Paint for rims?

Old January 4th 05, 01:25 AM
Kevin Oberle

Default Paint for rims?

Howdy,

One of my rims suffered a minor scrape last summer, and I'm working on
repairing it while the winter rims are on the car. Any advice on how I
might determine what paint to use?

I'd read somewhere to use Würth's silver, but unless I'm doing something
really wrong with it, it turns out to be a lousy match.

My rims are the 18" M Double Spoke style 135. So far, my dealership hasn't
been much help.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old January 4th 05, 01:19 PM
Alexander :-\)

In the uk most BMW dealerships will repair the rims, had 2 done already and
they come up like brand new.

Cost around £40 uk pounds a wheel. Well worth it.

7.142...

Old January 7th 05, 02:54 AM
Nicik Name

Old January 9th 05, 10:20 PM
Kevin Oberle

"Russ" > wrote :

> How are you repairing the scrape?

I'm following pretty closely the procedure layed on in this article:

<http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml>

I've got the rims in my basement for the winter, where it should be plenty
warm enough for paint work.

I just don't get it. I notice the label on my Würth can says "White
Aluminum" which is pretty much how I would describe the original colour of
the rims. Yet the paint colour I'm getting is a more of a shiny gray--
differing significantly from the original.

Could I possibly be doing something wrong, like not shaking the can enough
before spraying or something? Could the can coming from an old or bad
batch cause this?

I really don't want to have to resort to taking the rims to a paint shop to
have them finished. My dealership has been of no help; generally they're
great, but in this case they have no interest in getting involved. So I'm
a bit at loose ends.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old January 9th 05, 10:47 PM
Nate Nagel

Kevin Oberle wrote:

> "Russ" > wrote :
>
>>How are you repairing the scrape?

> I'm following pretty closely the procedure layed on in this article:
>
> <http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml>
>
> I've got the rims in my basement for the winter, where it should be plenty
> warm enough for paint work.
>
> I just don't get it. I notice the label on my Würth can says "White
> Aluminum" which is pretty much how I would describe the original colour of
> the rims. Yet the paint colour I'm getting is a more of a shiny gray--
> differing significantly from the original.
>
> Could I possibly be doing something wrong, like not shaking the can enough
> before spraying or something? Could the can coming from an old or bad
> batch cause this?
>
> I really don't want to have to resort to taking the rims to a paint shop to
> have them finished. My dealership has been of no help; generally they're
> great, but in this case they have no interest in getting involved. So I'm
> a bit at loose ends.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

Where can you *FIND* Wurth paint? Any source that lists it claims it's
discontinued.

I just painted four Porsche wheels with Eastwood's Argent Silver wheel
paint, and they look great, color and metallic are close to original,
but how close I don't know as the wheels were in exceptionally bad shape
to start with.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 11th 05, 12:11 PM
Kevin Oberle

Nate Nagel wrote :

> Where can you *FIND* Wurth paint? Any source that lists it claims
> it's discontinued.

Being that I live in Canada, I found the Canadian web site for Würth and
then looked up their sales contacts. The local sales guy responded, and
got a can for me.

> I just painted four Porsche wheels with Eastwood's Argent Silver wheel
> paint, and they look great

I'm only trying to do a spot repair of a scrape the rim got last summer,
I'd rather not have to repaint the entire rim (or set of four) if I can
help it.

-----

Here's a pic of the colour I'm currently getting:

<http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/%7Ekloberle/Images/RimPaint.gif>

It's a hair out of focus, but one can clearly see the masking line between
the original paint on the left and the spray job on the right. I'm
thinking there's got to be a problem he there's no way that colour is
"White Aluminium".

Kevin

Dent repair cost for my X5 David Pintos BMW 14 December 13th 04 11:34 PM
Getting rid of scratches on paint christian9997 BMW 8 November 23rd 04 01:17 AM
a3 1998 paint defects fiorello Audi 1 July 16th 04 01:41 AM
1998 A3 blistering paint on roofchannels roof big up 2 u Audi 3 June 11th 04 09:11 PM
Paint Damage on 156 Torey Alfa Romeo 0 May 6th 04 01:32 AM