Towing with a 1956 Cadillac

Old January 18th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny

Default Towing with a 1956 Cadillac

Hello everyone,

I drive a 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville as a daily driver. I don't even
own a "new" car (anything built after 1972). I am planning a 2 -3 month
road trip around the country. The car is all original but will have the
engine and transmission completely rebuilt before the journey. The rest
of the mechanicals are in perfect shape (rebuilt brake and suspension
system, etc.)

Anyway, I plan to purchase a vintage travel trailer or a new one with a
vintage look. I have not been able to find any information on the
maximum towing capacity or maximum tongue weight for this car.
I see old photos all the time with various cars of this vintage pulling
campers and boats of all sizes but cannot nail down any specifics.

Modern sedans are only rated to tow about 1000lbs -1500lbs. I believe
this low number is primarily due to the fact that modern cars have no
frame rather than not having the power to tow. Surely my car can do
better than that?

I plan to travel primarily on secondary roads instead of interstates
whenever possible. The car can cruise all day, fully loaded at 70-80mph
without difficulty so I'm pretty sure it won't have trouble with a
trailer. I just need to find out what size trailer I should get.

Any help or suggestions anyone can give me would be greatly
appreciated.

Here are the relevant specs. for my car:
Engine: 285hp 365cid V8 4bbl ohc
Transmission: 4spd Hydramatic (automatic)
Differential: 3.36:1

Thanks to you everyone.

Old January 19th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
[email protected]

On 18 Jan 2007 14:42:23 -0800, "Otto Skorzeny"
> wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I drive a 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville as a daily driver. I don't even
>own a "new" car (anything built after 1972). I am planning a 2 -3 month
>road trip around the country. The car is all original but will have the
>engine and transmission completely rebuilt before the journey. The rest
>of the mechanicals are in perfect shape (rebuilt brake and suspension
>system, etc.)

You may have one of the best choices for towing among passenger cars.
Though I admit my preference was Chrysler products with the three
speed auto, you have some serious hardware.

Plan your engine and transmission rebuild so you can get a couple
thousand miles before your trip. A missing bolt or loose nut can be
unpleasant when you're far away from home. And add some serious
transmission cooling to the system, while you're in there.

>Anyway, I plan to purchase a vintage travel trailer or a new one with a
>vintage look. I have not been able to find any information on the
>maximum towing capacity or maximum tongue weight for this car.
>I see old photos all the time with various cars of this vintage pulling
>campers and boats of all sizes but cannot nail down any specifics.
>
>Modern sedans are only rated to tow about 1000lbs -1500lbs. I believe
>this low number is primarily due to the fact that modern cars have no
>frame rather than not having the power to tow. Surely my car can do
>better than that?

I don't think it's the frame. My '61 Chrysler's unibody stood up to
about anything. But cars built in the last 10-15 years are built a
lot lighter than those of the good old days.

>I plan to travel primarily on secondary roads instead of interstates
>whenever possible. The car can cruise all day, fully loaded at 70-80mph
>without difficulty so I'm pretty sure it won't have trouble with a
>trailer. I just need to find out what size trailer I should get.
>
>Any help or suggestions anyone can give me would be greatly
>appreciated.

Here's one free suggestion: find out the towing capacity of the Chevy
Suburban that weighs about what your Caddy does and see what it will
tow WITHOUT a towing package. That's one place to start.

>Here are the relevant specs. for my car:
>Engine: 285hp 365cid V8 4bbl ohc
>Transmission: 4spd Hydramatic (automatic)
>Differential: 3.36:1
>
>Thanks to you everyone.

You have some serious iron. The previous transmission, maybe 49-53?,
where you put it in reverse for parking, was beyond bulletproof.
Yours is a great second choice for this application.

Another idea--if it doesn't have a full set of gauges, get'em added.
If it has them, make sure they work and are reasonably accurate.
Knowing the temperature and oil pressure can limit surprises.

Good luck!

Old January 19th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

Otto Skorzeny wrote:

> Modern sedans are only rated to tow about 1000lbs -1500lbs. I believe
> this low number is primarily due to the fact that modern cars have no
> frame rather than not having the power to tow. Surely my car can do
> better than that?

The low towing figures are because the transmissions aren't built as well these
days. By 1980, you really didn't want to tow anything much with an automatic,
and now, even the manual trannies in cars aren't good for much towing.

I don't unfortunately, have direct information about your car, but, if period
ads are any indication, it could probably handle the Airstream trailer of that day.

George Patterson
Forgive your enemies. But always remember who they are.
Old January 19th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Grumpy AuContraire

I've experience serious towing capacity with Caddies and would worry
about a 6-10K rig.

Also, I would definitely use a synthetic tranny fluid and highly
recommend Red Line high heat ATF.

Hope you're not going to drive it on salted roads though...

JT

Old January 19th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
> I've experience serious towing capacity with Caddies and would worry
> about a 6-10K rig.
>
> Also, I would definitely use a synthetic tranny fluid and highly
> recommend Red Line high heat ATF.
>
> Hope you're not going to drive it on salted roads though...
>
> JT

Definitely No Salty Roads. I'm planning the trip to span spring /
summer or summer / fall. As for the synthetic fluid, I'll check the
compatibility with the Hydramatic's requirements. Just as some
transmissions require DexronII and won't function correctly with say
Type F, the Hydramatic is finicky about it's fluid.

Thanks.

Otto

Old January 19th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Grumpy AuContraire

Otto Skorzeny wrote:

> Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
>
>>I've experience serious towing capacity with Caddies and would worry
>>about a 6-10K rig.
>>
>>Also, I would definitely use a synthetic tranny fluid and highly
>>recommend Red Line high heat ATF.
>>
>>Hope you're not going to drive it on salted roads though...
>>
>>JT
>>

> Definitely No Salty Roads. I'm planning the trip to span spring /
> summer or summer / fall. As for the synthetic fluid, I'll check the
> compatibility with the Hydramatic's requirements. Just as some
> transmissions require DexronII and won't function correctly with say
> Type F, the Hydramatic is finicky about it's fluid.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Otto

I have driven my Studebakers cross country countless times and still
drive a '64 T Cab pickup as a daily driver. In fact, I'm preparing a
'55 President State sedan to replace it as the '55 is one of the most
streamlined cars Studebaker ever built plus it gets good mileage in the
high 20mpg area. Besides, in a crash, it will take advantage of
everyone else's "crush zone."

<G>

JT

Old January 19th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

Robin Banks wrote:

> I'm also picking up a 1959 Edsel Villager wagon which I'd like to get a
> vintage travel trailer for. I'm wondering about it's towing ability as well.

Ford products made in '58 and '59 had relatively poor transmissions. That was
one of the biggest reasons for the failure of the Edsel line. We had a '58 Ford
(not the Edsel) with a manual transmission and had many problems with the
transmission. I recall that once my mother got rear-ended because the car
refused to go into gear when she tried to shift and she had to stop. The guy
behind didn't expect her to do that. On another occasion, she stripped all the
teeth off second gear.

Transmissions for 1959 were the same as '58.

Old January 19th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny

Hi Robin,

I've received a lot of really good information from this newsgroup
about my towing question. I posted the same question in another google
newsgroup and got more good advice. I'd suggest you go check it out.
One guy gave me a website for people who do nothing but tow vintage
trailers with vintage cars.

Here's the newsgroup:

Here is the link to Tin Can Tourists.
www.tincantourists.com

These guys also run a Q&A forum dealing with old cars, old trailers and
towing one with the other.
There's probably somebody in the group who has an Edsel.

I won't be taking my trip for another year or two. I have alot of
preperation to do before I take 3 months off work. My spare
transmission is being completely rebuilt right now. I'm going to have
to bite the bullet and take my car in next winter to have the engine
rebuilt. It works perfectly now and probably would make the trip
without trouble. I just don't want to take any chances. Since I plan a
total restoration on this car anyway, I might as well do the engine
before the trip. When I get back, the body and interior will get the
treatment.

It will still be my daily driver, though. I love my car.

Your '53 Cadillac was the last year of the "new" post war style. What
color is it? I don't have a website but if anyone wants to see a
picture of my car I can email it. There's probably not a way to post
apicture on the newsgroup is there?

Old January 21st 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny

Robin Banks wrote:
> [...]
> wrote:
>
> > I've received a lot of really good information from this newsgroup
> > about my towing question. I posted the same question in another google
> > newsgroup and got more good advice. I'd suggest you go check it out.
> > One guy gave me a website for people who do nothing but tow vintage
> > trailers with vintage cars.
> >
> > Here's the newsgroup:

> Thanks, I'll check that out.
> >
> > Here is the link to Tin Can Tourists.
www.tincantourists.com

> > These guys also run a Q&A forum dealing with old cars, old trailers and
> > towing one with the other.
> > There's probably somebody in the group who has an Edsel.

> Good idea... I didn't think of asking there.
>
> > I won't be taking my trip for another year or two. I have alot of
> > preperation to do before I take 3 months off work. My spare
> > transmission is being completely rebuilt right now. I'm going to have
> > to bite the bullet and take my car in next winter to have the engine
> > rebuilt.

> I'm doing that on my Edsel now. After 50 years, he's finally starting to
> smoke a little. So, he's getting a complete overhaul.
>
> > Since I plan a total restoration on this car anyway, I might as well do the engine
> > before the trip. When I get back, the body and interior will get the
> > treatment.

> I want to do an some resto on my Caddie too. The interior is all original.
> It's nice, no rips or anything, but could use a little freshening. I plan to
> go over the body and freshen the paint too. She's *just* starting to get a
> few bubbles under the paint now. My biggest pain is that my bumpers need
> rechroming. There's more bumper to the 53 than there is steel in most new
> cars, so this will probably be the most expensive part of the resto. I dread
> the thought of it. :-/
>
> > It will still be my daily driver, though. I love my car.

> If you can't drive 'em anytime you want, why bother having 'em. I have little
> to no respect for those that own trailer queens, unless it's something very,
> very rare.
>
> > Your '53 Cadillac was the last year of the "new" post war style. What
> > color is it?

> "Pastoral Blue", which is a pretty rare color from what I'm told. I guess not
> many people ordered that one. It's got a white roof, but I can't remember
> what Cadillac's fancy name for the white was. It's really a pearl white,
> which I didn't notice until I'd owned it two weeks. <laugh>
>
> > I don't have a website but if anyone wants to see a picture of my car I can email it.
> > There's probably not a way to post a picture on the newsgroup is there?

> Not in a text group like this.
>
> Here's my Caddie:
>
> http://www.vector11.com/rbanks/cad-front.jpg
> http://www.vector11.com/rbanks/cad-back.jpg
>
> Have you joined the Cadillac-LaSalle Club yet? I was a member, but I let it
> lapse last year. I need to get around to resubscribing.

Hi Robin,

I looked at your pics. That is a pretty color blue. I can't tell from
the photos but your top appears to be slightly off- white. It looks
about the same as mine. In 1956 it was called "Alpine White."

My car is Alpine White over Camelot Grey. The interior is aqua leather
with black fabric. It's called Sonic Blue. I emailed you a picture but
you might not have gotten it.

Anyway the little plate under the hood will have the serial number and
all the paint and interior codes for your car. To decypher it, I'd
suggest buying an specifications and options manual from this company:
Crank'en Hope Publications (724) 459-8853. They're usually only
about$20.00 or so.

It's a reprint but it will be very useful when you start the
restoration of the interior.It shows all the the available upholsery
patterns, fabrics, etc. It lists all the colors available that year and
in what combinations for the various models. It gives the codes for the
various options, colors, etc. so you can figure out what your car
originally came with. Even if you don't need it, it makes for
interesting reading. They also reprint owners' manuals. You should also
try to locate a shop manual for your car. They're pretty common on ebay
for under $30.00. Reprints are about $75.00.

Anyway, I'm glad you responded to George about the Edsel. I was going
to write pretty much the same thing this morning untiI saw your post. I
too have never heard any talk of bad transmissions in 58,59 Fords. I'm
pretty much of an old car nut and my area of interest spans all makes
and models so I'm by no means an expert on any one car. I do however
know a lot about a lot of cars and that's something I've never heard of
or experienced.

The key with any old car (and new ones, too) is to make sure you do
everything you can to make sure all components are in the best possible
shape they can be. Be religious about regular and preventive
maintenance.

I've been driving my my car, The Bismarck, for over 5 years as my sole
transportation. It has never once left me stranded or even acted like
it might. I just returned from a 1200 mile round trip Florida without
any problems. Old cars are so much simpler and easier to work on, that
even if there is a problem you can usually jigger around with it enough
to get home. No master computer to fizzle out on you.

I share your sentiment on trailer queens. If I owned a Duesenberg I'd
be driving it around, too. There's a man who lives near me with a 1930
Packard 740 Roadster. It's one of only 12 made and one of only 6 or 7
that survive. It's the only one that has all of it's original factory
installedparts (headlights, etc.) It's also completely restored. If
this car isn't is a candidate for trailer queen status, I don't know
what is, yet he drives his car all the time. He even took it on the
History Channel tour around America and put 17,000+ miles on it.

You are absolutely right to dread the rechroming of your Cadillac.
First of all, it is getting harder and harder to find competent, first
rate chrome shops. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people out
there doing it but the quality is often lacking. I've seen parts come
back with scratches, bends, waves, etc. from so-called experts. The
restoration shop I use here in Georgia often has to send parts back to
be redone.

Anyway, a good estimate on the cost to rechrome all the chrome parts on
my car (interior and exterior) is between $12,000.00 and $15,000.00.
Yours will probably be similar. Fortunately mine still looks
presentable but it'll have to be done eventually.

Regarding the Cadillac-LaSalle Club: I met the treasurer (Jerry
Nestlehutt) of the Peach State Chapter (Georgia) at a local car show.
He has a 1946 Continental, a 1931 V12 Cadillac, a 1927 LaSalle, another
V12 Cadillac, and others. In all of these vehicles he has installed new
Corvette engines!

I was so sick to my stomach, I couldn't talk to him after I saw the
butchery performed on his Lincoln and hearing about the destruction
wrought upon the two V12 Cadillacs. I was pretty turned off to the idea
of joining a club that would let this bone head hold an official
position in their organization.

Well, that's probably a long enough letter. And yes, The Bismarck is
named after the battleship. They're both big and grey.

Forrest Ward

Old January 21st 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny

Hi Robin,

You were right about the email address. I re-sent it. You're also quite
right about the Cadillac folks to a certain extent. I belong to no
clubs so I can't speak from experience. My restoration guy tells me all
the time that he pays through the nose for parts simply because
they're for a Cadillac.

Sometimes the same part is available for an Oldsmobile, Pontiac, etc
for less money even though it's interchangable and may even be made by
the same company.

Regarding friendly enthusiasts; A man with a 1957 Cadillac who saw mine
at the shop gave the mechanic an original gas cap to give to me. That
was pretty nice, since new ones are about $45 (probably $20 if you tell
them it's for a Chevy)

Here's another towing related question:

Does anybody still sell those west coast style mirrors that strap on
the front fenders of cars? I don't want to bolt or screw anything on
the car.

Forrest