Who was it who mentioned Fram oil filters and dropping oil pressure?

Old December 14th 09, 02:40 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.tech
SMS

Default Who was it who mentioned Fram oil filters and dropping oil pressure?

hls wrote:

> "Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
>> You are wasting a ton of money and oil. With today's high quality
>> regular oil, unless you have some crappy sludge producing import
>> engine, every 6mo/6000 miles is all you need.

> Depends on your goals. If you want the minimum upkeep, and you
> run the vehicles a relatively short time, and then just want to auction
> them
> off, you are probably right.
>
> If you want to maintain your warranty and run the car for 8-10 years and
> 100K or more, then you do what the manufacturer says, or better.
>
> At least, that seems logical to me.
>
> Oil is damn cheap compared to an engine.

Then you should be changing your oil every 100 miles. It will have the
same benefit on the longevity of the engine versus changing the oil
every 1000 miles, 3000 miles, or 5000 miles--no effect at all. But it'll
make you feel better.

"Recreational Oil Changing

The term "recreational oil changer" was coined to define people that
change their oil far more than necessary because they actually enjoy
doing it. It's easy to understand the psychology behind the recreational
oil changing. It's the visceral feel of the tools, the victory when that
old oil filter breaks free, the hot dark oil pouring out, the joy of
oiling of the gasket on the new filter, that new copper or fiber gasket
on the drain plug, the clean clear oil going in, and the sense of
accomplishment when you start the car, the oil pressure light comes on
for a moment, then goes out. For $8-10 in oil and parts, it's pretty
cheap entertainment, but if people would be content to do it only when
it provides some benefit to the vehicle it would be better."
Old December 14th 09, 06:58 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.tech
hls

"SMS" > wrote in message
> hls wrote:
>>
>> "Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
>>> You are wasting a ton of money and oil. With today's high quality
>>> regular oil, unless you have some crappy sludge producing import
>>> engine, every 6mo/6000 miles is all you need.

>> Depends on your goals. If you want the minimum upkeep, and you
>> run the vehicles a relatively short time, and then just want to auction
>> them
>> off, you are probably right.
>>
>> If you want to maintain your warranty and run the car for 8-10 years and
>> 100K or more, then you do what the manufacturer says, or better.
>>
>> At least, that seems logical to me.
>>
>> Oil is damn cheap compared to an engine.

> Then you should be changing your oil every 100 miles. It will have the
> same benefit on the longevity of the engine versus changing the oil every
> 1000 miles, 3000 miles, or 5000 miles--no effect at all. But it'll make
> you feel better.

Quoting your ideas as facts, with no scientific supporting information.
You do what you want, and I'll do what I want, okay?