Stuck in 4x4 High and 4x4 Low

Old October 2nd 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default Stuck in 4x4 High and 4x4 Low

On starting my 2002 XLT recently, both the 4x4 High and 4x4 Low
indicator lights stayed on solid. When I started to slowly drive away,
it was obviously in 4x4 Low mode and the drivetrain was making loud
clunks even when going in a straight line. I stopped and did
everything I could think of to get it out of this mode - pushing the
4x4 High/Low/Auto buttons with the transmission in different gears,
brake on/off, shutting off the engine and restarting, etc. without
success. Finally after about 5 minutes, it magically cleared itself,
the indicator lights both went off, and it drove fine.

I drove it daily for 2 weeks without having the problem again until two
days ago - and now it has occurred 3 out of the last 5 times I've
started the car. Each time it clears itself after about 3-5 minutes,
but I don't have much confidence that it won't become a solid failure
sometime when I'm far from home!

I guess my next stop is the dealer, but does anyone have any ideas of
what might cause this?

Thanks!

Old October 4th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
state tech via CarKB.com

sounds like the 4x4 mod. or the 4x4 actuator motor located on the transfer
case