy/GM dealers are in trouble of closing and one Ford dealer just
did. They went from selling 300-360 cars a month every month to
scraping for 60-70 cars each the last 6 months. They have already
shut down the used car departments, laid off a lot of employee's and
drawn everything back to just the new car showroom. They are trying to
avoid taking on new inventory and are doing their best to make money
on the used cars (which is about the only way they can these days).

I did see another post about how horrible many of the GM/Ford
dealerships are run and 'that's why I drive a Honda', yet Honda
frequently has the worst rated sales practices of 'this is the price,
take it or leave it. In fact, get the hell out and we'll sell it to
someone else' of any marque out there. Btw, we do have a Honda and it
took going to three Stealerships to find one Dealership.

You can't really rate a brand of car for having bad dealers and
another brand for having good ones. In this day and time where
desperation is the rule for those dealers, it has become an 'anything
goes to keep te lights on' frenzy and I can not think of a brand that
has been spared.

Simply walking into a dealership, especially a large one used to
turning 250-350 cars a month and is now down to a 50-70 range, is
pretty depressing. The last time I went into a local Ford dealer
(dont' worry, it was a Toyota Tacoma in their used line that I wanted
to see), there were 3 people fighting, and yes, I mean pushing and
shoving, over who's turn it was to 'up' me. I simply bypassed the
three, walked in the front doors and no less than 14 sales people were
sitting around a large table, ALL of them with the expression of
defeat and failure blazened across their faces. It would take little
to have imagined tattoos on their foreheads reading "Too Deep in the
Bucket" "Wife left" "Bills 6 months behind" "Car was repod" "House is
in Foreclosure" etc. It was seriously depressing as an atmosphere
and the sheer desperation drove me out of the place before I could
even ask about the truck.

If I recall it was about 6pm on a bright, clear Wed or Thur afternoon
and I was the ONLY customer on the lot. Evidently, I had been the
only customer to even drive in within the last 3 hours...

I did hear from a few sales reps in marketting and advertising that
some of the dealers have literally had them thrown out of the
dealerships. Yep, times are screwed.
Old September 25th 08, 05:16 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
C. E. White[_1_]

" krp" > wrote in message

> You are talking about many Chevy and Ford dealers. Chrysler kind
> of cleaned that up some, but screwing people has been their strong
> suit for the past 75 years or so.That's why I drive a HONDA.

Now that is a laugh. Two of the most crooked dealers I know got in
trouble selling Hondas. Check out what Rick Hendrick went to jail for
(well until Clinton pardoned him). The local Honda dealer has been
robbing people blind for at least 30 years. I refuse to even go on
their lot. By comparison most of the local GM and Ford dealers are
saints. To buy a Honda I have to go at least 50 miles to find an
honest (or at least mostly honest) dealer. There are three or four
Ford/Mercury dealers and at least that many GM dealers I would trust
within 10 miles. And don't get me started on the crummy local Toyota
dealers. The nearest decent Toyota dealer is 40 miles away. I can't
comment on Chrysler dealers, they don't make anything I'd consider
buying. Last time I bought a Plymouth was 1981 and that dealer went
broke at least 15 years ago.

Ed

Old September 25th 08, 05:51 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
Eeyore

krp wrote:

> Chevrolet
> excited folks with the prototype concept car the "Volt" and then the Harvard
> MBA's at GM redesigned it from a 400 mile range to 40 miles and they wonder
> WHY the queue to order them evaporated overnight. NEVER buy a car designed
> by a Harvard MBA!

Whilst I agree with your MBA sentiments, the Volt can indeed cover 400 or so
miles using its ICE when the battery is discharged.

400 miles worth of batteries would need a pickup just to carry them and they'd
weigh tons.

Graham

Old September 25th 08, 07:01 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

On Sep 25, 11:32*am, adventuremyk wrote:
> [...]

> sitting around a large table, ALL of them with the expression of
> defeat and failure blazened across their faces. *It would take little
> to have imagined tattoos on their foreheads reading "Too Deep in the
> Bucket" "Wife left" "Bills 6 months behind" "Car was repod" "House is
> in Foreclosure" etc. * It was seriously depressing as an atmosphere
> and the sheer desperation drove me out of the place before I could
> even ask about the truck.
>
> If I recall it was about 6pm on a bright, clear Wed or Thur afternoon
> and I was the ONLY customer on the lot. *Evidently, I had been the
> only customer to even drive in within the last 3 hours...
>
> I did hear from a few sales reps in marketting and advertising that
> some of the dealers have literally had them thrown out of the
> dealerships. *Yep, times are screwed.- Hide quoted text -

I should go tease the guys atmy old saturn stealership- sounds like fun
Old September 25th 08, 07:06 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
krp

<adventuremyk> wrote in message

> I did see another post about how horrible many of the GM/Ford
> dealerships are run and 'that's why I drive a Honda', yet Honda
> frequently has the worst rated sales practices of 'this is the price,
> take it or leave it. In fact, get the hell out and we'll sell it to
> someone else' of any marque out there. Btw, we do have a Honda and it
> took going to three Stealerships to find one Dealership.
>
> You can't really rate a brand of car for having bad dealers and
> another brand for having good ones. In this day and time where
> desperation is the rule for those dealers, it has become an 'anything
> goes to keep te lights on' frenzy and I can not think of a brand that
> has been spared.

I rate the Chevy and Ford dealerships for being crooks AND having lousy
cars. There are Honda dealers that are crooks. But at least the car doesn't
fall apart before you clear the dealer's driveway.

Old September 25th 08, 07:12 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
krp

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

>> You are talking about many Chevy and Ford dealers. Chrysler kind of
>> cleaned that up some, but screwing people has been their strong suit for
>> the past 75 years or so.That's why I drive a HONDA.

> Now that is a laugh. Two of the most crooked dealers I know got in trouble
> selling Hondas. Check out what Rick Hendrick went to jail for (well until
> Clinton pardoned him). The local Honda dealer has been robbing people
> blind for at least 30 years. I refuse to even go on their lot.

You can't find any brand of car where there isn't a bad dealer. Several
years ago we had a Rolls Royce / Bentley dealer that was nailed. The point
is when you have a bad Honda dealer you still have a GOOD CAR!

< By comparison most of the local GM and Ford dealers are
> saints. To buy a Honda I have to go at least 50 miles to find an honest
> (or at least mostly honest) dealer.

I don't worry about the dealer as much as I do the price I wind up
paying for the car. I'm not looking for somebody to sleep with.

> I can't comment on Chrysler dealers, they don't make anything I'd

consider
> buying. Last time I bought a Plymouth was 1981 and that dealer went broke
> at least 15 years ago.

Chrysler is building some decent cars. Their minivans are generally top
rated or neat the top. The Jeeps do pretty well in their class. The Viper
will still blow the doors off a Vette any day of the week.

Old September 25th 08, 07:13 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
krp

"Eeyore" > wrote in message

> krp wrote:
>
>> Chevrolet
>> excited folks with the prototype concept car the "Volt" and then the
>> Harvard
>> MBA's at GM redesigned it from a 400 mile range to 40 miles and they
>> wonder
>> WHY the queue to order them evaporated overnight. NEVER buy a car
>> designed
>> by a Harvard MBA!

> Whilst I agree with your MBA sentiments, the Volt can indeed cover 400 or
> so
> miles using its ICE when the battery is discharged.
>
> 400 miles worth of batteries would need a pickup just to carry them and
> they'd
> weigh tons.

The latest from GM is that have downgraded it to 40 miles. The lithium
ion batteries cal deliver far more than what is planned for the 2010 Volt.

Old September 25th 08, 11:03 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
PerfectReign[_1_]

krp turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

> Chevrolet excited folks with the prototype concept car the "Volt" and then
> the Harvard MBA's at GM redesigned it from a 400 mile range to 40 miles
> and they wonder WHY the queue to order them evaporated overnight. NEVER
> buy a car designed by a Harvard MBA!

You know, you've got a point there.

I was discussing the Avalanche with a buddy of mine. He's got a 2003, while
I have a 2006. They both had roughly the same options and about the same
MSRP ($35,000).

In order to "cut costs", GM listened to the bean counters and deleted from
the truck in 2004 the rear door marker lights, passenger floor lights,
glove box light, hood light and the passenger side cargo bay light.

Though I could understand some need for cost cutting, did they actually save
anything in this or did they just **** off every 2004> Avalanche buyer?

government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
statutes and 1% logic
Old September 25th 08, 11:20 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
80_Knight

" krp" > wrote in message

> "80_Knight" > wrote in message
> news >

>>> < Thanks for the little piece of info. Otherwise, the Jim Higgins' of
>>> < the world might otherwise try to use the closing of these dealerships
>>> < as proof that Chevys are not selling anymore
>>>
>>> Chevy is getting its ass kicked in cars by Toyota, Honda and Nissan.
>>> Same with pickups. SUV sales are in the toilet for everyone. Except the
>>> small SUV's.
>>> Chevy has been building junk since the 60's. Brand loyalty is rapidly
>>> evaporating. Their market share is the incredible shrinking woman.
>>> Chevrolet excited folks with the prototype concept car the "Volt" and
>>> then the Harvard MBA's at GM redesigned it from a 400 mile range to 40
>>> miles and they wonder WHY the queue to order them evaporated overnight.
>>> NEVER buy a car designed by a Harvard MBA!

>> You know, you're right. The top rated Chevy Malibu and Impala are junk,
>> as is the new Camaro. <sarcasm> You are a Moron.

> Thank you for your valuable opinion. Your wit and insight are greatly
> appreciated. Top rated by WHO?

The Malibu was named "North American Car of the Year" (kicking the Honda
Accord's ass in the process), as well as being placed on "Car and Driver's"
"10 best cars for 2008", along with the Cadillac CTS and Chevy Corvette.
The Malibu was also chosen by Kelley Blue Book as the "Best redesigned
vehicle for 2008".
Also, last year, the Chevy Silverado and the Saturn Aura won the "North
American Car of the Year" award. The Chevy Tahoe Hybrid also won the 2008
"Green Car of the Year" award.

As for the Impala, it won the 2008 "AutoPacific Motorist Choice Award", and
is built at the #1 rated Auto plant in North America, in Oshawa Ontario.

window closing using the key Mike Cook BMW 10 May 6th 06 12:03 AM
Boot not closing on 147 Tom Alfa Romeo 0 February 25th 06 05:10 PM
GM Closing Saturn? John Hinson Saturn 1 November 30th 05 06:19 PM
Revard BMW/Indianapolis Closing it's Doors Bmrdude BMW 0 December 15th 04 10:21 PM